Three's a crowd? How about seven or eight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SailboatOwners.com

How many people have you accommodated overnight on your boat? Have you filled every berth and cockpit bench or do you favor the 'two's company' approach? What's the optimum number of overnight guests for your boat? And how does that compare to the manufacturer's stated capacity? Put your opinions here then vote in the Quick Quiz at the bottom of the home page.

B

Bill

Sleeps Two

When people ask the question. How many does it sleep? We answer Two. On a couple of occasions we had one or two guests on our Hunter 37, but our present 42 has never slept more than two. Bill

B

BILL ROBB

The more the merrier!

While two is the optimum on my O'DAY 30, we've had six adults sleeping on-board on a couple of occasions! When my son, who is very out-going, comes in for a vacation visit, the boat is the preferred place to stay. He then declares an open house for all of his wife's family and they take him up on it. This has never been a problem and it has always been a lot of fun!

J

Jeff

Entertains

Our 322 has entertained as many as 12, with every seat taken and me standing in the galley. It seats 6 for dinner and sleeps two couples very comfortably. We have slept 6 total, but you have to have a good sense of humor about it.

K

Kris

Us smaller boat people

Well, the most that have slept on our boat is 3. My wife, our 4 year old daughter and myself. Since it is a Cat 22, to sleep more than that...is well.....a little tight. As far as cruising on it...We have had 6 in the cockpit and 5 down below and she cruised along with no problem at all.

W

Walt Allensworth

6/4/2 rule

I like the rule: Sail 6, feed 4, sleep 2. I've spent 2 weeks with 6 adults in a 40-foot CC with only 2 cabins, and it was tight. As long as everyone has their own cabin, it's not too bad. Otherwise there's a bit of extra overhead just setting up and breaking down the "double-on-the-table" every day. Kinda a pain. Another thing... you wind-up eating in the cockpit alot (particularly if it's hot) and 4 in the cockpit is OK, six is alot unless it's a BIG cockpit... doable, but alot.

T

Todd Alt

Comfort Reality Factor To Be Considered

I own an Oday 28 which has five berths. In reality, two adults and our dog is about the maximum comfort level that is tolerable for any length of time. The quarter berth has long since become our "garage" for all the misc. junk that is necessary to have on board such as sporting equipment, dog stuff, extra coolers etc. The so-called "double bed" might accomodate two young children, but what a pain it would be to have to set that thing up everynight. I sleep on one settee, my wife in the v-berth, and my dog has his settee. If it is real chilly we all pile in the V-berth, but that never lasts for long.

T

T J Furstenau

6 on our 26

We regularly sleep 6 on our '94 H26. Ok, admittedly 4 of them are kids (9,7,5,3), but we have little other option. We really enjoy the family time, and when you're that close together you can't help but get along. We've tried several sleeping arrangements, but the one that has worked best is parents in the rear berth, youngest two kids in the V, and the older two on each settee. I figure that I've got another year or two before I have to move up to a bigger boat, unless I can figure out a way to get these kids to stop growing. T J

S

sandy williamson

cruised 5 days with two couples

we did this up columbia r. from kelso to biggs/maryhill over 150 miles, thru 2 dams

T

Trevor

4 optimal

Our Catalina 36 sleeps 8 on paper, and we've had 6 sleep aboard (but that's the exception). I mean there are 8 places for people, but that's assuming they didn't bring a single thing with them! It's usually the two of us and the dog, but we like to anchor out with another couple on occasion. Trevor

J

joe phibbs

my 2cents

In one of my favorite on-board books, OCEAN ALMANAC, there is a section on psychology of sailing. They say that, no matter what, every person needs a place to go to call his own...or you go crazy. Some humorist did a column once on sailboat advertising and what phrases really meant. "Sleeps 6" means "Sleeps 2".

R

Ron Sebring

Eight is too much!!

Years ago, after the Around Long Island Race the entire race crew sleep (at on time) aboard Rhiannon. We filled every berth. Two couples is enough.

J

Jim Wills

Sleep Comfortably

Our Hunter 32 is supposed to sleep seven. My wife and I are very comfortable in the spacious cabin and we have slept quite confortably with another couple. We take the aft cabin and they take the V-berth. We can easily break down the galley table to sleep another three but then privacy and comfort are compromised. Going to the head in the middle of night could be a problem for some. The other problem is the moving about and stowing of gear when you have more than four people aboard. I am not going to say it will never happen but I have no intention of inviting more than one couple at a time for overnight adventures.

D

Dan Breitenbach

Sleeps 2

I have had another couple on our Hunter 335 for a week, and it was quite comfortable. But in general I subscribe to the following definition of a perfect boat: Drinks six Eats four Sleeps two Dan

P

Peggie Hall/HeadMistress

It's not just about where they'll all sleep...

it's also about how many people have to share one head (most of us can tolerate a lot more togetherness in out 20s than we can after 40). Then there's holding tank capacity...how much fresh water is available. And let's face it--even if you are still young enough to believe that being stacked in boat like cord wood is fun, a 26' boat can't hold enough water OR waste to accomodate 8 people much longer than 24 hours.

M

mark

Half the claimed amount

The Hunter 33 claims it sleeps 7 I have had four sleep aboard during extended cruising and found that to be more than enough but bearable. It seems a good rule of thumb might be half of the claimed berths about right.

B

Bob Barr

It Depends

When asked, as a means of gauging the boats size, how Many will your boat sleep"? I reply with this statement. That number depends on how friendly they are and how high they are willing to be stacked!

C

Cam Whetstone

Three's a crowd

So far I have only overnighted with three aboard. My wife and I in the V-berth, and a friend on one of the aft quarter berths. The boat has another quarter berth and a dinette that makes into a queen-sized bed. If there were two couples, we could make up the dinette. If two singles, we can unbload the junk from the other quarter berth (we can stack it in the dinette). On one occasion I went to sleep for the night in the cockpit, but a rain storm convinced me to move inside.

C

Capt wayne

Sleeping with panache!

I have always described the sleeping capacity of any boat to landlubbers in the following manner: "She'll sleep 6 in comfort, or 12 in ecstacy!" It always gets a chuckle, and has started a few interesting conversations! Wayne

T

Tom Madura

No crowds

My wife and I spend weekends on our Hunter 31 regularly and it's quite comfortable. A weekend with another couple works okay. The thing to remember when cruising with a crowd is not only where will they sleep, but where to stow all their gear? What if it rains? Where do you put all the wet foul-weather gear on a boat with one hanging locker? Somebody ends up sleeping in a wet bunk. (I speak from experience). Not to mention provisions for everyone if you're going out for more than a day or two. It all takes up space. There are very few boats under 40 feet that could comfortably accomodate four people for a week or more. I agree with the formula -Drinks six -Dines four -Sleeps two Tom Madura s/v Good Vices

Status
Not open for further replies.