Standing rigging connectors

Sep 2, 2016
Catalina 22 Juneau, AK
Appologies for the total newbie question, but the standing rigging on our 1976 Catalina 22 has me scratching my head.

I've scoured the C22 Technical Manual (and updates), as well as awesome blogs like the Catalina 22 Experiment, Chip Ford, and Christopher Jin. Unfortunately, I can't find a clear explanation of how the standing rigging should be connected to the chainplates. I think our setup might be a little Frankensteined, and I have a lot of bonus pieces from the PO ... including two snap shackles.

Could anyone share close-up photos of how their shrouds and stays connect to the deck? Or is there a description somewhere I've missed? Is there a better way to do it?

I'm attaching some pics of what we've got.

Other questions:

- Shouldn't we have a car for the main sheet? How does that attach to the stern rail?
- Any photos of how to rig the running rigging? I can figure it out, but it'd be nice to have a starting place.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Mostly you have turnbuckles there either open or closed body. They screw into a stud which is, hopefully swaged, onto the shroud or stay. The starboard side aft may connect to a fork which is swaged or otherwise attached to the shroud. The picture of the shroud termini is consistent with the studs screwing into the turnbuckle bodies which are in place on the chainplates. I can't tell which is which from the photo. At least one has a wire loop on the terminus which would likely go to that Starboard aft turnbuckle. Think about changing out that one. The last picture is probably a "Topping lift" which is to hold the boom up when the sail is down so that the cockpit is usable. It isn't considered standing rigging.
You should have a car for the mainsheet traveler, if you have a traveler at all. Not all boats do. I don't see the need or the reason to attach the mainsheet to the rail. Rails are typically not designed, built or attached to stand up to running rigging forces.
I have no pics which are relevant but unless I'm missing the point what you have there is pretty regular standing rigging.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
It looks like the PO just unthreaded the turnbuckles. My boat has open turn buckles and they attach like this:

Trunbuckles.jpg

Beware of the galvanized turnbuckle in your picture as that is indeed frankensteined and may or may not hold the required strain of the cable. The hook you have is the topping lift for the boom. It holds the boom up when the sail is down. I recently rigged just a spare piece of line from the masthead to use as a topping lift and no longer use the hook. I would often forget to unclip the boom when sailing and the hook would not allow me to sheet out when needed. Try raising the mast in your driveway to see how everything goes before you head out on the water. That way when you get to the ramp you'll know where everything goes. As for the traveler on the back rod; below are a few pics from online of the car that seems to be missing. You might have to rig up a fixed point for the mainsheet for some time until you can figure out the traveler. Just google catalina 22 rigging and you'll find lots of pictures. Also the latest main sheet has quite a few good articles on raising the mast as does stingy sailors site.

Traveler 3.jpg traveler09.jpg traveler10.jpg

one last note. Make sure you orient your chainplates correctly as one of yours seems to be turned the wrong way for the aft lower stay. Tech Manual has much to say on this one as well.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Just to simplify each shroud or fore and back stay should have a turnbuckle with one threaded end swaged on the stay or shroud into the top of it and the pieces you see of threaded rod attached to eyebolt on deck into the bottom of each turnbuckle/. Then consult the tech manual to get the information needed to adjust them for the side to side equal and the fore to aft rake of the mast. Post if you need more on standing. Running rigging is a little more variable depending on year of the boat. The 75 and older typically had a set of halyards for jib and main made of cable and line. The main sheet goes through a traveler on the stern traveler bar. Most have a boom vang too. Again post or ask if you cannot figure it out from the tech manual. I will be glad to send pix of my 83 rig if you need.

