Surge brakes and trailer extensions

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
electric brakes on vs. surge brakes with constant emersion into the water particular salt water not suggested. I still advocate surge brakes anyday but you have to maintain them just like anything else.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Apr 11, 2014
Hunter 260 Lake Lanier
As an update, it turned out to be the reverse lockout solenoid. Somehow, it was stuck in the closed position even though it is a normally open valve. Not exactly sure how that happened but it's been replaced and brakes are now in working order.

Apr 21, 2014
MacGregor Venture 22 Launched, San Diego,CA
I like your design, I have a 2 axle trailer and I think it will work great as my boat is only 1900 Lbs. What is the size and thickness of the tube?

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
Not sure who your question is directed at, but if it's about my tongue extension:

The center frame member of the Calkins trailer is 8′ of 1/8″ wall, 3″ x 4″ rectangular box tube. To make the tongue extension, I purchased 10′ of 1/8″ wall, 2-1/2″ square box tube to telescope inside it.

I had my welding guy tack 1/8″ thick x 5/8″ ID washers on both sides of the inside tube at each of the connecting pin holes. Together, the washers take up the remaining space between the 2-1/2″ inner tube and the 3″ outer tube.

Apr 21, 2014
MacGregor Venture 22 Launched, San Diego,CA
Thanks I wish people would give better descriptions of size,type and measurements of materials. I would also be nice if any special paint,coatings, adhisives would be nice as well. I appreciate your help.

Zeb

May 4, 2015
Seaward 25 Mid-Mo
Good source for trailer parts

I've had some good experience with the folks at etrailer.com in finding/ordering parts. No affiliation here on my part, simply good service and experience with them.

- Zeb