STS Alberto or Invest 90

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
By now most of you Gulf Sailors have heard of the area of Investigation 90 on the Yucatan.
A few of us, @jssailem , have been following this potential now for at least 10 days.;)
[ More on Rufus later ]
I alerted a few friends, last week, "Don't plan for a dry Gulf Memorial Day weekend":(
_______
The generation of this storm came from the Eastern Pacific, which WAY out of normal.
Typical tropical potentials are Born in the Caribbean or West Africa.
_______
Right now, a High Pressure front from Pacific North West is stalling and pushing the tracking models. Hurricane Hunters will check it out late today ]25th].

Upper air steering currents will tend to push this windy storm to the East.
It will be called Alberto, since, IMHO, a named storm has many implications as to Government and Insurance Companies. Just one, measure of >39 mph winds will get it named. [rant done]
_______
The Heat Potential is mainly in South West Caribbean. The Gulf is still cool.
So it will gain strength until it is over the Gulf and become mainly rain, rain, rain on the Eastern Side.
Eastern Gulf Coast Rains expected through Wednesday.
_________
Rufus
He is a mid term forecaster who is a favorite of farmers et. al. in the Pacific North West. Jssailem introduced me to Rufus, since the PNW controls our moisture and High Pressure fronts. Rufus forecast this storm around May 4. What the heck?:yikes:
No way José!! Strange but true. Well, Rufus has had me scrambling and searching what the heck is going on this year. A few notable happenings...

1) Has anyone noted.."Lack of Tornadoes"? OK has the lowest tornadoes on record.
2) Sahara Winds are Way Way south suggesting Spin off's will be very south.
3) Our Sun has had ZERO sunspots for 10+Days, never seen before since 1700's.
4) Equatorial Pacific is 2+ degrees cooler than normal.
5) La Niñita is ending without much effects.
6) Spring was late and snows lasting longer and way north.
7) The Heat Potential for storm generation is way down.

Jim...

PS: I normally do this forecasting for my friends, locally, since they are still "Katrina Shocked" and fear the worst.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Thanks for that report. A year with little storm activity would be most welcome to anyone in the Caribbean, Gulf or East Coast!

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I am glad it will not be bad, but This weekend is the deadline for moving my boat to her new slip. , and it is supposed to be windy and raining all weekend. I have to get it moved as my old dock lord has a new boat moving in next week.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I have to get it moved
Good luck. Your winds should be light, but no fun for a new berth tie up! I assume no midship cleats yet.;)
Jim...

PS: You are on the Rainy side of Alberto.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Good luck. Your winds should be light, but no fun for a new berth tie up! I assume no midship cleats yet.;)
Jim...

PS: You are on the Rainy side of Alberto.
I have the cleats, but it rained all last weekend too, and I have yet to install them.
2018-05-20 16.30.36.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Chip... Think of it as added excitement to your new dock space adventure. If it was an adventure film and you were in the audience you would welcome the added excitement. Only difference is your the actor. So you get to put on the show. :dancing:

Sending good thoughts of success with minimal drama.:beer:

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
@JamesG Appreciate the comments, Jim.. I heard Jim Cantore is in Gulfport .. the storms usually go where he is not! We are going to get a little wind driven water, but not much else (thank goodness)..

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Hope this event is a non-event! Nevertheless, will keep an eye on it. Hope that its not enough to make me remove roller furled genoa, bimini, and dodger. Expecting to have a wet Memorial Day.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Bimini, and dodger
I was contemplating the same thing.:confused:
Since the forecast wind direction is off our stern, the closed dodger becomes a wind scoop.
Perhaps I will open up central Dodger.
I might go down to the Marina Bar, watch it and go aboard if necessary.:beer::beer:

Last year I watched our boat during Hurricane Cindy.:rolleyes::pimp:
Which is about what I am expecting ≈40 mph

Good Luck!!
Jim...

Attachments

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
As my boat is currently on the dirty side of this storm, I'm glad it's not going to be bad. She is also snugged up in a hurricane hole on floating docks and that makes me feel a bit better. Current forecasted winds are from the bow, also.

But it's a whirly-girl and will go where it's pushed by factors we can barely simulate so I get to worry over the weekend.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I guess it's time to fill the new gas cans I bought this winter.

Lessons learned after Irma led me to pick up four additional 5-gallon cans to keep full during hurricane season. Should just about double our supply.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Sorry for you guys fate. If my boat was there I’d be able to test my repairs. On the other hand I’ll stay up here in the PacNW and let you guys have your fun. I’ll put a hose on the boat after the fiberglass had cured and call it good.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
SubTropicalStorm [STS] Alberto has not moved but been better defined more Eastward.
One of the most active Tourist active dates is Experiencing massive Cancelations from LA to FL.

Does that count as Storm Damage?

A few sailor friends have been talking about going out for the ride and learning experience.:confused:

Storms are never to be taken lightly.
Jim...

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Weather in our area looks like it might break by Wednesday. We were all set for the holiday weekend and had to cancel. Planning on 5 or 6 days out when this ends (if ever).

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
A graphical update that demonstrates why a movement Eastward.
TSAlberto5:26.jpeg

The HIGH is slow moving, but pushing and disturbing STS Alberto from growing stronger.
Also the reddish is the Difference in Gulf surface temperatures from the Average on this Date. Darker Red is warmer. Dark blue is colder fresh water entry from Land.
I drew the Orange curve, which is the Caribbean Gulf Stream loop that bring warmer water into the Gulf.
Jim...

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Well, THIS was a surprise to wake up to. You could sail a dinghy around in my yard right now.