Survey on C310 #217

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
What transmission do you have? The Hurth transmissions have been known to die at 500 hrs.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
I wonder if the engine replacement was done for an owner who did not know a lot about engines. It does seem extreme to replace a Universal/Kubota at 500 hours. I did suffer a hit in my stern while in my slip a few years ago (pretty sure I knew who did it but no way to prove). At any rate the gelcoat cracked but the unerlying fiberglass was fine and all I had to do was gelcoat repair. Warren Pandy at the Catalina factory explained that gelcoat and fiberglass flex at different rate; that was over 10 years ago with no problem.
One issue to look out for would be the transmission and the damper plate. A lot of us have had to replace the damper plates which is a pretty simple job if you are handy. We have not had a problem with our transmission, but from others on this forum at the first sign of trouble I would get one of the alternative transmissions as they are not all that expensive and much more trouble free.

JAE

Feb 15, 2021
Catalina 31 38 GIG HARBOR
One thing to find out is was the boat damaged in storm etc? From pics it looks like the hull has been scratched etc...maybe she want aground and flooded engine? Also it states that interior cushions re-done...another hint about water in cabin? Good luck, they are great boats!

Apr 26, 2020
Catalina 310 WPB
One thing to find out is was the boat damaged in storm etc? From pics it looks like the hull has been scratched etc...maybe she want aground and flooded engine? Also it states that interior cushions re-done...another hint about water in cabin? Good luck, they are great boats!
We'll make sure to keep an eye out for it, but if so I would of expected some damage on the wood not so much the motor. I've looked again at the pictures didn't find any scratching... i'm sure the haul out tomorrow will reassure us nothing fishing is going on.

Apr 26, 2020
Catalina 310 WPB
What transmission do you have? The Hurth transmissions have been known to die at 500 hrs.
It looks like the original Hurth. I'll ask tomorrow if it was rebuilt. I may have the surveyor pull samples to make sure it doesn't have to be replaced imminently. With such easy access I presume is an easy replacement?

Apr 26, 2020
Catalina 310 WPB
I wonder if the engine replacement was done for an owner who did not know a lot about engines. It does seem extreme to replace a Universal/Kubota at 500 hours. I did suffer a hit in my stern while in my slip a few years ago (pretty sure I knew who did it but no way to prove). At any rate the gelcoat cracked but the unerlying fiberglass was fine and all I had to do was gelcoat repair. Warren Pandy at the Catalina factory explained that gelcoat and fiberglass flex at different rate; that was over 10 years ago with no problem.
One issue to look out for would be the transmission and the damper plate. A lot of us have had to replace the damper plates which is a pretty simple job if you are handy. We have not had a problem with our transmission, but from others on this forum at the first sign of trouble I would get one of the alternative transmissions as they are not all that expensive and much more trouble free.
How did you go about the gelcoat repair? The damper plate was recently replaced, we'll see the transmission tomorrow during the survey. I guess I'll see tomorrow, but if not mistaken the transmission seems like it comes off without taking out the engine, is that correct?

Apr 26, 2020
Catalina 310 WPB
@Grichelli we have been very fortunate to have a good clean well cared for 310 for sure. I'm glad I did get her because I was very close to just buying a new Jeanneau 440 with the cash I had as just a down payment and payments. The 310 has been a perfect "big boat" transition from our O'Day 25 and I'm not losing any sleep when less then perfect docking puts a scuff here and there. I'm far from salty in experience but she has all the stuff on our future retirement boat to learn on.

Truth be told I could be very happy with her for retirement but the admiral wants a 440. So can't fight that and if plans work out I think we will be good to achieve the plan. Life is short so enjoy it!

Ok boat context. One big improvement in my boat was the new charger, 4 golf cart batteries and smart plug electrical upgrade. If she has the original charger I'd count on that needing replacement and moved to a better location in the cabin.
We only plan on using it during the weekend, hopefully with more experience and confidence in the boat maybe a week trip to the Bahamas. Tomorrow is the big day and really hoping that we don't find any bad things. I hope the surveyor knows what she is doing because our last one was a disaster for out Catalina 30. Thank you again for all the input.

