They think it's funny, but it's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
Lighten up Francis.......Red

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
The Jib was up quickly, but when we attempted to furl it in, it was catching. The culprit was the spinnaker halyard. Because of it's location above the mast, rather than below it, tension on the line allowed it to easily wrap with the furler, rather than allowing the furler to spin freely. We were able to find a sweet spot, and the sail furled without too much difficulty. This, however, is a problem, and we have yet to find a solution. We will need to sort out our jib halyard situation very soon...

it sounds like nobody went aloft to pull the spare halyard down (and securing it ahead of the furler) before heading out...

I'm glad nobody saw me take my 1st boat out.... (a hobie 16. I was never able to get back to the dock since we didn't know you have to back wind the jib to tack, and it was over 20knts and was scared to jibe it...) -we caught a ride back to the car an trailer...

-Good decisions are the result of Experience, and Experience comes from making bad decisions.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Hi, I'm Dan, I heard you guys need a ride ...

The Weather Channel had a good feature on the rescue of the Bounty crew. It's pretty plain to me that these rescue guys are adrenelin junkies and they LIKE getting into a helicoptor, flying into a hurricane and jumping into the ocean. These opportunities for heroism don't come around often enough for these guys and girls. The fact that Uncle Sam pays them to be prepared for this is icing on the cake, otherwise they would have to be resourceful enough to fund their adrenalin fixes in other ways.

There are people all around the world that love nothing more than going to the extreme, with lives on the line, in all kinds of pursuits, just for the thrill of it ... these CG rescuers are cut from the same cloth.

Obviously, there are all kinds of rescues, from the spectacular to the mundane, and these inexperienced guys on the sailboat are obviously of the mundane variety. But they keep our Coasties busy in a routine sort of way which is probably good for all of us in the bigger picture. The CG is being payed by us to be ready for whatever, and if many (or just some) of them are in it for the thrill of a spectacular mission, that's fine, too. I'm happier that they are around than not, and somehow, I don't really think they are overworked (or overpaid). So they may as well pull a dufuss boater off a sandbar from time to time or rescue inexperienced sailors on a leaky boat. The routine keeps them prepared for the larger rescue efforts and it gives us ample reason to have them around for the more important missions.

So if these guys think it's funny that the CG is getting to know them, I don't have a problem with it. It serves a purpose, even if it does appear on the face of it that it is wasteful. And no, boat licenses are not likely to eliminate the foolishness that people will always be guilty of. Besides, desk jockies like myself like a good story of folly from time to time to remind us that life doesn't have to be so serious all the time.

I love the German Coast Guard response to the radio call that came thru ... "Mayday, Mayday, Mayday .... we are sinking!" The dispatcher's response ... "so vhat are you sinking about?!?!"

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
Scott, I fully agree that the coasties like what they do and revel in it. But we both know, too, that they like to talk out of both sides of their mouths. Give a local police dept a boat they never had before, and they will start handing out questionable tickets to basically law abiding boaters to justify its expense. But on the same token, someone will start to complain about all the law breakers out there causing all this mayhem, and decide we need more laws and restrictions. It then becomes a vicious circle.

I would rather the coasties had nothing to do at all. I would rather they were not out burning up my tax dollars pulling total morons out off their boats.

Yeah, we all make mistakes. I will make plenty. But before I go, I will learn as much as I can before I even step aboard. Nomenclature, knots, ground tackle, sail trim, dock handling, engine operation and troubleshooting, radio and electrical knowledge, emergency measures, etc.. I dont want to be caught needing help, without at least being able to say, "I tried".

I get the feeling there are more than a few who dont even know which end of the boat is which, and could care less. But their intent to sail off to Timbuktu on thier tiny coastal sailboat with their clueless loved ones onboard, by God. They are the ones who will bring down the hammer on us all.

Oct 26, 2008
Here's the rub ... if they are not doing the mundane, routine work, there would probably be far less reason to have them around for the more important missions. Do you really want the Coast Guard sitting around "doing nothing"? They would be burning your tax payer dollars "doing nothing" and then you would want them cut back so they aren't burning your tax payer dollars "doing nothing". If I thought they were overextended, I could see the point, but I haven't heard that argument yet. I think it is fine that they are doing the mundane rescues for some of us who may or may not be idiots. It keeps them prepared and I don't have a problem with the budget for the Coast Guard.

I have a much bigger problem with other areas of the "budget" (or lack thereof).

I think that there are other forces at work which "bring the hammer down" on us boaters, and these other forces have little to do with the lack of competency of some boaters.

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
I am a little confused. I assume the CG's annual budget includes maintaining crews and equipment at the ready. I also assume that the budget is based on a historical model that predicts a certain number of rescues at some average expense per incident. If this is correct, then they don't actually start to "burn" additional tax dollars until the number or severity of incidents exceeds the current budget [ignoring budget policy as to surpluses or shortfalls]. If these assumptions are correct, we really have no idea whether these guys are costing taxpayers money or not. If not, Scott makes a good point about practice making perfect.

