♫♪ This Old Highway's Gettin' Longer ♫♪

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I'm finding it would be good to have an anchor roller on my H260. The anchor and chain are getting heavier each time I pull them and I'm afraid I'm going to chip the gelcoat. Does anyone have one that might fit? I want to keep the anchor in the locker. So I won't want to hang the anchor from front. Wait, I'm answering a question I want help with. Convince me I want to hang it! I would still need to store it in the locker when the boat is on the trailer.

But mainly I'm interested in learning techniques to help this tired body perform the necessary tasks involved with a trailerable sailboat. Any task, really. What tricks have y'all learned?

And if you know what the subtitle of this thread is, you'll understand more how I feel. No fabulous prize like what's offered in my profile. Just something fun to figure out.

Thanks!

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
its a no brainer..... if you do a fair amount of anchoring, an anchor roller is a necessity for ease of weighing and deploying...
a man who keeps his boat moored in the water never has to physically touch the anchor, and a man who trailers his boat only has to touch it twice, no matter how many time he anchors. when he places it on the roller during set up and launch, and when he stows it during load up....

pay the few dollars more for one that is long enough so that when the anchor is being brought onto the roller and stowed, it is far enough from the boat that it does not interfere with the gelcoat.

anchor rollers are to people who like to anchor out a lot, what auto pilots are to people who make long boring passages.... it can be done without them, but once you try it you will wonder how you ever did without it....
(actually, the autopilot is better because it will allow you the time to fiddle with your anchor and rode all you want, while the steering is being tended to electronically):D:D

and there aint no trick to it....its the same as without the roller except you have a roller fairlead for holding the line off the side of the boat and for storing the iron on when you get it to the boat.
all you do is uncleat the rode and let the anchor drop when you deploy, and you uncleat and haul away when you are ready to draw it up. if the anchoring techniques you've been using has been working for you, keep using them... only with your line thru a bow roller....

sometimes, in some weather conditions it may be prudent to bring the line around the bow roller and thru a line chock to prevent chafe to the rode, but for normal conditions this isnt necessary...

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
Thanks Centerline. I ruptured my left bicep about a year ago. Makes pulling extremely difficult and painful. Let the hunt begin!

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Are you using chain as chaff protection and/or to reduce scope?
I ask because I anchor in sand and shallow water and don't use chain. My Lewmar Bruce grabs and hold with 7-10 to 1 and I keep an eye on rode wear.
Danforth type anchor? Many others offer quicker set, re-set and better holding at the same weight.
I made a holder for the Bruce out of a scrap of rolled s/s tube that came from a old pool heater.
I have a 22lb with chain for use as a storm anchor stowed in a cockpit locker.

Attachments

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
there are lots of pictures in my mac25 photo album, showing how mine is set up. on one of the many pages....
I took a quick look using my iPhone. I'll check out the pictures more carefully on my real computer later today. Looks like you've put a lot of effort into yours albums. Thanks for sharing

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
Are you using chain as chaff protection and/or to reduce scope? I ask because I anchor in sand and shallow water and don't use chain. My Lewmar Bruce grabs and hold with 7-10 to 1 and I keep an eye on rode wear. Danforth type anchor? Many others offer quicker set, re-set and better holding at the same weight. I made a holder for the Bruce out of a scrap of rolled s/s tube that came from a old pool heater. I have a 22lb with chain for use as a storm anchor stowed in a cockpit locker.
I have a danforth anchor with probably 10-ish feet of chain. Seems like 50 when deploying and retrieving. Also have 100 feet of rope. Don't really know how much the anchor weighs but it's a little larger and heavier than the one I had on the H23. Seems like a million pounds at times.

I anchored on Lake Murray for the first time a few weeks ago with whitecaps trying to blow me ashore. Didn't budge a bit. I pulled up heavy red clay. The kind moms have nightmares about. I can't help but think most of the bottom is like that in other places but I don't know for sure. I've been considering a 2nd anchor but haven't asked others what works best on Lake Murray.

Thanks for the help!

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Go to Amazon and look up "anchor float and retrieval system". This makes it so easy to retrieve your anchor and chain you won't believe it! Nothing like retrieving a FLOATING anchor! Chief

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I have a danforth anchor with probably 10-ish feet of chain. Seems like 50 when deploying and retrieving. Also have 100 feet of rope. Don't really know how much the anchor weighs but it's a little larger and heavier than the one I had on the H23. Seems like a million pounds at times.

