The project moves forward...

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
Thanks Don! We're still on the first coat. Even with this easier-to-use Brightsides paint, there's still a learning curve to find the best technique for not getting runs or sags in the paint. But I love the finish it gives, and the coverage is nice. I'll share pics of the cabin later. We ended up running out of paint partway thru, but it's looking like new!

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
I remember years ago when I refurbished a little Butterfly scow. I did all the priming and sanding and finally came the day for the top coat. I did the roll and tip method, and got all worried by all the bubbles in the paint after I rolled it. Then a few minutes later it all flowed out and looked like it was sprayed! Wet sanded between a couple more coats and it was AWESOME!

Don

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
Ok I know it's been awhile again, but thought I'd share some of the progress we've gotten done on Time Out. Been traveling most of August, and finally have some time to spend on the restoration. Can't help getting excited seeing this boat go from a blotchy looking mess and transform into a brand new 40 year old boat! All the fiberglass repairs are done, the primer coats have been sanded down, the hull, deck, cabin, cockpit all have been painted, and tonight the final area needing paint got done - all the nonskid! Tomorrow will go over and do any touch ups that may be needed, and then I can start rebuilding it, installing all the hardware and rewiring, every system these boats have needs to be reinstalled. But we're getting closer with every hour spent on it. I promise I'll share better pictures tomorrow when the masking tape comes off.

Attachments

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
Better pics as promised...

Attachments

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
I'm also re-tinting and re bedding the windows. Old tint is tenacious! But the new tint (20%) is done on the two forward windows. It looks like it would be better to give them a few days to cure before stuffing them back in the frames. Any tips to make that step easier?

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
Thanks DixieDawg!
Waiting on my last order of more paint to do the final touch ups and then this stage will be done! Dance!!!

I have another question though. Isn't there a wooden ring that goes around the top of the compression post? Seems like I remember taking one out, but over time it has either hidden itself well, or my memory isn't what it used to be!

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
My memory isn't what it used to be either. Plus, my computer crashed and I lost all the pics of my '79. :(

Feb 28, 2005
Catalina 22 1909 North East, Md.
Time_Out, there is a wooden ring that goes around the top of the compression post, if I remember correctly it has 3 evenly spaced countersunk screw holes for screws to be driven up into the cabin ceiling.

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
Thanks Barry,
I guess it's time to try my hand at making one of these parts. ?

Jerry Ludgate

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
After extensive excavation in the garage, I finally found the wooden ring that I was looking for, along with my upgraded chain plates, keel cable, hose, knot meter, and some other stuff!! Look out, cause things are going to start coming together much faster now!

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
The wood is just marine grade plywood with a mahogany finish (I think!). I shaped it with a grinder to fit as it should in the liner, then sanded and just used Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane, gloss finish, with several coats. Wasn't really keeping track as much as just using the TLAR approach! No stain or anything else. Of course the compression post is the original, but I like the way it looks together!

On a side note, I happened to go by the Arlington Yacht Club yesterday as "Bulletproof" and "Who Dat? AAGB" were being hauled, and got some ideas off their boats. Notably, the use of garden hose screwed to the top of your trailer bunks for use as a more effective cushion for the hull than carpet provides. So far, I've been impressed with the level of friendliness and support exhibited among my fellow C22 owners, even to someone who has only ever just been working on his boat so far! I greatly appreciate the help and encouragement available both here on this forum and in person. Not sure I would have been able to tackle a project like this if I had to be a lone ranger!

Jerry

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Thought you might like to see a few pics of some of the wood trial fit in place in the cabin.
This looks fantastic! I'm seriously considering doing this on my boat, only thing is I have all of my orginal wood work and nothing is really damaged at all, just needs refinishing.

There are pros and cons to replacing I suppose, and I can just store my original wood just in case. Also, I may not be the only person in this camp, but I HATE the look of the wood compression posts. I'll be replacing mine with polished SS 304 tube.

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
More progress pics from this weeks work so far. Rubrail back in place with the new rubber insert from CD; Sheer stripe, new boat name, and registration numbers on; jib tracks mounted outboard on the toe rails; lazarette hatches weather sealed (still needing hinges installed); traveler bar reinstalled. It's starting to really take shape. Hoping to get the waterline re painted tomorrow. Was aiming for a launch this weekend, as we have a family camp out planned, but it's not quite ready, and I don't want to haul it 5 hours away on its first trip to the water in so many years.

Attachments