The Official "What Did You Do To Your Mac Today" Thread!

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I love it when I dream "I wish they made a [xyb]" and then discover they actually do ;) . I wasn't thrilled with the "cable through the horn cleat" arrangement of my spinnaker sheet blocks, and found these very cool Harken stanchion mounted swivel blocks to replace them. After the photo, I cut the ones on the horn cleats off. I'm much happier now ;) .
P1050974.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I'm so much happier now
What's the block(s) of wood doing there at the pulpit base? The lower you can mount your turning blocks, the less force you'll apply to the tube and mounting fasteners.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Yesterday we motored about 6 miles to a cove, spent the night and then motored 6 miles back and I have a new small hassle. Because the batteries are always at capacity, I have to disconnect the outboard from the battery if I motor this long to make sure I dont get over charging.
I've motored long distances having also the solar and not sure it has ever hurt my batteries. Don't have to add water often. I think the outboard is only about 6 amps output. An hour and a half would only be 9 amp/hr which is less than 5% of the batteries capacity. If worried take something that would put a 5-6 amp load on the batteries and/or alternator when you wanted to motor and the batteries were topped off.
Well. did something dumb.. I have a high current switch in the Laz area that I use to disconnect the outboard power wires from the boats DC and the other day did a fair amount of motoring under auto pilot steering with this switch off. What I didnt realize is that I had the tiller pilot wired in after this switch so turning off the switch also turned off power to the tiller pilot but it left the tiller pilot still connected to the outboard charging system. Tiller pilot still mostly seemed to work fine because it was still getting power but that power was from ONLY the outboard and it was unregulated. Fortunately I have about a 200 uf capacitor on the power going to the tiller pilot but I have no idea what voltage it was getting. I had it lose lock once or twice.. hopefully it was because of the screwy voltage and not some sort of damage.

Also, I realized that even with mondo solar panel keeping the batteries fully charged and also running the outboard (which generates current when running), I should not have a problem with overcharging by the outboard. The reason is that a bunch of loads including the fridge, auto pilot, gps depth, radio etc are drawing power (along the lines of what Sumner suggested) and that should exceed what the outboard can generate. Since the solar panel is on a charge controller, the controller would just shut down the solar panel current if the voltage got too high.

So. I dont have a problem and even though the batteries are fully charged all the time, I pretty much never need to worry about the outboard over charging the batteries. I will watch this for a while.. but like Sumner, I dont expect to have any issue and can always use the electric start.

Last edited:

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
With the new Spinnaker, drone, and KAP to deal with this season, I may have more to do than I have hands, so I finally broke down and bought a tiller pilot (Raymarine ST1000+). I have mixed emotions about using one, but I'm sure there will be times when I'll be glad to have it available.

P1050981.jpg P1050984.jpg

In typical project creep fashion, it also became obvious that I really need to spruce up the electrical system as well. it's quite a rats nest behind the switch panel. It's long overdue anyway, and I've been wanting to add some device charging ports in the cabin,....... Sooooo. I've ordered two complete switch/fuse panels, a couple charging ports, and misc wiring goodies to do a full rewire of the boat. oh joy, I can hardly wait ;) .

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Spinnaker and tiller pilot.. Russ.. you are going to have fun with new stuff. Im down to less than a week for pulling the boat. Trying out some tiller pilot testing today
sailing1.jpg

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Spinnaker and tiller pilot.. Russ.. you are going to have fun with new stuff. Im down to less than a week for pulling the boat. Trying out some tiller pilot testing today
We had a bit of snow last night, yet the forecast is for 69 next Thursday and 70* Friday. However they're also saying that April may be wetter and cooler than average this year [shrug]. I guess it will be spring up here some day.
Do you take out there because conditions wane, because things are picking up in Co., or because you pulled the starter rope out of your outboard? :laugh:

walt

Jun 1, 2007
whole bunch of reason to pull the boat out of the slip including the slip fees doubling in price starting in April, lake gets way more crowded with loud and obnoxious power boats. April is still nice but by mid May, it can get very hot here - like over 120F.

We may do a trailer trip with the 26S late in April and hopefully the Hobie TI gets a bunch of use in the next month.

