Three's a crowd? How about seven or eight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andy Howard

4 teenyboppers and a cat

Took my 12 yr old daughter and a few friends on an overnighter last year. Didn't realize my 34 footer was so small. But the girls had a blast and I survived.... Next year I'll be the one wearing headphones.

K

katherine_j_hancock@raytheon.com

Six is enough.

Six is enough on our boat, the 410. Myself, the Captain and four guests. There is no room for any additional people because of all the gear that people bring with them. I don't know how many the manufacturer states the boat can accomodate. It probably says eight.

D

Dottie

babies too!

Every 4th of July our family joins us from Phoenix for 4 days. And each year the family grows. This summer we had a 6 yr old, two 4 yr olds, a 3 yr old and a 4 mo. old aboard. My captain grins and bears it. This is the 4th summer now, and the family keeps coming back for more ??? It must be for memories. It sure isn't for the comfort and abundant space!

C

Captain Dave Mason

Three's a crowd.

The manufacturer says my boat sleeps 7, but two is best as long as it is 1 female and 1 male. Happy cruising.

A

Augie Byllott

How many can you sleep? That depends.

Then there's the old salt who, when asked, replied, "Sleeps six, lays 12."

O

"Olsalti"

another couple plus our two dogs

two couples and dogs is all we want to handle once chartered in BVI with 3 couples and had too much of 2's company, 3's a crowd we have slept 8 but it was a real zoo WINDWALKER S-2 9.2C

Attachments

D

David

Two, in the aft stateroom

We like to keep it down to one or two, as long as the guest and all thier stuff (surfboards, diving gear clothes) all stay tucked away in the aft stateroom. Although on trip we started with the four of us and ended up with six. How so? My brother broke down in a friends power boat on the back side of Santa Cruz Island, while we where on the front side. So I had to go rescue them. And since it got really snotty in the channel the crew on the small power boat needed to stay with us along with another friend off another sail boat who took for the mainland leaving us to tend to their cast off crew member. Fortunaly the power boat owner and cast off crew happend to also be good friends of ours.

C

Chris Bloor

No Room at the Inn

Our boat (a C-42) sleeps 6. The most we've "entertained" is 9. Thankfully it was a sunny weekend and our friends slept EVERYWHERE -- on the floor, in the cockpit, on the deck. We actually had a blast, but it was too much and we've not done it again. It was only two nights and we were docked at Middle Bass Island Yacht Club (in Lake Erie) with several trailer-sailors from our local sailing club (Alum Creek Sailing Assn. in central Ohio) so nothing was done on the boat except sleeping. And I didn't have to feed them -- it was potluck! They did wash the decks on the way home, though... When Bob races he has anywhere from 7-9 crew members. They sleep in shifts during the races, but the last night before going home is a tad cozy! Our optimum is one other couple when we're cruising for the weekend. No problems with sleeping, cooking, or tripping over each other in the cockpit! See you on the water! Chris Bloor & Bob Sheppard S/Y Great Escape III C-42 #372

D

Daniel T. Tradal

Less is more (better)

My 3 cabin has a modified table that can sleep 2 so we can boast of sleeping 8 inside and 2 in the cockpit! My favorite is arrangement, however, is Owner's cabin for me, Aft starboard cabin for my wife when I "snore" and the Port cabin for storage. Less is better and I love my boat!

E

Emil

Orgies and Midgets

For anything longer than a weekend, to accomodate the 5 berths they claim, they better be midgets and prone to extreme friendliness. You gain a lot of storage by leaving the Porta-Potti at home, but be prepared to endure the wails of those unwilling, or unable to vent ballast over the side.

K

Ken Steyer

WFB said it first

I believe it was William F. Buckley Jr. who summed it up best by saying when having overnight guests aboard his thirty-something foot sloop that a total of four people was ideal; five was three too many.

D

Dana,C&C 30' Mega,trailsailor

Sleeps 5 ,not,one bunk gets all the extra stuff,

So 4 is maxed out,5th bunk holds extra stuff, For just day sails have had 8 having fun.

