Table Weight - Hunter 376

Apr 1, 2019
Hunter 376 Niantic
So I removed my mast step to attempt to release the table weight as it has rusted to the inside of the tube (great engineering there, steel weight on a boat). I have poured in enough anti-seize to empty 2 cans on both the top and bottom of the weight and let it soak for 2 weeks. I have hit it with a 5lb sledge (steel post into the mast step) and I have put a 3" ratchet strap on it for two weeks, cranked up as tight as I can get it. So far the darn thing has not moved. Looking for ideas on what might free this up. AND if I do push it further into the top where there is a ss plate welded on, do you think it will come back down and out? I will probably replace it with something stainless that won't rust in like this one has. Thanks for any help on this.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I will probably replace it with something stainless that won't rust in like this one has.
Odd ...................... 1999 model has a lead counterweight and it's not a tight fit. Have you been able to see the counterweight ? I suspect something else may be going on in there.

Dec 14, 2018
Ericson/ Hunter Ericson 29 / Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
Tristan,
How did you resolve the weight stuck issue.

Apr 1, 2019
Hunter 376 Niantic
Still stuck, I can't see it but know there is steel as a magnet sticks to it. So although it could be filled with lead, there is some iron in there, and quite a bit based on how well the magnet stuck.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
there is some iron in there, and quite a bit based on how well the magnet stuck.
Now we're getting into the "Twilight Zone".

If you don't already have one, invest in a bore scope to see what's going on in there:

Get one with the built in LED light. It will send the view to your phone, Ipad, etc. via WIFI. Don't get one with a screen as they're not worth the cost. You've already invested a pile of money and effort into this project ............... a borescope will be the least of your costs.

It's one of the most used tools I have.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Still stuck, I can't see it but know there is steel as a magnet sticks to it. So although it could be filled with lead, there is some iron in there, and quite a bit based on how well the magnet stuck.
I had a 40.5 with table counter weight.
It was really heavy, and suspect lead as well. What might be going on here is that they used lead shot in a steel can, of some sort.
So, my next suggestion would be heat.
Get yourself a good heat gun, and throw a lot of heat on the compression post in the area around the weight. I’m sure the compression post is aluminum, which will expand well when heated.
I’m just not sure if you’ve taken out the plate above or below the compression post. Unclear from your description.
Also, what kind of anti-seize did you use?
Pb blaster is quite good.
I also don’t understand how you’ve been able to bang on it from above?
Are you sure it’s not jammed up on the exit box where the pulley is?

Apr 1, 2019
Hunter 376 Niantic
I I have removed the entire post from the boat. It is about 6' long 4" in diameter. There is a plate welded on the top end and the bottom is open. There is a pulley slot (I removed the pulley. I used a magnet to find the weight in the post. I first emptied one can of PB Blaster in the bottom with it upside down so it would soak down. I then flipped it and emptied another can into the pulley slot. I have then put a 2" pipe with a cap on it into that bottom hole and pounded the pipe to try to move the weight, no luck. It is now in my shop with a ratchet strap putting constant pressure. Still stuck.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
I I have removed the entire post from the boat. It is about 6' long 4" in diameter. There is a plate welded on the top end and the bottom is open. There is a pulley slot (I removed the pulley. I used a magnet to find the weight in the post. I first emptied one can of PB Blaster in the bottom with it upside down so it would soak down. I then flipped it and emptied another can into the pulley slot. I have then put a 2" pipe with a cap on it into that bottom hole and pounded the pipe to try to move the weight, no luck. It is now in my shop with a ratchet strap putting constant pressure. Still stuck.
Wow,, that’s pretty stubborn.
I’m wondering if you can drill a 3/4” hole through the top plate, and try to pound it downwards?
At some point it’s going to move. Just don’t want to have to resort to dynamite to get there.

Dec 14, 2018
Ericson/ Hunter Ericson 29 / Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
You could try white vinager it will dissolve rust, also a 50/50 mix of atf and acetone might work it is great on seized bolts.
Good luck, my weight was not stuck so bad that I couldn't pull it up a little and mclube sailcoat freed it up.