Last edited:

Macboy

Aug 8, 2014
Macgregor 26S Sherwood Park, Alberta
With the new Spinnaker, drone, and.......
Meriachee gave me a bad case of "drones on my mind" late last season. What's this drone you speak of? I'm so, so tempted but it seems silly to dive in just for a few minutes of fun footage......but we're talking seriously fun footage.....hahaha

I've ordered two complete switch/fuse panels, a couple charging ports, and misc wiring goodies to do a full rewire of the boat. oh joy, I can hardly wait ;) .
I'll be watching your undertaking. I'll be crimping wires in a few weeks here I think.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Meriachee gave me a bad case of "drones on my mind" late last season. What's this drone you speak of? I'm so, so tempted but it seems silly to dive in just for a few minutes of fun footage......but we're talking seriously fun footage.....hahaha
I bought an UpAir One 2.7K. This seems to be one of the better low/mid priced (~$300) drones at the moment, and one of the few that comes with it's own screen (no smartphone required). I just couldn't justify the $1200.00 top rung units when sinking it is always a possibility. I've only flown it a few times here at home, and once at the coast so far, but it seems to do quite well for the price point. I may be trying it out tomorrow, as we're headed to the lake, with the little boat, for the day. ;)
P1050920.jpg

Another project I've been working on is a KAP (kite aerial photography) setup, which may prove to actually be more useful for sailing footage. it's a large kite (power sled 24) with a home made picovet camera stabilizer. I tried it out at the coast last week and found it to still be a bit shaky for good video, so I've added a 3 gimbal stabilizer (Hohem) to the picovet/Go-pro. I'm taking it tomorrow also for a test if there is decent sailing wind. I'm thinking the drone will be good for very light wind only, wile the kite can handle pretty much all I can handle ;) . There are two swim docks on one of our main lakes, so I plan to take off and land the drone from one of those. landing on the boat, or having my wife catch it, does not appeal to me (or her) at the moment.

I'll be watching your undertaking. I'll be crimping wires in a few weeks here I think.
I'm expecting to start receiving parts later this week also. pretty basic stuff, but I will post a couple pics of that as well ;) .

Macboy

Aug 8, 2014
Another project I've been working on is a KAP (kite aerial photography) setup, which may prove to actually be more useful for sailing footage. it's a large kite (power sled 24) with a home made picovet camera stabilizer. I tried it out at the coast last week and found it to still be a bit shaky for good video, so I've added a 3 gimbal stabilizer (Hohem) to the picovet/Go-pro.
Holy cow. Kindred spirits or what.....I too have built a picovet which I haul up with a gorgeous Ghost delta. The original plan was to launch it off the stern rail - just haven't done it yet. Tried it in the soccer field and like you, found it a bit wobbly for stills (time-lapse mode on GoPro). Video was okay though....still wiggly. I didn't go the gimbal route though - I shelved the picovet with intentions of replacing the eyelets where the line runs through with bicycle chain link (acts like a small bearing). Haven't done so yet.

I plan to take off and land the drone from one of those. landing on the boat, or having my wife catch it, does not appeal to me (or her) at the moment.
I got super pumped when I saw the palm launched DJI Spark but it looks like it's been replaced by the "launch from land [i.e.: a stable, not moving around surface]" DJI Mavic Air. There is a lot of discussion about constantly updating the "return to home" data but it looked almost plausible that you could launch the Spark from a moving boat and return to it. I'd still be inclined to fashion floats of some sort. Likely wouldn't protect against water damage but at least the drone wouldn't be sunk. I redirected my splurge money into a motorized camera dolly/slider setup so we can get cool shots from on the boat - just not aerial shots.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Holy cow. Kindred spirits or what.....I too have built a picovet which I haul up with a gorgeous Ghost delta. The original plan was to launch it off the stern rail - just haven't done it yet. Tried it in the soccer field and like you, found it a bit wobbly for stills (time-lapse mode on GoPro). Video was okay though....still wiggly. I didn't go the gimbal route though - I shelved the picovet with intentions of replacing the eyelets where the line runs through with bicycle chain link (acts like a small bearing). Haven't done so yet.
A chain link might work pretty slick. good idea. I installed some cheep hardware store blocks and it did help smooth things out a great deal, but not enough to make what I consider "good" video. thus the gimbal. might be able to eliminate the picovet altogether, but I already had it so I used it. might prove simpler to launch without the picovet, but I'll try it this way first.

