Three's a crowd? How about seven or eight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Ben

you'd better be friendly. . .

if you were to put more than 2 people overnight in a capri 22. If the weather were perfect and there were no such thing as mosquitoes, the cockpit would be nice, but I don't think those things are likely to happen soon. To be technical, we do have 4 bunks, but you'd be nuts to put that many people in there for an extended time. My wife and I are doing our first overnight cruise this weekend, we'll see how it works out. Let's hope we're still on speaking terms afterward. *fingers crossed*

R

Ralph

Max Capacity divided by two

I have finished another mostly sucessful 7 day upper bay cruise with my two kids and a freind. The stated capacity looks confusing to me because the capacity plate has 3 numbers I think it looks something like 4/7/8 ??? My boat is a Beneteau First 345 and has plenty of room for two (or three if extra freindly) in the aft cabin, one each on two main salon benches, and two (if you dont mind tangled feet) in the v-berth. The sleeping and moving around in the cockpit is usually not an issue, but sitting down for dinner below requires some version of "musical chairs" at times. Because I cruise with my children (they can be messy at times) I would limit the number to four. I believe 6 adults would not be an issue, as long as we all could get along, and have just a touch of respect for "shared space." On a final note, it is probably wise to hit as many anchorages and ports as possible. This gives everyone a break from each other and keeps the stress to a minimum. My boat cruises at an average of 5kts, so I plot my trips for a maximum of 20nm per day.

Attachments

R

Ron Fantozzi

Two Couples

I have the ability to sleep two couples and two singles. I find that with that many people everyone is stepping o each other and it is not as fun. Two couple for the night is the max.

S

Stan Galper

Sleeping room is not the problem...

When you have too many people aboard, a crowded cockpit can be downright dangerous during tacking maneuvers. Although I have 7 berths, 3 is the maximum safe cockpit capacity for me.

B

Brian

had 7 and 4

That would be 7 to sail during the day but only 4 sleeping at night. I think 4 is a nice max number. Think of how many people you've had at your house vs. the beds/sofas/sleepingbags and floor space available. How many would you really want there, with only one head? Also think of eating space, dishes onboard, pot and pan sizes. Can't cook a meal for 12 in a 1qt pot only. Ok, you can, but it's going to take a lot.

T

The Pirate of Sha-Lin

Two Only!

On our Pearson 33, there are places for 6 to sleep, but they'd have to be very, very good friends! Once we had four, and 2 of them were NOT very, very good friends. Now our boat sleeps 2! Once I had 9 aboard my Catalina 22, but that was for a short trip to a restaurant, then a party afterward-does that count? On the same 22 Catalina, we slept 4 for a weekend. Two were teens. After my son fell off of the setee bunk, which was after I sat on him, he would only sleep on the deck.

E

Eva Rummel

Ranger 26- awesome for a twosome!

Although my boat has capability to sleep 5 in the cabin, I have a strong preference for just myself, and a special someone. It's great for weekend trips, and double-handing my boat is just delightful.

C

Carol

Cruising..Raceing..Sleeping

My Hunter 27 sleeps 5 friendly, and yeah, you gotta be friendly! When I'm cruising, 5 to 7 is not a problem. Seating is available for all somewhere onboard. When I'm racing, only 2....1 at the helm, and,1 to man the sheets. I don't like a crowded cockpit when racing!! When I'm sleeping, there is that # 2 again. Have had overnight guest often, but there isn't anything better than 2 sleeping on a boat. Smooth Sailing!!

R

Rick Adorador (USGS Retired)

Sailing a P-Cat out into a fog bank in Bodega Bay

One summer I went on a campout in the early 1980's with some of my co-workers at Bodega Bay State Park. One of the co-workers had a P-Cat, he asked myself and other people to go out for a sail. It was a calm day, with some sun. We rigged up the cat,put on our foulies and PFD's. And with smiles on all our faces we sailed out along the rock jetty and a rock outcrop with seals on it barking. Looking back at the seals as we sailed along. Then looking foward we sailed right into a thick fog bank that had moved in quickly. You could barely see 10 feet all around the boat. I looked at the owner, and said do you have compass? No! You could hear the seals barking and the waves breaking somewhere out there! It made for a long day, and to this day I will always ask the owner of a boat,if they have a working compass. And to this day when ever I go sailing, I carry a hand compass.... Sandy,if you are reading this, e-mail me. I an thinking about buying a MacGregor 26X,is it all what it's cracked up to be. captain-hardtack@adorador.net (hand compass owner)

R

Ron

How many ?

