Summer in the Salish Sea

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Where has your trip taken you Ken?
Kingston, Blake Island, Port Orchard, Blake
Island again, Winslow, Des Moines (where we picked up our daughter and her dog), Penrose Point, Jarrell Cove, and Olympia. In the am we start north again to drop off our daughter and dog on Sunday. So we plan Longbranch tomorrow, not sure where next.

Ken

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
7AF4A740-7E6A-496E-9A0D-455E05A4B91A.jpeg Back in the Salish Sea. The first time we’ve been in Von Donop with more than three other boats. I could count twenty-two boats from our anchorage.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2017
6AB1A08A-6502-44EA-B0E5-3A00958843F5.jpeg Sunset at Comox. A must stop for us as Bev’s high school best friend lives here.
E1FE54F8-A76C-4FE0-A53D-BC387CA0D765.jpeg On a broad reach from Jedediah to Nanaimo. W G was open and we were making 6+ knots.
9CFFC594-F56D-4398-902C-FD3C2BFCA565.jpeg At Ladysmith Community Marina. Should be home by the end of the month. Not the summer that we planned on but it’s been pretty good despite COVID.

Jan 5, 2017
267C1B47-FFA8-4561-A344-C0DC8678AE5D.jpeg 3C845DE9-D821-4786-A368-CECD62376D9C.jpeg A happy skipper. 7 1/2 knots on a close reach.E2F21401-C5E6-473D-B817-76B8E5246500.jpeg 76101C81-51E7-46CD-A6C5-251A6FB252DE.jpeg Ellen Bay on Prevost Island. Good shelter from the NW but open to the south. Very little ferry wake makes it into the bay.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Wow Mike. You have been at sea for a while.
Look at the difference in beard growth.
Here is an image from a time when you were more near home. I know it is dark but there is not much beard growth to speak of.
John and Mike pub on Saturna.jpg
Mike is the smiling fellow on the left.
Granted you look pretty happy doing 7.5 knots after a summer of sailing.

Jan 5, 2017
I think the last “trim” was in Port McNeil John. A couple of miles under the keel and a couple of pages turned on the calendar since then.

• Ha
Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Across the rock from Selby Cove, one of our favourite spots!

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Any news about whether the Canadian border will open to boaters anytime soon?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Oh Michael..Shout that out loud and clear.. Let the politicians in Victoria hear your words.

On a weather note, My friend says we may possibly see a 10 day window in the next 3 weeks of dry days.

Make the most of it guys. I am off to my civics lesson. Grand Jury Duty... 2 weeks.
"Workin' 9 to 5,
What a way to make a livin'
Barely gettin' by
It's all takin' and no givin'
They just use your mind
And they never give you credit
It's enough to drive you crazy
If you let it"

Friday March 5
A nice surprise — an overall pattern shift is modeled that favors plenty of dry days. Great for working the land in prep for spring plantings. Tractor up.
There is a cold-air Low spinning west of the coast on its way to make landfall over CA next week. For the PNW, we’ll experience periodic showers and cooler temps throughout the weekend. Given the cold air aloft, some of the showers may produce thunder & small hail. Sunday will likely be the coolest day of the weekend.
Next week: that cold Low will still be spinning west of the coast, as it very slowly drifts south. CA weather will be unseasonably chilly, with showers or thunderstorms, even as far south as the LA basin near the end of next week. Temps could tease 32F in locations from central CA up into NW WA, if the sky clears in your particular location. One thing that will be lacking next week around the PNW will be rain/showers. The air mass will be chilly but on the dry side. FOG is possible in the usual foggy bottoms, otherwise sunshine will help dry down soils for growers & home gardeners.
We have been discussing possibility for colder air moving in from coastal BC during the weekend of Mar 13,14. Well, as you may guessed, that is now trending as a tease. The overall pattern will continue DRY & WARMER as next week ends and the mid-March weekend arrives. Lots of sun and temps in many areas should peg into the 60s, esp for western OR.
The week of Mar 15-19 is presenting as dry most of the week, although a bit more cloudy then previous, then the entire PNW will return to a wet, cold pattern, starting with Vancouver Island NW WA by late Thu. CA may get another quick shot of showers with another Low moving in, but not as cold.
The PNW looks WET & stormy the weekend of the Spring Equinox. This is a long way out, so don’t start cancelling outdoor plans just yet. Lots of updates beforehand.
Bottom line: after this weekend, we could have a run of 10 dry days lasting through Mar 17 or 18. Temps will be spring-like warm a few of those days. (Always keep in mind that model solutions can revert to early outlooks.) That said, following an excellent month of building up the Cascade snowpack, we’ll gladly take the potential extended dry spell. Break out the farm implements.
A giggle from the ’Net: “Did a little mechanics work today. Put a rear end in a recliner."
-Rufus

Jan 5, 2017
I guess I should have said it’s a joint Ottawa/ Washington D.C. decision. I’m not sure they really worry about our summer sailing season.