Steering Linkage

Jun 23, 2019
Hunter 41 DS DS Deale MD
The steering linkage on my 2005 Hunter 41DS makes a knocking sound, what might that be and how might I fix it? Thanks Hunter family

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Suggest removing the cockpit floor to access the linkage and inspect it while at the dock to find the source of the knocking sound. I removed the cockpit floor on my Hunter 386 a year and half ago to inspect a failed autopilot clutch and found the nut (not a nylon lock nut) and washer connected the draglink arm to the tiller had vibrated loose and fell onto the floor. I replaced the washer and installed a new nylon lock nut with blue loctite. Had I not caught that I might have lost wheel steering if the draglink arm vibrated free.

Jun 23, 2019
Hunter 41 DS DS Deale MD
Very helpful reply. Thanks San Fran! Yes it was my intention to remedy the knocking issue once I can get back to my Boat. We are up in Canada now for the summer. Do you any have pictures from your remedy and what part did you order for the nylon knock nut?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
.............Do you any have pictures from your remedy and what part did you order for the nylon knock nut?
I removed the cockpit floor to troubleshoot why the Raymarine hydraulic the linear drive failed and that is when I discover the draglink arm to the tiller nuts and washer had vibrated off the connecting bolt. I ended up replacing the entire hydraulic linear drive AFTER I discovered the clutch failed since I could not replace that component by itself. As far as the steering linkage recommend checking it and tighten with existing nut or replace the nut with a nylon lock nut on the bolt using loctite blue 242 designed to lock and seal threaded fasteners and prevent loosening from vibration and protects threads from rusting and corrosion.

Attachments

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Hopefully it’s a simple fix like that but not to be too pessimistic, if that isn’t your problem, check the rudder stock bearing which, if worn, can mimic that same sound. Easy to check if boat on the hard - just try moving the rudder side to side while it’s pointed midship.