Three's a crowd? How about seven or eight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JEAN

ALL BERTHS TAKEN

WE HAVE HAD 10 SLEEPING ON BOARD. THREE OF THEM SCHOOL AGE CHILDREN. THERE ARE 7 SPACES PER MANUFACTOR, WE USE THE COCKPIT MOST OF THE TIME. IT IS MOST COMFORTABLE WITH FOUR/TWO COUPLES, HOWEVER.

D

dennis b

Always too many on board!

I have room for 12 if you consider the sharing approach to accomodations. With 2 on watch and someone always in the galley, the bunks are plenty roomy enough. In foul weather it gets crowded though and everyone wants below decks and wants strapped in! As captain I enjoy the added help and if they don't mind lending a hand it makes for an easy cruise. I like to promote the "you're learning to sail" attitude with everyone on board and always ask their favorite thing to do. Deligating responsibility is everyones "honey" and being able to oversee the work being done doesn't mean you have to constantly tell people what to do. In that respect 12 on board isn't crowded at all. On one occassion I had another couple on board with my mate and myself and it was so crowded I couldn't wait to get back to the dock!!!! It isn't the boat, it's the people on board.

M

Mike O'Connor

wouldn't want to be the fifth !

Hunter says sleeps 5 4 is tough, the 5th guy/gal is sleeping in what looks like a coffin or smelling Guy/Girl number 4's feet all night!

P

Peter Winterfeld

Max Sleepers

Even though my catalina 36 sleeps more - I never invite more than another couple for a week-end. I don't like stuff all over the place and that usually happens when you have peoople sleeping in the main cabin. Furthermore I like getting up early, make coffee and enjoy the morning - how can you do that if you have people sleeping in the main cabin??

J

Jerry Milner

Depends on how much stuff they bring...

Our Catalina 27 is spacious for 2, cozy for 4, and for any more folks, just depends on how much you bring and how long we're out for. Island camping on Lake Ouachita in Arkansas is a wonderful way to spend any time away, and it give you a casual private anchorage to operate from. We do weeks and weekends with Linda and I, our oldest son and his wife, and Jameson... our 4 year old grandson. Operating from an island and sleeping on the boat works well. It maintains enough space where, once you get there and set up camp and establish an anchorage, you can dump all the gear on the island and clear up space on the boat. Without the island, things are tight with over 2 on the boat. We can accomodate 4 adults and a couple of kids, but past that... maybe we need a 30 or 35.

R

Rick Stabler

A perfect size

I have always thought that the person who determined sleeping capacity on a boat was the same person who determined it for camping tents. My 28.5 Hunter lists sleeping capacity as 6. This only means that 6 people could all be horizonal at the same time. My wife and I believe that the boat is a perfect size. It can serve refreshments for six, dinner for four, and sleep two.

A

Alan

9 but..

..a crew of 3 were always on deck. Crews were rotated every 2 hours so that everyone could stay sharp and focused on the racing.

M

Muskrat

How many can you stand

What the pamphlet says and what I can stand are 2 different things. I'll race with 5, maybe 6. But even on a 33, it sleeps 2 comfortably.

A

Augie Byllott

How many?

The Catalina 30 can sleep two in the vee berth, forward; two in the quarter berth, aft; two on the converted dinette, midship; one on the settee, midship. The key is the relationship between those aboard. The separation between the the quarter berth and the vee berth with its accordion door can provide sufficient privacy for two adult couples who are not too fussy. To utilize all seven berths, think in terms of husband, wife, and a bunch of kids. If you think of it as camping out on the water, it can be lots of fun. If, on the other hand, you think of it as spending time at a fancy resort, you'll be unhappy. You can have as much fun as you make up your mind to have on it. Or, it can be traded in for a 60 footer, with which some will still be able to find fault.

M

Morton

Sailing with 9

In response to the Pirate of Sha-lin, We have a Hunter 23.5 and had 9 people on it for a day sail. Very crowded but we had a good time, we had about 20 knots of wind and enough people to make for good balast. We have decided though we would'nt sail with that many on board again. So far we have only slept two but are planning a trip with one other couple.

G

Geof Tillotson

Half the comfortable seats in the cockpit

With our most recent boat, a 1976 O'Day 25, it's not the number of bunks that defines comfort, it's the number of places to sit comforatbly either underway or on the hook that determines the max number of folks. 3-4 adults and 3 teenagers are a nice afternoon sail size group. On the hook, 2 adults, maybe 4 for dinner and drinks. Sleeping, 2 Adults and IN A PINCH 2 young teenagers. When I crewed on a 40 footer as a kid, 5 or 6 was the max for longer hauls when delivering the boat. When it was time to cruise, 4 adults were the max. I believe that there was room for 6 or 7 to sleep on her, but it was never done. When we raced the weather conditions determined the size of the crew. Geof s/v Day-O

H

Herman Hall

sleeps 5

My Clipper Marine 32 has a V-berth, a couch that makes into a berth and two single berths in the after cabin. I have had 3 including myself on the boat for a week of crusing. 4 would be max for any overnight trips.

M

Mike

Threes a crowd......lost count @ 14

when we did the Figawi Race to Nantucket we sailed with 6-7 crew the slept 14 on the boat, on top sides,cockpit, below, no sapce was left unused! It was a great time had by all. That was about 7-8 years ago before kids!!! Now figawi officals say my OD-25 is to slow to be in the race even though I still beat some of the newer and bigger boats but that is a story for another day....I never thought Figawi was a snob race but.....

Status
Not open for further replies.