Speedseal

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I have one on my 4JH4. I really like it. The nice thing is that once you buy one, they are simple to have someone re-machine the parts. It is a shame they went out of business.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I have one on my 4JH4. I really like it. The nice thing is that once you buy one, they are simple to have someone re-machine the parts. It is a shame they went out of business.
Speedseal was a small family business and the owner became ill and closed it. It all happened fairly quickly a year or two ago. It appears they think there is enough demand that someone might want to buy the company's assets.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I have the Speedseal Life with plenty of PTFE disks. Should last a long time.
A shame they closed up. The owner was a pleasure to work with.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I bought a Speedseal LIfe a few years ago and had unusual wear problems. They replaced my cover but I continued to have wear problems and loss of prime issues. I made some precise measurements and sent them data that showed the design flaw that was causing my problems and they claimed they had no problem and that it was just me.

I finally removed the Speedseal Life and returned to the stock cover. Problems gone.

It would be nice if someone would buy this company and continue marketing the products. Obviously there are a lot of people that are using this system and it apparently works for them. So maybe I have a black cloud.....

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I bought a Speedseal LIfe a few years ago and had unusual wear problems. They replaced my cover but I continued to have wear problems and loss of prime issues. I made some precise measurements and sent them data that showed the design flaw that was causing my problems and they claimed they had no problem and that it was just me.

I finally removed the Speedseal Life and returned to the stock cover. Problems gone.

It would be nice if someone would buy this company and continue marketing the products. Obviously there are a lot of people that are using this system and it apparently works for them. So maybe I have a black cloud.....
Your post is a good reality check. I was thinking I'd like to retire get into a "simple" business where you just buy and sell stuff, and sit back to answer the phone, handle a few emails, and handle accounting/fulfillment. Still customer problems to address, supplier problems, quality problems, new engine models to keep up with, etc. Then there's got to be some occasional customer who claims (rightly or wrongly) his engine was destroyed by overheating caused by a product defect, and then the headaches really start.
PS - @Rich Stidger I'm not saying you'd be that guy -- just extrapolating and taking off in another direction.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I've been thinking about an Ebay business when I retire. Plenty of garage sales for inventory. Full disclosure is key.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
we've had speedseals on the raw water pumps of oth of our boats and love them. yanmar apparently believes that the teeny little asymmetrically- placed bolts holding its pump cover on can easily be found once they are dropped . replacing the pump cover with the speed seal was faster than fishing for the little weird yanmar OEM bolts every time we changed our impeller.

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
I only found the old Speedseal Patent that's run out after 20 years. The newer version must be under another name because I can't find it and I've done a bunch of Patent searches.

Attachments

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
I’ve got one on my 3GM30F and my Northern Lights 5.5KW generator. I have had no problems. Have a boat neighbor who will buy 2 if someone picks up the business and I would like some more Teflon washers. Simple device that makes changing impellers much easier and I don’t have to worry about dropping those tiny screws that held the original on.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Yeah, the bronze washer wore the cap and part of the pump, not too happy. Maybe I’ll just flip the cap and use it without the washers.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Worn plates...
I think I have about 2400 hours each on my Yanmar 4j.. and my Westerbeke 7.6 KW generator. I flipped the plate over on the Yanmar after about 16 years, I'm on same side on the generator after 21 years.

I wouldn't fixate on the plate, fellows.

The Speedseals were a great buy for us. They have worked like advertised.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Yeah, the bronze washer wore the cap and part of the pump, not too happy. Maybe I’ll just flip the cap and use it without the washers.
Sounds like the same wear I experienced. SpeedSeal told me their design was fine and it was either me or that my pump housing was out of round. I sent them measurements that proved my housing was round within a couple thousandths and showed that the slop in the thumb-screw to cover hole was the cause of the bronze washer wearing the cover plate. I even suggested a simple inexpensive fix for the problem.

Nope, still not a design issue. It's me. :angry:

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Sounds like the same wear I experienced. SpeedSeal told me their design was fine and it was either me or that my pump housing was out of round. I sent them measurements that proved my housing was round within a couple thousandths and showed that the slop in the thumb-screw to cover hole was the cause of the bronze washer wearing the cover plate. I even suggested a simple inexpensive fix for the problem.

Nope, still not a design issue. It's me. :angry:
Flip the cover? I’ll take a picture when I do.

I could have 1000 hours on mine.