The Lighter Side of Social Distancing

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Some of us of a certain age will remember the Reader's Digest and a column they ran, "Humor is the Best Medicine." In that vein, what's the lighter side of social distancing and self isolation?

Leading off:

My wife no longer suggests we go out for dinner.

And when she asks why I spend so much time watching YouTube Sailing videos, I have a good response, "Just self-isolation, Dear."

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Not sure if sad or funny - In our neighborhood chat forum, Nextdoor, someone asked for “emergency” dentist suggestions to fix a broken crown and someone else suggested she call 911.
Maybe a sign of the time.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
One of the problems for some folk is they are ill equipped to deal with these types of issues. At least they re asking questions, probably hoping some old dude or dudette can give them some help.

Thanks for sharing Don.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Not sure if sad or funny - In our neighborhood chat forum, Nextdoor, someone asked for “emergency” dentist suggestions to fix a broken crown and someone else suggested she call 911.
Sorry to give serious answer in this thread. I have a dentist in the family. As of today, ADA recommendations are for dentists to treat "emergencies" only and postpone other treatment. That generally means severe pain, infection or trauma. Broken crown might not qualify, depending on specifics of the break and the judgment of the dentist.

This is a little lighter.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Recently subscribed to “ next door” neighborhood chat also. Used to be stuff like lost dog, who is good plumber or air conditioner tech, Now it’s walmart Wal-Mart has toilet paper as of 8am, Walmart sold out of toilet paper 9am. Weird times indeed.

Guess I am an isolated sailor (new term) as I single hand a lot.

Live aboards are now quarantined sailors.

Ok, enough already! This self isolation is getting to me already. At least I can still go to the boat without fear of exposure!

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
We ordered groceries on line today. Our corner store has been packed since they started clamping down on public gatherings, closing restaurant dining, etc. So, you can't assemble with more than 25, but you can buy groceries with hundreds. Go figure.

Our store was completely out of rice, chicken breasts, hot dogs, canned chili beans, green peas, sour cream, and several other items. The shopper was constantly texting to see if we wanted to get something else. Fortunately, we didn't need toilet paper. The shopper told us we need to shop at the mid-town store, or order the night before for early morning delivery. Apparently, the folks in our part of town have confused voluntary quarantine with an apocalyptic natural disaster.

I'm wondering if the chili bean shortage is related to the toilet paper shortage?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Our corner store has been packed since they started clamping down on public gatherings, closing restaurant dining, etc. So, you can't assemble with more than 25, but you can buy groceries with hundreds. Go figure
A local store here said they were limiting hours to help limit exposure. Not sure how increasing a given amount of people per hour in a store helps with that. Good spin on them saving money on staffing.

In a similar vein, that I was laughing about... My wife and I went to see the "1917" movie in the only theatre here that is till open. As I expected there were only 4 of us in the threatre.

Now if we can just get the same thing for a beach bar with just a bartender and an anchorage with one other boat... i am good to go. :D

Makes me want to own an serious boat on in the pacific. (more than usual at least)

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
They can vote and they can procreat!

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I've just returned from MX where I got the boat splashed. Border guy said maybe 30 days of closure, but the crux of the biscuit will be Mexico's possible denial of my crossing back into Sonora.
Before we'd left for MX 2 weeks ago, we stocked up, not knowing about the coming run on "white gold".

20200320_173325.jpg

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 28 East Tawas
Well let me see:
My house has never been so clean
I've talked to the cat so much he has learned English
My belly button is lint free
I've worked all the cross word puzzles which were once to hard to complete
I've joined the Society of American Agoraphobics
I found all the change in my sofa cushions
I've been blocked by 24 of my friends from texting on my cell phone
I've had to replenish my wine supply five times

That's about it for now...but wait!
I've commented on this thread. :ass:

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 28 East Tawas
Sorry to give serious answer in this thread. I have a dentist in the family. As of today, ADA recommendations are for dentists to treat "emergencies" only and postpone other treatment. That generally means severe pain, infection or trauma. Broken crown might not qualify, depending on specifics of the break and the judgment of the dentist.

This is a little lighter.
Where can I find this guy...:huh: