Surge brakes and trailer extensions

Apr 11, 2014
Hunter 260 Lake Lanier
So I replaced the old surge actuator and drum brakes on the Majic Tilt that came with my H260 at the end of last year with a Titan surge and disc brake kit. My brakes were working fine on a trip to FL but seemed to stop working after the 2nd or third day there. I did note some slight drips at a union which I kept tightening and thought I got it. However, the brakes do not engage now. Certainly I have more troubleshooting to do (yes, I did verify that there was fluid in the reservoir:)) but I have a general question to those that trailer there boats frequently.

Do you ever submerge the actuator during launch and recovery? I've read, after the fact, that Titan does not recommend this so that's likely answer enough but I wanted to get an idea of other's experiences.

With that in mind, those who do use a trailer extension, do you leave the tongue jack down to launch and recover?

To date, I just back the truck till she floats so any input would be appreciated. I know that Crazy Dave and Kermit have some experience in this department.

I'm hoping I just need to bleed the brakes again and check for leaks to correct as appropriate but I have a feeling that this won't be the case. Anyone in the market for a "gently" used actuator?:dance:

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
My actuator never gets submerged. My extension probably works but when the previous owner had the brake system replaced, the company didn't allow for the brake line to extend with the tongue. The line is solid. So I can't extend the tongue without ripping the brake hose apart. That's on my list of things to do.

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
Trailer must be able to submerge, so having a trailer that doesn’t, is not the proper setup.

There should be a small pin hole in the cap of the reservoir to replace depleted fluid with air. Water can infiltrate through this hole, so one should drain and replace with new fluid every couple years.

A short section of rubber brake hose needs to be at the unit with a quick disconnect to allow for the trailer extension to be used. (many years ago a groundhog eat mine.)

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Do you ever submerge the actuator during launch and recovery?

those who do use a trailer extension, do you leave the tongue jack down to launch and recover?

I'm hoping I just need to bleed the brakes again and check for leaks
Submerge ONLY if you have to, then lmmediatly spray it with wd40 when you pull it out to chase the water off of it...

Do not attempt to leave the tongue jack down while moving the trailer with a vehicle attached, as it WILL bend or rip the jack off the trailer tongue...

Probably some lubrication of the mechanisim and a good blleding of the lines will make it work proper again... any air at all in the line will make it not work strong enough to do you any good..

Apr 11, 2014
Hunter 260 Lake Lanier
My actuator never gets submerged. My extension probably works but when the previous owner had the brake system replaced, the company didn't allow for the brake line to extend with the tongue. The line is solid. So I can't extend the tongue without ripping the brake hose apart. That's on my list of things to do.
You must have a steeper ramp unless Dave showed you a really good technique. If I don't back down to the bumper at my ramp, the boat won't float over the bottom roller when loading.

I too had flexible line that was replaced with solid so I can't extend the tongue now either. I didn't think it would be an issue though.

I know saltwater is very corrosive but I wouldn't think that a few uses would seize the actuator and/or reverse solenoid.

Apr 11, 2014
Hunter 260 Lake Lanier
Submerge ONLY if you have to, then lmmediatly spray it with wd40 when you pull it out to chase the water off of it...

Do not attempt to leave the tongue jack down while moving the trailer with a vehicle attached, as it WILL bend or rip the jack off the trailer tongue...

Probably some lubrication of the mechanisim and a good blleding of the lines will make it work proper again... any air at all in the line will make it not work strong enough to do you any good..
Thanks. I really don't want another setup in the loading/unloading process i.e. extending and retracting the tongue. I was concerned that the additional 7 feet of extension would not support the weight of the boat alone.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
We moved our boat to Lake Murray Sailing Club in Chapin, SC. The ramp is absolutely perfectly ideal for us. Our former ramp was fine during a flood but not good at all when the level was normal or lower. Dave did show me how to make do at our former club but it was always a struggle at best. LMSC has a double ramp that extends 110' at normal lake level. We're pretty dang happy with it.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Masufactureres will always tell you not to submerge the actuator in the water but there will be times you have to. Here is my thought on that. If you are going into salt water or brackish water, wash off the trailer after each submersion to help prevent rusting. Fresh water, not an issue with me.

Although you saw what I probably think was a loose connection that only needed tightening, when you add a new actuator or let the resivouir go completely dry, then you
probably have air in the lines and that being the case will cause loss of brakes as the brake lines have to be devoid of any air in them which is why you have to bleed the brakes. I suspect this may be the case in this situation and if you do not know how to bleed them, get someone who can do it for you or show you. It is not that hard but a couple of tools and brake fluid.

As for the extension, when the ramp has a slight decline to the water, then it means the trailer has to go out further and then the extension comes into play. It depends on the ramp. In Kermits case the brake line is not long enough to allow for that and has to be addressed.

There is one other thing and again I do not know all the facts. First there could be crap in the brake lines which would have to be flushed out. Sometimes I used an air hose to force that out. Secondly, disc brakes were put on. Believe it or not, the actuator is designed either for disc or surge which could be a difference. A lot depends on the style of plunger in the actuator itself I believe but here again I do not know all the information but had to add this as possible suspects.

Apr 11, 2014
Hunter 260 Lake Lanier
Thanks Dave. I do hope I only need to bleed them. I'm in fresh water 99% of the time. With respect to the hardware, it all came as a kit so I'm assuming it's the proper actuator for disc and not for drums. I've got a brake line vacuum that I'll hook up and see what happens.

I'm sure that there's some water intrusion since the reservoir cap is vented. It might be a good practice to flush and fill at the end of every season.

Dec 23, 2008
See attached photos of bolt on extension that will carry the tongue weight of an 8000 lb boat, see front trailer tire not touching ramp with boat on trailer.

Attachments

Dec 23, 2008
Mfg built trailer’s spare tire as a swing down unit when built in extension was pulled out. The slide in extension was a pain to extract and load by it’s self but, created real problems when the trailer made a transition from level parking lot to down sloping launch ramp, lifting the tow vehicle wheels off the ground.

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 26 Ghost lake
Re: surge brakes & extendsions

I did the same conversion and found like Dave said 4 different numbers for surge master cylinders. It all depended on the type of brake and amount. I had an industrial hose maker build me a 10' SS plastic coated brake flex hose to allow me to extend the hitch for launching. Cost $100.00, 1/3 the price of going to a performance parts place. (the only other source). When you extend the hitch, only do so when you have to. Being lazy, I extended when I hooked up to the trailer and the headed for the launch ramp and after sailing parked the boat and trailer. Only to find that all the maneuvering twisted and bound up the extension. A lot of lifting, twisting and wholesale ramming got everything back in line. Now I only pull the extension out when I have a strait run at the ramp. A note on brake fluid, It is not compatible with anything other than itself. Any petroleum product will swell the rubber components, causing seizure and leaks.

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
When extending a trailer extension with boat on board or not still hitched, I use to tell my customers to block the tires on the trailer and extend the tongue jack down. Then take your hand and feel the spacing where the extension goes into the socket or the trailer. When you have equal spacing on top and bottom, then extend or retract. Otherwise it is difficult as the pressure of the tongue extension bar is resting up against the inside of the receiver socket on the trailer which is not good.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
$S,
Can you please give specifics for the flexible extension for the brake line? I've asked several trailer companies about adding an extension for me. They all say they can do it but then say they don't know what to order. I know I'm asking alot, but actual part names and fitting sizes and where you bought them would be helpful. Yes, I did read your blog but I haven't found those specifics.
Thanks!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Big Frog;

Kermit says to wait till Uncle crazy is a coming o bottom paint with you. Then lets look. there are two possibilities rascal.

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
Kermy,

If Uncle Crazy is coming to lend a hand, confirm everything with him and your particular trailer and brake system. You might need different parts or lengths than I did.

But so you know it's all off the shelf parts, here's what I purchased from etrailer.com from the drum brake assemblies forward to the actuator.

DM5426 Demco Hydraulic Brake Line Kit for Single Axle Trailers - Drum Brakes
T0777300 Titan Hydraulic Brake Line with Fittings - 13" Long (whip to the quick disconnect)
T0776300 Titan Bracket for Flexible Brake Line Tubing (bracket to frame between steel line and whip)
T0776400 Clip for Titan Flexible Brake Line Tubing (clips the lines to the bracket)

Plus the QD fitting at eBay that I sent you before and bushings to match the whip to the QD and the QD to the actuator. I got those at a local hardware store.

Good luck. It's not rocket science :)

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Back in my trailer sailing days. I converted both my trailers to electric brakes, as recommended by a truck driver friend, to control trailer sway. I had a near disastrous episode when a void in the stern of the boat which had filed with water caused too light a tongue weight. The resulting trailer sway nearly put me into the trees. With electric brakes you can apply the trailer brakes independently of the tow vehicle, which will stop the swaying. Semi trucks have the same kind of brake controls.
If the brake wiring is in good shape, with adhesive heat shrink connections all around, water won't hurt the system, any repairs are much easier. The system is much simpler, just a magnet in each drum that applies the brakes when energized. No problems with the tongue extension either, because you are going to unplug the wires anyway. You do need a brake controller installed in the vehicle, and I think surge brakes only became popular because they don't require anything in the tow vehicle. The electric brakes seemed to slow out stop the rig as well or better than the surge brakes did.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
Thanks, $S. I feel egg dripping from my face, though. I don't recall another link you have sent. I'm getting old I suppose.

Thanks!