P1050990.jpg P1050994.jpg
I got super pumped when I saw the palm launched DJI Spark but it looks like it's been replaced by the "launch from land [i.e.: a stable, not moving around surface]" DJI Mavic Air. There is a lot of discussion about constantly updating the "return to home" data but it looked almost plausible that you could launch the Spark from a moving boat and return to it. I'd still be inclined to fashion floats of some sort. Likely wouldn't protect against water damage but at least the drone wouldn't be sunk. I redirected my splurge money into a motorized camera dolly/slider setup so we can get cool shots from on the boat - just not aerial shots.
My drone doesn't have a "follow me" feature, but the more expensive ones do. mine will "return to home" but home would be long gone when it came time to land :( .
I've seen some attempts at floats, but they all seem to mess with the aerodynamics way to much. there is always the "splash" drone, but at $1300.oo ... naaaaaa.

Any pics of your "dolly/slider" setup? sounds interesting.

Last edited:

Macboy

Aug 8, 2014
https://www.revolvecamera.com

The Dolly system runs on rails which can be made to any length as long as the material can support the weight. I would like to try a pvc rail set from pulpit to stern rail, cantilevered out over the side, supported where required by halyards. You can hang the dolly under the rails so if done right I should be able to get camera-rig free shots. I am also building up a stop motion studio setup here for "one day" use (day job) so the investment was doubly justified for me. I bought the slider/dolly bundle and the pan [or] tilt head. I do a LOT of time lapse and wanted a good way to add better shots to my footage. They gave me a coupon AFTER I bought (of course) but anyone interested can use it to get themselves 10% off until April 24. I get a $20 kickback. http://revolvecamera.refr.cc/kellydavies

Sorry if we're not supposed to be 'chatting' like this in this thread. Or posting referral links.....I'll be working on the boat very soon I swear! Ordered the bulk of my goodies yesterday.....charge controller, switch panel, buss bars, fuse blocks, lights, switches, 12v outlets....oh my! hahaha

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Sorry if we're not supposed to be 'chatting' like this in this thread. Or posting referral links.....I'll be working on the boat very soon I swear! Ordered the bulk of my goodies yesterday.....charge controller, switch panel, buss bars, fuse blocks, lights, switches, 12v outlets....oh my! hahaha
Well, it's not like we're the only ones ;) . I got my switch/fuse panels today for the Mac, so work awaits when we get back from sailing. :yeah:

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Got the new switch/fuse panels installed today and ALL the wiring replaced :confused: . there were basically two colors of wire in the entire old rats nest. red and black.... well, except for the sections where speaker cord or green/yellow trailer light wire was spliced into the middle of an area where they ran out of black or red :eek: .
I tried to use a unique color for each +circuit and black for all ground circuits. each wire is labeled where they terminate at the switch panel etc. a new main fuse is now located next to the bat+ and every circuit has it's own rated fuse as well. I also added (4) USB and cig lighter power plugs, along with a system volt gauge, above the new panels.
On a side note, I picked up a Brother label maker at Staples and was amazed at the low price of $24.95 . High marks for being very versatile and easy to use. all the wire labels and the switch/fuse panel labels were made with it. model P-touch PT-210

P1060014.jpg

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
As long as the boat was a mess anyway, I also added a "storage rack" to hold the new Tiller pilot, below it's service location, when not being used.

P1060013.jpgP1060012.jpg

Last edited:

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
On a side note, I picked up a Brother label maker at Staples and was amazed at the low price of $24.95 . High marks for being very versatile and easy to use. all the wire labels and the switch/fuse panel labels were made with it. model P-touch PT-210..
The work looks nice!! Like the compartment for the auto-pilot.

Having a label maker is nice. We bought the more expensive Brother's PT-2730 and love it. I just looked at current prices for it and know we didn't spend anywhere near what they are asking now.

Sumner
=============================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas