Spinnaker Tack

Lander

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37.5 Santa Barbara CA
Bow roller or sprit will also give you better performance, as it reduces the blanketing effect if the main by moving the sail out and away. Using your current set up try an “outside jibe”. Steering thru the wind properly is key to any successful jibe

Sep 17, 2012
Morgan 383 Fairhaven, NY
Drill and tap a strong pad eye as far forward as you can on your stem fitting. Attach a swiveling turning block. Run your tack line thru the block to that nice cleat on your deck.

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
Jan 8, 2015
Drill and tap a strong pad eye as far forward as you can on your stem fitting. Attach a swiveling turning block. Run your tack line thru the block to that nice cleat on your deck.
I am not sure why but this is what my boat has for the stemhead.
Stemhead.jpg

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
It looks like you would have the same pproblem that I am trying to avoid. When you are on a port tack, wouldn't the tack line wrap around the bow pulpit and cause an excessive side load?
My tack line runs down the toe rail to the cockpit. From there, I can give it slack prior to the jibe to let it have some room to float out in front of the boat during the jibe. the jibe has to be slow and the sheet allowed to slacken so that the sail basically become a flag in front of the boat before we trim in the other sheet to bring it around the other side. make sense?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Jan 8, 2015
Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Sorry guys. I attached the wrong pic in post #16.
View attachment 144225
This one shows the tack wrapped around the furled headsail when I had the beads on.
Unfortunately, your bow light is in an awkward spot for putting a block forward of the furler, beneath the bow pulpit. Thus, your tackline is getting involved with your furler. Maybe you could put a block above the bow light to keep the tackline from getting involved with it. You can ease the tackline to let the tack rise above the pulpit. Timing during the tack will keep it from tangling on the headsail.

Jan 8, 2015
My tack line runs down the toe rail to the cockpit. From there, I can give it slack prior to the jibe to let it have some room to float out in front of the boat during the jibe. the jibe has to be slow and the sheet allowed to slacken so that the sail basically become a flag in front of the boat before we trim in the other sheet to bring it around the other side. make sense?
The only part I am not clear on is after you slack off on the tack line prior to the gybe, do you switch it to the other side of the bow pulpit or just let it wrap around where it would pull sideways against it?

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
The only part I am not clear on is after you slack off on the tack line prior to the gybe, do you switch it to the other side of the bow pulpit or just let it wrap around where it would pull sideways against it?
The tack line does not get repositioned. It just runs through the block fixed to the base of the forestay. It's far enough forward that it does not seem to get bound up on anything. Again, it's a temp solution until I can get the sprit mounted but it works.