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 22 Lake Conroe
My traveler car is missing in action also. The p.o. adjusted the stops to the middle of the rod to prevent the main sheet from sliding I believe. I'm also a complete noob.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
@George in AK , considering the Frankenstein job the P.O. did with your standing rigging I would seriously consider replacing all of it because you probably can't trust it. Catalina Direct will sell you a complete set of standing rigging that is measured correctly and will come with all new turnbuckles. I believe it comes out to just over $400 if you replace everything and you have a traditional single back-stay. If you need a new mainsheet car I have an extra one with a brand-new set of sheeves I will sell cheap. I went with a whole new set-up and a split back-stay, so I have no need for the original trailer car.
BTW, $400 to $500 investment in standing rigging now may seem steep, but it is a 15 year or better investment if you take the rigging down for winter storage each year and properly store/service it. Most standing rigging on sailboats should be replaced every 10 years, but many people go 15 to 20 years depending on climate and how well it is maintained. A huge advantage to deck-stepped small boats that are stored during winters is the ease of taking the rig down at no cost and then being able to service and dry store everything, greatly increases service life plus adds value to your boat (not to mention the safety aspect).

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 22 Lake Conroe
If George doesn't want to buy your traveler car let me know please.

CD says earlier boats just used a shackle and the stops though so it isn't a must have.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
That is right it only goes about 18 inches from side to side so really only a feel good for sail trim. It does help to put it over to the starboard so when you stand up under the boom when sails are down you do not get a headache.

Sep 2, 2016
Catalina 22 Juneau, AK
Finally had the perfect combination of sunny weather, good wind, calm seas, a weekend, and a functional boat! Can't thank y'all enough for the help to get us this far.

Gotta share a video. We were too flustered to grab a camera when the humpbacks came up to say hi! You'll see in the video we were cruising at 4.5kts, but we made it to 5.2kts a few times without trying. So fun!

IMG_3032.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2016
Catalina 22 Juneau, AK
Also, we are loving the 6hp Tohatsu SailPro we bought from onlineoutboards.com. I've seen a lot of folks ask about speed/throttle/fuel consumption of this motor.

Here's a pic of the throttle setting we like:

IMG_2950.JPG

And the resulting speed of 5.0 kts:
IMG_2949.JPG

We've run it for about 2 hours and used 1.5 gallons of fuel.

I've got the charging wires connected to the battery and will check the voltage/amps next time.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Nice work @George in AK. Looks like you had a good time and I love the temp fix for the traveler with the shackle although I am not sure whats with the PVC cap on the starboard lifeline stanchion. You obviously have the right idea; get out there and enjoy the boat then fix the little things as you can. Often many of us spend too much time making everything "just right" and forget to get out on the water. My one complaint to you is in regards to the video. Be careful with those shots where you pan around as the beautiful scenery with the mountains in the background and the bay all to yourself is likely to make many here jealous. Afterall if you're sailing in AK with snow on the mountains then really we should all be in the water my now. Nice work sir and in under a month. :clap:

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Yeah that's a lot of progress from your first post May 12th - from driveway to sailing comfortably in 18 days! And you're smart enough to let the lady drive assuring she will be a mate and not a passenger. Good Show!

Sep 2, 2016
Catalina 22 Juneau, AK
Wow, thank you!!

You know, I just noticed that plastic cap on the last trip ... I'll investigate.

We definitely embraced the philosophy of "that'll do" in order to get her in the water. May and June bring the best weather in Southeast Alaska, and we didn't want to miss it. I can't help noticing the VHF cable wadded up next to the hatch (CableClam on the way), the grey teak, and the dingy tiller handle. But that's the other half of boating!

Thanks again for the kind words. You guys made our day!

We'll try to find a rainy day to balance out the sunny footage :)

Nov 17, 2013
Catalina 22 Scottsdale, AZ
Beautiful video. Thanks for sharing.

Finally had the perfect combination of sunny weather, good wind, calm seas, a weekend, and a functional boat! Can't thank y'all enough for the help to get us this far.

Gotta share a video. We were too flustered to grab a camera when the humpbacks came up to say hi! You'll see in the video we were cruising at 4.5kts, but we made it to 5.2kts a few times without trying. So fun!

View attachment 137181