Oct 26, 2008
BTW, how did they get banned? It looks like they were a competing interest with their website, so I can understand that, but did they do something particularly obnoxious?

It looks to me like they were havin some fun and there seemed to be no harm, no foul.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
I personally know several 'coasties' 1) a former chopper swimmer (rescue), on 2nd officer on a chopper, 2 engineers. chopper & engine techs.

The rescue swimmer went on to be fireman, marine unit. the others still work there.

a lot of their job is like a cops, (IMHO). hours of boredom, interrupted by minutes of danger and excitement.

just like those we pay to enter a burning house or whom we call in a robbery.

Sure there is some waste in government, but I'd rather rescues are done by non-profits, than anyone else.

you may have missed my post on the friends boat (25'wellcraft) that was taking on water, and the salvage discussion with Boats us. -basically Boats US was happy to stand by and watch us sink, before assisting. unless they could get 10% of the boats value. -thankfully USCG intervened and towed us in.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
For those that object to the "waste" of tax dollars on the Coast Guard, Police departments and fire departments; The next time you have an emergency get yourself out of it and don't call for help from the very people you object to paying.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
For those that object to the "waste" of tax dollars on the Coast Guard, Police departments and fire departments; The next time you have an emergency get yourself out of it and don't call for help from the very people you object to paying.
Scott is a pond sailor, he doesn't know the Coast Guard mission.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
OKAY, by extension I shouldn't have to get a license to fly a plane because the sky is free. I don't like government regs any more than the next guy. I have encountered some of the stupidest people who just wrote a check got the boat (missle) and off they went. I was rammed by one of them. They had no insurance and were S...Faced. The Park Rangers arrested them and impounded the boat and I had to sue for the damages. Sorry folks, but some sort of certification should be required, like knowing port from starboard, before ya plop down 30-40K and become a menace. I'm jus' sayin'

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
+1 Public safety is one of the few areas I have no objection paying taxes.

May 27, 2012
I have no objection to the coast gaurd helping people in need, nor do I have objection to calling them myself, should the need arise. I do however, object to people being as ignorant as they are able, and then expecting help when they blatantly ask for trouble.

Case in point, a subject I know well, Minnesota Ice Fishermen. They often refuse to go out on safe ice, in fact often going out on on ice that is posted as "thin". And wonder of wonders, they fall through. Did someone point a gun at their head to go out there? Nope. But the police and fire depts feel duty bound to go out and rescue the dummies. I told my daughter the only ones I would rescue was a kid, or a dog, as neither of them had the capacity to know any better. I bet if a few were left to die out there, the word would get out and people would wise up.

This sailing stuff isnt rocket science, all one needs do is some basic study, some practice in sheltered waters, and ask for help. Thats where this forum really shines, you ask the stupidest question and get an intelligent response, or multiple ways of solving the same problem.

I can absolutely guarantee that should the CG become heavily burdened to the point they need addition manpower and support to keep from getting overwhelmed, someone is going to start asking questions and looking for a way to minimize the burden. And that will mean licensing.

May 27, 2012
OKAY, by extension I shouldn't have to get a license to fly a plane because the sky is free.
It once was free, but the death toll of the ignorant, coupled with extensive property destruction, brought about ....... licensing.

The waters will stay free as long as we act like we know what were doing. Lacking that, expect licensing.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
It once was free, but the death toll of the ignorant, coupled with extensive property destruction, brought about ....... licensing.

The waters will stay free as long as we act like we know what were doing. Lacking that, expect licensing.
Exactly, Only problem is the gene pool is getting thinner and everyone wants their rights without responsibility. Don't get me started......

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
But wait!

There are enough idiots out there, falling through thin ice, sinking in inadequate boats, having minimal to non existent skills, and basically making the rest of the adult human population look bad.
I disagree with you there - the idiots among us actually make the rest of us look pretty good!

(but, to outsiders looking in on earth in general, I get what you are saying...)

May 27, 2012
I disagree with you there - the idiots among us actually make the rest of us look pretty good!
Thats true, but as long the stupid ones keep doing stupid things, and then requiring to be rescued because of it, regulations may come down on all of us.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I used to be in the rescue business, it was sometimes helpful to remind my co-workers that if the average IQ was just a couple points higher some of us would be employed elsewhere. Those in the "frequent flyers" club were known as Job Security.;)

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Watch the wild critters and the cats. They are very careful about going into harm's way. I do everything as though there is no chance of rescue and no chance of medical assistance. The Coasties maybe be able to find you and bring you home but they can't repair your broken carcase.

Status
Not open for further replies.