Teak.. Teak.. Teak

IAMCCF

Jun 29, 2015
ODay 28 Quincy Yacht Club
Hi All,

My 1980 Oday 28 "Take Two" is getting repairs made to the deck. It's taking care of spider cracks, re-beading hardware and replacing all the teak.

The toe rails, handrails, the main sliding hatch rails and hatch board rails are all being replaced. The catch is due to the timing of the work.... I can't prep the wood before it's installed. It's going from D&R Marine directly onto the boat.

So with all this new teak, should I use teak oil or varnish which will be applied on the boat?

Thanks!

Chris

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Best would be to finish BEFORE going on the boat, sealing off the underside surfaces as well to prevent moisture migration under your finish.

I posted in another thread about finishing teak, and am looking forward to additional responses. Also check out west marine how to articles, etc.
I am personally contemplating an epoxy finish under the spar varnish. For the handrails, I am going to first try only spar varnish due to geometry and concern over application of the epoxy.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Lots of options, lots of opinions.
Yer pays yer money and yer makes yer choice.
If I wanted more work now for less work later I would use Honey Teak.
For less work now but more work later I would use cetal marine light or natural.
I am less concerned about finishing the under sides but it will be much easier job
with the wood off the boat. I am removing my 34s eyebrows to coat with honey teak
this spring.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
I use spar varnish for the minimal exterior woodwork I have. I have to varnish every year. I stick with it because I like the look. A neighboring boat in my marina uses Cetol. It's last about 3 times longer than spar varnish.

Side note: I used Harbot Freight painters tape this year when I stained and varnished the cabin slider rails. Huge mistake, the stain and varnish seeped behind the tape. Even worse, the tape would not remove from the surface. I had to heat the tape with a heat gun to remove it. Every bit of sticky substance remained on my boat when the tape was removed. The cleanup process is taking longer than the actual stain/varnish process. I know better than to use HF products but I still did. I can only blame myself.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Lots of options, lots of opinions.
Yer pays yer money and yer makes yer choice.
If I wanted more work now for less work later I would use Honey Teak.
For less work now but more work later I would use cetal marine light or natural.
I am less concerned about finishing the under sides but it will be much easier job
with the wood off the boat. I am removing my 34s eyebrows to coat with honey teak
this spring.
I agree...

for less work now AND less work later, just use a teak oil on it.... the teak is a naturally oily wood and will last many years without anything on it... the application of oil helps to replace/delay the leaching out of the natural oils, which cause the wood to look gray....

any type of sealer finish will need a much higher degree of maintenance over time, although somewhat less often than a natural oil finish..... wiping it with oil every 2-3 months is a pretty easy task, although it will never be shiny like some of the sealer finishes will give, if thats the look your going for...

May 17, 2014
hunter 380 Plano, TX
I would definitely recommend you finish it off the boat. You will be able to hang it up and get to everything. I just pulled the handle off my companion slider. It was all greyed in areas with old finish in some others. Sanded down with 80 and a pad sander to good wood and finished it with 120. Applied 2 coats of Seafin Teak oil over a week and let it soak in. Sanded with 800 and then a coat of Helmsman clear spar varnish gloss. Let it dry and did a lite hand sanding with 800 and applied a second coat.

Looks fantastic and should hold up a long time. Taking out to the boat today and pulling the teak slats on the rail seats to do this week
handle.jpg

Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
I use cetol. It seems to last about 2 years. If I wait three, I have to take it all off. It is best to lightly sand and recoat every year. I just don't get to as I should. We took it down to bare wood this year maybe I'll maintain it better this time. New eyebrows made of Epi have a first coat and are almost ready to install.

IAMCCF

Jun 29, 2015
ODay 28 Quincy Yacht Club
I want to thank everyone for their input. I decided to go with Honey Teak and i put it on off the boat.
It took a few late nights but it looks good. I'll be installing it today and then I will need to treat the bungs on the boat.

Attachments