P

Paul

4 ok

I think Catalina says my 34' will sleep 7 but 4 and 1 small child is about it. More becomes just too crowded. Sailing with 4 or 5 is also ideal, 6 or 7 ok. 8 in the cockpit get too crowded and only fun if calm enough for some to sit on the bow.

S

Sid R Ballantyne

T.V. Time

With us its not the sleeping that is the problem its the evening T.V. time. When we are all ready for bed and watching television before turning, in it can get pretty tight. We Have 5 berths and have slept 7. As other posts have commented it sure can bring a family together!

L

Larry Charlot

2 Confortably, 4 in a pinch

The most I have ever had sleep on my boat is four: 2 adults in the main cabin on the queen-size bed and two kids in the V-berth. The real problem with having more than two people is not sleeping space but storage space for all the stuff and food that four people bring aboard on an overnighter. The boat gets pretty crowded with gear, extra bedding, extra coolers, etc. The most crowded is when we a diving, then there is SCUBA gear and wetsuits in addition to everything else!

Jan 22, 2003
Hunter 25_73-83 Burlington NJ
Well there's been more than one!

Several different boats with several different maximums... Cherubini 31 yawl= 5. Fortunately two of us were small then. Morgan 28= 6. All bunks full. Quarter berth had no cushions though (slept on lifejackets and clothes). Cherubini 44= 7. All bunks full. Two in stateroom, three in main cabin, two in forepeak. C-and-C 35= 6. All bunks full. That was a race though so you kinda don't care. Raider 33= 5. Four in bunks and one on floor. Nice resting head on little teak shelf for not-yet-installed Dickinson cabin heater. Hunter 25= 5. Well, this boat has five bunks. Now I have another one-- same model year as the one we had when new. I am building lockers into the vee berth area so it will sleep only one. (Does anyone really LIKE sleeping in a vee berth? --my 11-yr-old insists she does.) The storage is more important now. Someone (a kid) could sleep on the floor if needs be. JC

J

Jack Rudolph

Winter of Summer?

Hunter 42 - six with no problems. Stated number is 6. So, six in Winter 8-9 in summer

Jan 22, 2003
Hunter 25_73-83 Burlington NJ
Design considerations

I really think the idea of putting a lot of bunks into a smallish yacht is to provide CHOICE, not to promote filling them all up. I think for the typical 30-ft-ish cruising sailboat about 5 bunks is right. If you are a couple you will sleep together in the widest bunk there is. At sea you will use the two main-cabin bunks. A quarter berth, provided enough of it is open on the side, is fine for an off-watch navigator or skipper under way. (I tend to prefer a decent quarter berth myself-- part of the reason I ripped out the whole aft end of the q-berth on my H25 and extended it 9 inches to make it habitable! It is now the home of the radio and stereo, electrical panels, cell phone charger, wallets and money and whatnot, and even my duffel-bag locker; there is a winch-handle shelf above it in the cockpit-seat hatch-- and yes, you can even sleep in it.) I just don't think it's prudent to see 7 bunks in something like the H30 Mk 1 (which I laid out 7 bunks for) and assume 7 people can actually live there together. But for a family of 4 or 5 including small kids (never forget most of these are family boats we are talking about!), a '7-bunk' H30 would do really well. JC

N

Nick Denton

How many - Seven

I had seven sleep over last week, as long as you end up in a marina this is no great shakes as all the showers / food etc are on terra firma. 1 at the helm, 2 in the corners behind the helm, 2 on the Genny winches and 2 sitting on the toe-rails, feet a dangling. Certainly makes boat handling easy when there are things to be done, such as berthing.

P

Pete Bruzik

3x2=6 Less is better!

Six adults is very comfortable and private for overnights - as long as the a/c is on! But if someone flushes in the middle of the night... Does the electric head REALLY NEED TO BE THAT LOUD?

Status
Not open for further replies.