Starter Switch problem?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The only connection is that it's electrically required that you hold the glow button in order for the start button to work.
No, nope, nada...

Push glow plug. Release glow plug. Push start

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
No, nope, nada...

Push glow plug. Release glow plug. Push start
Yep, yes, si.
The starter button will not work unless you are holding the glow button. 80s Universal.
Unless it's been rewired. Or they changed it for his '89 model. Which I guess is entirely possible.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I have to agree with Stu. At least for my m25 and all whe wireing diagrams I've seen

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
I have to agree with Stu. At least for my m25 and all whe wireing diagrams I've seen
Look closer. Attached m25 wiring diagram. Also attached my m18 diagram. Power for start switch comes through the glow switch. And I just now tested my panel for kicks even though I already knew - can't start without depressing glow button simultaneously.
Early Universals did not have this. They made the change I think in early 80s. The OP's '89 almost certainly has this setup, unless it's been rewired, which is an easy task.

Attachments

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
We had the same issue with our M20. Just review the link given by Leslie. In there you'll find the answer to your problem...guaranteed!
Original wiring by Universal is horrible!

Aug 27, 2016
Catalina Catalina 30 tall rig Isleton, Ca.
I just solved that same problem! (1981 C30 w/Universal M18 diesel) ...new starter / solenoid, new ignition switch, new #12 gauge wire from ignition switch to selenoid, new starting battery, new battery cable.
The glow plugs are not guilty...other than they pull tons of amps from your batteries. (Which can be an issue with old, tired batteries.)
The starter is available on eBay for $87! ...it is a generic for the Universal M-18, M25, and others. It bolted up and works great but the diameter is bigger so I had to lengthen the alternator adjustment arm.
Install a waterproof ignition switch and use tinned boat wire only for new wiring....
This solution may have been overkill? How much trouble do you need from an engine that won't reliably start? Happy sailing!

Aug 8, 2009
Catalina 30 MkII Forked River, NJ
My 94 was wired so that power to the starter solenoid came from the glow plug terminal of the switch. I replaced and or cleaned all of the terminals which made it better but sometimes it still wouldn't crank when it was warm. I happened to find a wiring diagram in the owners manual which showed the wire to the starter solenoid coming from the "on" terminal of the switch rather than the glow plug terminal so I rewired it that way. Now I turn the switch to the glow plug position for 10 seconds then release it and push the start button. It now starts every time. The current draw of the glow plugs drops the voltage enough that it becomes marginal and sometimes won't crank. The mechanics at my Marina say all the Catalinas they know are wired like mine was where you have to hold the switch in the glow plug position to power the starter push button. My boat did come with the "improved" panel and harness so maybe that included the starter wiring change. It does seem stupid to power the starter motor while the glow plugs are drawing significant current.

51RD55

Jul 13, 2015
Hunter 31 Toronto
You really need to stop, take a deep breath and read the links I sent to you.

This one in particular:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5078.msg32211.html#msg32211

99% of the time it is NOT the switch, it's the bloody stupid fuse & holder hidden under the alternator.

Good luck, but please, read a lot more.
We experienced that a month ago with our Yanmar. With the help of our dock neighbour who told us to check the fuse, we did and so and that indeed was the problem. Now I know why there were extra fuses left by the P.O.