Apr 26, 2020
Catalina 310 WPB
As with ANY purchase, Boat or Otherwise, be aware that the cost of owning is sometimes secondary to maintaining, A friend told me along time ago you can buy a boat to work on or you can buy a boat to sail.
We bought ours in 2013 from freshwater and moved her to Freshwater (Lake Erie) and have upgraded her and Loved sailing her. We had a survey done-$600.00- money well spent- so we knew exactly what we were buying!
A survey is proprietary so you own it and the surveyor works for you!
The 310 is, in our opinion a GREAT boat she is offshore rated and sails well.
Lots of boats need TLC and making it yours does happen over time. I noticed the reason for sale was that he did not use her and to me that is obvious,. You are buying a boat to work on, if the engine, survey, etc. come out to meet your approval and you know what you are going into and are happy with that, Make a LOW offer and enjoy the boat, boats need sailed not to be dock queens.
Let us know how you make out, this is a great group and they will help!
Really looking forward to tomorrow survey in the morning, haul out in the PM! Our Catalina 30 is a great boat, but is too much work with little play. We haven't been off the mooring ball in months due to engine problems and has gotten us down with owning our own sailboat. Don't get me wrong as I now fully understand that all boats need constant attention, but at least starting off with a "newer" boat should give us more time to sail and with proper maintenance we should be able to avoid a lot of the work we are doing now.

Sep 29, 2008
Transmission is easy to pull replace. Coming out I did not have to lift the engine as the damper plate was shot. BUT ;) with the new damper plate in I had to lift the engine with a come-along, a 4x4 overhead and some chain with hooks.:biggrin: Catalina Direct has the ( sic) matching gel coat. Good wet sanding and patience will make it look like new. These boats are super easy to work on unless you are rebedding those f@#$%&! Stanchions.

Attachments

Apr 26, 2020
Catalina 310 WPB
I
Transmission is easy to pull replace. Coming out I did not have to lift the engine as the damper plate was shot. BUT ;) with the new damper plate in I had to lift the engine with a come-along, a 4x4 overhead and some chain with hooks.:biggrin: Catalina Direct has the ( sic) matching gel coat. Good wet sanding and patience will make it look like new. These boats are super easy to work on unless you are rebedding those f@#$%&! Stanchions.
I wished they addressed this considering that on the C30 this is a nightmare as well!

Last edited:

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
How did you go about the gelcoat repair? The damper plate was recently replaced, we'll see the transmission tomorrow during the survey. I guess I'll see tomorrow, but if not mistaken the transmission seems like it comes off without taking out the engine, is that correct?
Would that it were that easy. Disconnect the prop shaft. Ease transmission bolts you can access. Pull the engines off the mounts and lift the engine (come-along on board supported above companionway). Disconnect throttle and gear shift. Remove all transmission bolts and lift transmission as engine is raised.
Putting it back requires realigning the transmission with shaft. When the engine is off the mounts, replace them as well.

Sep 29, 2008
@Grichell, normally that would be the procedure, and I did have to loosen the motor mounts, but I only needed to raise the engine 2" to do the deed so I avoided all the rest.

Apr 26, 2020
Catalina 310 WPB
Well, the survey did not go as expected. If anyone has a lead on one in south Florida please let me know!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
So you are walking away? Bummer, what was the finding and issues?

Apr 26, 2020
Catalina 310 WPB
So you are walking away? Bummer, what was the finding and issues?
Well, bugs in the V-berth, were willing to work the issue out, it after the sea trial on the way back the engine shut off and all the oil came out. Maybe a hose maybe something else, we didn’t stick around for sea tow and called an Uber...

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
ugg, yup my wife would not have been happy and from above it seems you have had enough of project boats to know when to walk away. Funny thing we were there too before finding our 310. I really had my heart set on a Cataline 34, but it was too much of a project. That said, if you are really looking for weekend boat, look at the 315, 320 and other brands too that are newer inyour price range.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
THAT is exactly why a survey is valuable... worth what you paid for it.
There were about 400 Catalina 310s built and there are good ones out there, No Rush, just be persistant and do not be afraid to look other places. Keep the Faith

Apr 26, 2020
Catalina 310 WPB
Looks like the sent out the mechanic and the issue with the engine was a loose nut. We are going to do another trial on Sunday!

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Give the HIN to your insurance company.. Have them see if there are any records of insurance claims. If the boat suffered a storm sinking, the engine would have been replaced. If this is the case, you don't want this boat. All of the substrate will have mold that can't be seen.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
I bought a new 309 in 2007. Same hull, different interior. One of my multiple problems was a severe misalignment of the rudder tube, that Catalina refused to fix. Because the tube was misaligned, they had to do a hack job on the rudder bearings when the boat was built, which made them fail early on. There was no easy fix.

This is easy to check. Unscrew the plate that give access to the top of the rudder post for emergency tiller use. Make sure that the top of the rudder tube is in the center of the opening. The opening, from memory, is six to eight inches diameter, and the top of the tube should sit in the middle of it. Mine was way off to one side of the opening. This is a problem you do not want to have.

My 309 had a LOT of gelcoat cracks all over the deck in the first season, and it took a lot of back of forth with Catalina to get them to take care of it. They finally did, but I lost half a Michigan sailing season. Of course, I never trusted my defective gelcoat after that.

The rudder problem was something they refused to fix.