Well, 2 people is plenty for a overnight on a Cat 27, but I would not know what that would be like as we have three kids and a dog. So that makes 5 plus the dog. We have slept as many as 8 for a couple of days using the long cushioned cockpit seats to make room for two more than the stated 6 berths. Yes, that is crowded but it depends on your perspective. After spending much of my life on water in kayaks (the little whitewater ones as well as the spacious cruising models)and experienced in extended coastal and backcountry cruising where you have to pack weeks worth of gear into minuscule spaces, a sailboat that provides even enough room to stretch ones legs or stand up in is a luxury. We have had 13 (mostly kids) all find confortable and safe places to sit during day cruises. Well, I wonder how many the 27 would hold in the vertical position? Signed, Barely beginning to think of a larger boat.

J

Jim

5 not 6

Shadowfax, S2, sleeps 6 by the manufacturers specifications. 2 couples and 1 single, for a total of 5 is possible...If every one stays to 1 bag and the sail inventory is minimal.

D

Dave

Four is maxed out

Being vertically challenged, my wife and I do fine on our O'Day 222 for short stretches. Her perspective is that more than an overnighter is difficult on a 22 foot boat. I will frequently do an overnighter with a couple of adults and a couple of 10-11 year old kids. My son loves to sleep on the boat, especially if he can bring a friend. The kids share the V-berth and the adults take the settees. Not the most comfortable but tolerable for one night. Every year I do a one week sailing trip with a sailing buddy on either the 222, or his Hunter 235. It's a tight fit on either boat, but there's nothing better than a week of sailing with no interruptions. We're going to Door county next month. Should be great fun! Fair winds, Dave

M

MaySail

Where do you stow all the gear?

We have a 40' Caliber, and I could not imagine more than one other couple and maybe one other besides us to sleep on the boat. Let's see: We take the forward cabin - one double bunk; we convert the dining table to a double bunk for the couple. A child or a single could take the settee. We do have an aft double berth, but that's where we stow all the gear! If you have friends like I do, they bring tons of gear, no matter what you tell them! Coolers, duffle bags, enough beer to sink a battleship, clothes in case of a freak snowstorm, etc.

P

Peter J. Brennan

Fish and guests

begin to stink after three days. So said Benjamin Franklin and a great many others before and after him. You can find similar citations in the Bible. But that's on land. On a small boat, the tolerance period for guests is a lot shorter. Though our O'Day 37 nominally sleeps six, two of the berths are in the main cabin and I hate people sleeping in the living room. Banishing guests to the forward stateroom (AKA V-berth) guarantees that they won't stick around long enough to stink. But seriously, we find two's company and any more becomes a crowd pretty fast. Especially if inexpereinced. They can really get dangerously in the way in the cockpit.

M

Matt Loeffler

6 for the night

Last March I went to San Francisco Bay with our Catalina 25. For the week end the boat accomadated; my wife, two sons (6 and 3 years), my old roommate, and a co-worker. my school buddy took the 1/4 berth with the 3 year old, my wife and I the V berth, the older boy was on the narrow side berth, and the last one was on the floor. During the night both boys made it up into the V berth forcing my larg body onto the narrow side berth. Even though we were a little crowded everyone enjoyed the trip. We spent the night at South Beach Harbor and then in the morning sailed out towards Angle Island.

S

SailboatOwners.com

Final results

Final results for the Quick Quiz ending August 3, 2003: How many people have stayed overnight on your boat? 60% 1-4 27% 5 - 7  10% I don't spend nights on my boat 04% 8 or more 

J

Joe Murphy

Sleep

You could only sleep 4 comfortable. I would't want more than 4 on my boat at any one time. Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.