Spring lines

mjsb

Jan 28, 2021
Hunter 31 0 TSS, Apollo Beach FL
I have an 87 31' Hunter and in the marina I have moved the boat to the need for a spring lines is needed. I want to put cleats on the boat sized accordingly and in a location that is not a tripping hazard as I only have 2 feet and 10 toes and like them. Any help with regards to something that may require a modification to the toe tail and not to bolt patterns would be quite right.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
I put these folding mid ship cleats on my H31. Attaches to toe rail and work great.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I found this online:

At the moment, I thinking of mounting them ON the toe rail of my '79 H30C so that the horn folds down to the horizontal.
Any thoughts?

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
I found this online:

At the moment, I thinking of mounting them ON the toe rail of my '79 H30C so that the horn folds down to the horizontal.
Any thoughts?
Attaching that cleat to the toe rail might be awkward. There is a more simple and probably less expensive solution.

I’ve been docking solo for years with a “landing spring line“ system similar to what was described above, though with both ends of the spring line tied midship at the correct length for my dock. It’s effectively a big loop that I just toss over the first cleat on the corner of the dock. I actually started with the fold down cleat bolted to the toe rail, but I noticed that it rotates a bit under load, and even with the nylon lock nut, I was spooked by it being attached with only one bolt. I thought about it for a while and decided on securing the spring line ends with two heavy duty 316 stainless steel bolt type 1/2” Quick Links in adjacent holes on the toe rail instead of a deck mounted toe stubbing cleat on my narrow side deck. The fold down toe rail cleat was retired to the opposite side for occasional short term use at away from home docks.

I use my fixed “landing spring line” system only to come into the dock and hold the boat in place until I get the bow, stern and “dock spring lines” on. Then I take it off the dock cleat and hang it on the life line. I do this because the Quick Links sometimes rattle on the toe rail at night and I also want to minimize long term wear on the softer aluminum toe rail.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It should not be a surprise, as new to boating owners begin to consider improving their securing of their boat the midship cleat and spring lines are a natural improvement.

If you will be using the midship cleats to secure your boat more than a quick tie to get beer, fuel, or crew then do it right with a cleat that is properly backed. I like to use the spring line at midships as a docking aid. It allows me to step off my boat to secure the bow and stern lines. No need to jump to the dock. If you are anticipating such use, then consider strong backing plates.

I am adding these from AcconMarine 6” folding cleats. The company produced tests of the unit.

I’m thinking the testing shows this to be a decent cleat.

Attachments

mjsb

Jan 28, 2021
I put these folding mid ship cleats on my H31. Attaches to toe rail and work great.

went ahead and purchased a pair of these cleats, let you know how it works out.

mjsb

Jan 28, 2021
It should not be a surprise, as new to boating owners begin to consider improving their securing of their boat the midship cleat and spring lines are a natural improvement.

If you will be using the midship cleats to secure your boat more than a quick tie to get beer, fuel, or crew then do it right with a cleat that is properly backed. I like to use the spring line at midships as a docking aid. It allows me to step off my boat to secure the bow and stern lines. No need to jump to the dock. If you are anticipating such use, then consider strong backing plates.

I am adding these from AcconMarine 6” folding cleats. The company produced tests of the unit.

I’m thinking the testing shows this to be a decent cleat.
As always going thru the deck one needs a backing plate and proper screw and nut sized accordingly. there is a lot of pressure on the cleat and just a screw into the deck as noted won't cut it.