Thanks for the help!
Is there any chance of adding a bow roller and leading your rode back to a winch in the cockpit? Then you could adjust the scope or retrieve the anchor whilst sitting in comfort.

All U Get

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
Much Too Young (To Feel This Damn Old)
Ding Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! But I'm starting to feel like a winner again with all the love that's being shown. Great responses, y'all. I appreciate the help!

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
So, I kinda like the idea of running the rode to the cockpit and using the winch. I have an extra line stopper available. The only concern would be mud on the deck. I'll have to study on that.

I really like the idea of the floating anchor. The videos look great. They show the power boats pulling at fairly high speed. If we don't need that much speed this really looks like a winner to me. Chief, do you use this system? Is speed as important as they make it look? Maybe they're impatient since they're powerboaters.

Nov 26, 2012
Kermit: Yes, I use this system and yes the power boaters just have to go too fast. With the slower sailboats I think it works better than a powerboat. I used it on my 22' Seaswirl and 26' Clipper Marine sailboat. Havn't used it on the 250 yet but it is set up for it. If you don't want to carry that big ball buey just hank on enough fenders to lift your anchor and chain onto the ring (you can make a ring). Thats how I do it as I am limited with space, don't want to carry a "beach ball"! I'd like to see your expression and you laughing when that anchor floats to the top! Just casually hand over hand it to the boat. It is fabulous! Drink a beer for me! Chief

Nov 26, 2012
Kermit: Just looked up the ring only on Amazon and costs about 17 dollars. You can also test whether you like this system by just clipping on a caribiner clip on your rode w/ fenders tied to it. Later, Chief

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
I anchored on Lake Murray for the first time a few weeks ago with whitecaps trying to blow me ashore. Didn't budge a bit. I pulled up heavy red clay. The kind moms have nightmares about. I can't help but think most of the bottom is like that in other places but I don't know for sure. I've been considering a 2nd anchor but haven't asked others what works best on Lake Murray.

Thanks for the help!
Anchor, chain, line and a big ball of clay! Uugghh!
Know what you mean, I'm the oldest guy on my team and the 3rd oldest at our work site. When the other guys are hitting the bar, I'm soaking in the tub!

Mar 20, 2012
So, I kinda like the idea of running the rode to the cockpit and using the winch. I have an extra line stopper available. The only concern would be mud on the deck. I'll have to study on that.

with my setup, I have 16 feet of chain on 170ft of 1/2" rode.... and it is ran back to the cockpit.... i never have to go on deck to either deploy or retrieve. its all done from the cockpit.

with the anchor rode being worked from the cockpit, its easier for a single hander to use the motor to drift forward towards the anchor while taking in the slack in the line, and save the heavy pulling for lifting the anchor full of mud or seaweed from the bottom....
and from the cockpit its also easier for the single hander to use the motor to back down on the ride while deploying and setting the anchor.

once I get directly over the anchor and have all the slack out of the rode, I cleat it off.... within a few seconds the motion of the boat (wave action and wind drift) will break the anchor out...no hard pulling whatsoever. then I usually let it drift a few more seconds so it has a chance to scour off as much mud as possible as it drags along, before drawing it up and onto the roller....

the anchor itself isnt usually too heavy, so there isnt much effort put into drawing up the anchor, but sometimes the heavy clay, or 'specially the kelp in other areas, that doesnt wash of after the anchor breaks out, can be almost overbearing when trying to draw it up to the boat from the bottom.

i know using a winch would help with this a lot if you have a disability of any kind, and although I havent actually thought about it until now, my method would work perfect in conjunction with a cabin top winch... a self tailer. everything is in perfect alignment.

its now on my "to do" list.....

Nov 26, 2012
centerline: Of course you realize that by floating your anchor/chain a winch is not even needed, plus the float and boat progress breaks the anchor loose and floats them for you. Chief

Mar 20, 2012
centerline: Of course you realize that by floating your anchor/chain a winch is not even needed, plus the float and boat progress breaks the anchor loose and floats them for you. Chief
Ive seen the float/puller setup done with powerboats, but as ive seen it done on the boats ive been a passenger in, my method is still as easy or easier with less fuss...

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
Just so y'all will know, I like both concepts. Obviously you both like what you use. The float has to be stowed no matter what float you use and the wet rode will still run on the deck no matter how clean I can get it. The first order of business will be getting the correct roller. Both methods appeal to me. I *really* appreciate all the help! And I promise to report back.