Time To Move South

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I'm gonna get a little taste of that moving a boat from Quantico to Jacksonville FL starting day after tomorrow. The low Wednesday night in that area is supposed to be 19 F.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
This time of year you can expect cold night temps the whole way to Jacksonville. Winter camping.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
You jinxed us! The generator was inoperative, so no heat on the boat. Several mornings the temp INSIDE the boat was 26 F, with ice on the interior of the windows. Not much fun on the open flybridge, coming down the Potomac, 12 knot winds and highs of 36 F.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It is difficult to call it Christmas with out snow.
Bend OR.
High 39, Low 19 Clear. Snow in the forecast.

JCall

May 3, 2016
Macgregor 26D Ceasars Creek
When we left Orlando yesterday it was 75 and sunny. Landed in Dayton in driving snow. It is forecast to be 6 F. Tomorrow night.

The marina opens in 97 more days. If I keep busy working on the boat I will stay warmer!

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Pompano Beach weather forecast:
December 27.jpg

Wish I didn't have to work today. I need to work on the boat before our New Years overnight cruise this weekend.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
-16 F in Portland, Me the other night, a friend in Vt hasn’t been above 0 F for a week. We just had two weeks of Chamber of Commerce weather (80’s with wind 5-10 or L&V) anchoring around the Abaco’s.

All U Get
7FF0B0E0-C6C6-4BF7-BF2B-23D6CE7D4C50.jpeg

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Went out yesterday for a last sail of the year. Temp was low to mid 70's but the winds were 5 - 10 (mostly 5). Still a great day to be out.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
It was 14 below in Grayling MI where Cindy and I were xc skiing yesterday. It was a beautiful sunny day with light winds. Had a great time. Hoping for more snow!
20171231_113852.jpg

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
The forecast in my area of central FL is calling for two consecutive nightly lows of 25F. If true, it might be the the coldest spell I can ever remember happening here. One of those days is also calling for 80% precip, so snow is very possible.

I'm actually looking forward to it. :)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It's supposed to stay cold here and next weekend is Fx'ed for even colder than the abnormally cold weather we're having. We may see ice on the bays suitable for ice boating for the first time in years. It's good to see winter back - but I hope it doesn't last too long.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
It was 14 below in Grayling MI where Cindy and I were xc skiing yesterday. It was a beautiful sunny day with light winds. Had a great time. Hoping for more snow!
So how do you keep your lungs from icing up and becoming nonfunctional? I find if I exert to much energy, I have to breath too heavy and the air freezes my lungs to he point where I can no longer absorb oxygen.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The forecast in my area of central FL is calling for two consecutive nightly lows of 25F.
When I was a kid, about 2nd grade (1969-70) I remember snow in Clearwater Fl. Less than a 1/4", barely turned the grass white. Running around outdoors in a full snowsuit (No idea where the suit came from). The school buses couldn't navigate the streets in a flat city. I remember seeing one turned completely sideways in the middle of Gulf to Bay blvd. Our bus made it, new tires, I guess. School was cancelled.
It all seems so silly now. They don't cancel school up here in northern New Hampshire for snow under 24". Usually they just delay it for the plows. Freezing rain with black ice, that they'll cancel school for.

I was told, when I spent the Summer at Mclure's Warf in Rockland Me, that it got so cold once that they could drive horse drawn sleighs out to Vinelhaven from Rockland harbor.

Brrrrrrrrrrrr:confused:
- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
So how do you keep your lungs from icing up and becoming nonfunctional? I find if I exert to much energy, I have to breath too heavy and the air freezes my lungs to he point where I can no longer absorb oxygen.
That is a good one. I guess we dont have to breath that hard or we are just hotties, I know Cindy is. I always let Cindy lead and the view of her in her tight lil ski pants keeps me warm so maybe that keeps my lungs warm.
We downhilled all day yesterday in warmer conditions, 8 versus -14 and had a much harder time staying warm although we were bundled up much more.
20180101_115555.jpg

I guess you either love winter and winter sports or you dont. When winter gets here and our boats are stored away in the garage we can't wait for the snow to fly. Sadly we very rarely get snow at home so most the winter we are driving north chasing the snow.

Sam

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
When I was a kid, about 2nd grade (1969-70) I remember snow in Clearwater Fl. Less than a 1/4", barely turned the grass white. Running around outdoors in a full snowsuit (No idea where the suit came from). The school buses couldn't navigate the streets in a flat city. I remember seeing one turned completely sideways in the middle of Gulf to Bay blvd. Our bus made it, new tires, I guess. School was cancelled.
It all seems so silly now. They don't cancel school up here in northern New Hampshire for snow under 24". Usually they just delay it for the plows. Freezing rain with black ice, that they'll cancel school for.

I was told, when I spent the Summer at Mclure's Warf in Rockland Me, that it got so cold once that they could drive horse drawn sleighs out to Vinelhaven from Rockland harbor.

Brrrrrrrrrrrr:confused:
- Will (Dragonfly)
I think that was the freeze of 1915. Penobscot Bay froze solid from Rockland to Vinalhaven Island. That's the farthest south a full freeze has been recorded(some minor freezing has happened since). Full freezes north of there have happened more frequently, the last in 1934.

The average seasonal temperature in Maine has risen 3 degrees in the last century so the old timers are right, "winters ain't what they used to be".

https://bangordailynews.com/2015/02...mers-still-remember-when-penobscot-bay-froze/