The project moves forward...

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
10 minutes and 4 posts. LOL
My phone was beeping like crazy and now nothing. ;)

Seriously though. I can fully understand the excitement. Good job sir !

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
Well it doesn't help that I can only post one pic at a time!
Heading back now to finish the bottom coat tonight so we can keep moving forward tomorrow. Should be able to get it out and take some better pics tomorrow!!

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
Made some good progress again today. Finished the bottom paint, painted the rudder, finished installing the lighting on the trailer, and got the new mast wiring pulled! Tomorrow the focus will be on the mast, and maybe the on board electrical system.
Should get some pics of Time Out in the sunshine too!

Not how I envisioned spending this vacation, but it's worth it.

ForumRunner_20150623_221605.jpg

ForumRunner_20150623_221551.jpg

ForumRunner_20150623_221535.jpg

ForumRunner_20150623_221519.jpg

ForumRunner_20150623_221502.jpg

(Posting these from an Android tablet, as it can do more than one pic upload at a time)

ForumRunner_20150623_221447.jpg

ForumRunner_20150623_221429.jpg

ForumRunner_20150623_221410.jpg

May 19, 2014
Catalina 22 #13555 Lake Winnebago, Oshkosh, WI
Maybe I missed it in an earlier post, but what are you using on your bunk boards? It looks like you have garden hoses instead of bunk carpet. Is that right or is it just me?

Boat looks amazing btw. Well done. Betchya can't wait till she touches water.

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
Hi Drinkmilk,
Yes I am using garden hose for the bunks. I got the idea from a couple of C22 owners when I visited the Arlington Yacht Club several months ago. I built a jig to hold a utility knife to slit the hose so I could screw it from the inside, with the slit on the downslope for drainage. It works great, at least it seems to be very well cushioned. I don't think I'll ever go back to carpet on my bunks after seeing the damage caused to the hull from the carpet trapping water, rotting the wood, which trapped more water, which started to cause osmotic blistering where the bunks supported the hull.

Attachments

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
So we stepped the mast last night, and then I spent the morning putting on shroud covers, running lines, stuff like that. But I have to admit to a lot of confusion about the boom. I may have to seek out another willing C22 sailor for advice.
After leaving the mast up overnight, we chose to drop it again as they're predicting storms again this weekend. The launch may not happen this weekend due to other commitments, but we are aiming for next Friday. I can't wait!!!

Attachments

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Congratulations !

We too, put up the mast on ours for the first time yesterday, so I could measure for a new mainsail. Same type of forecast too. We had great weather but the sky was threatening. A few areas nearby got hit with major localized thunderstorms and a few tornadoes.

I had a box of rope and had to figure out which was which, and how the lines were run.
I must say the factory outhaul sucks on our 1987. Reminds me of a Laser. LOL.

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
What a day! Fabulous sailing weather, winds 10-15, a little gusty, but that's ok. We chose Inks Lake in Texas for the launch because with the "little boats" our mini fleet of Sunfish and Aquafinns, we had been there a lot. It's a constant level lake, so it always had water even in the worst of the recent drought we saw here in TX. It does have some fluky wind patterns through the opening to the cove where the state park is, but we knew what to expect.

It took a lot longer than expected for everything! Loading, making the boat road ready, stepping the mast, rigging the boat, loading afterwards, everything! But seeing her float off the trailer, then at the dock waiting for us to board, cast off the lines and go sailing was absolutely wonderful! And the little 2.5 hp air-cooled outboard that came with the boat worked great! Started in 1-2 pulls every time, and was able to move the boat around just fine. I know it isn't big enough to handle it when conditions turn sour, and I'm planning to get a Sailpro soon, but it worked, and I was thankful for that!
Due to time and other things, we didn't get to do as much sailing as I would have liked, but we sure had a blast! Got to practice anchoring also. The original design C22's really aren't set up too well for handling the ground tackle. I guess I need to get a bag for the chain and rode to hang off the bow pulpit or something, because when I was raising the anchor, I was on the boat solo, and had to just drop it back down the forward hatch onto the cushions. Not ideal by any stretch. I had meant to take it back to the cockpit and put it down in a lazarette locker, but the boat started to fall off the wind and there wasn't a lot of room to the lee shore.

There's nothing like sailing into a sunset, though. I was able to get my 82 year old father safely onboard for his first ever ride on a sailboat, and he had to agree that he could see why we liked sailing so much. We had a lot of friends there to witness the launch, and we're blessed to also have a good friend who has his captain's license, and is a marine surveyor to come coach us on getting the boat setup and rigged.

Next time we should be quicker with the setup and takedown. I must say though that the new gin pole I made worked like a CHAMP! I pulled my back when we practice stepped the mast at the storage facility, so this is a nice tool.

Attachments

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Great to hear !
I thing that any one of us here can relate to the sheer joy of being out on the water.

It especially nice when all the effort comes to fruition. :)

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
Yes, it's been a while again since I've updated this thread, but I have pictures that include water!
We have had Time Out to three different lakes now, and am loving sailing her as opposed to just being "boat slave!"
But I must say, it drives me crazy to see all the scratches she's getting.

Jerry Ludgate

Attachments

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
It's amazing that after 27 years "LadyHawke" has as few scratches as she does. Either I'm a terrible owner or she was lightly used. Seems like she gets a new wound on every trip!!!

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
Scratches are signs it's being used IMO. :)
That's what the Admiral keeps reminding me of!
Yesterday though, I thought we had put a hole in the hull with contact with a gnarly metal corner/ stabilizer for the dock. Fortunately it was only a bad scratch. It's just sad to see them appear on an otherwise great looking boat that you've put so much effort into.

Attachments

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
One problem with trailerable boats IMO is the increased risk of damage, from launching, beaching etc.

As for dock rash, yeah some of them seem to be built specifically to damage hulls.
One time I was docking a heavy Formosa 43, and at the last minute, upon making a tight turn into the slip, noticed that the finger had a piece of angle iron sticking out of it right at the planned point of contact.
A "little" panic, and quick action, and all was good in the end, but my heart was in my throat at the time. My brain was saying.. no NO NO NO NO.
To make matters worse, the owner of the boat was aboard. You could tell he wanted to take over the helm, but he didn't. While I was wishing he would. hehe.
It made enough of an impression that I remember the day/boat/dock like it was yesterday.

I've been wary of unfamiliar docks since then.

The biggest trick is having a roving fender at hand, when docking. Your crew can simply run up and hold it in place to protect the hull were/as needed. This is in addition to the normal fenders. I like oversized round ones for that use, but others like a sausage style one with a line tied to both ends so you can hold it horizontally if needed.

Edit: Great photo BTW. I love the perspective.