Speedseal

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
The talk here of flipping the plate over and praise for the SpeedSeal suggests to me that users are happy with the ORIGINAL SpeedSeal design where the cover is flat on both sides and can be flipped if wear appears.

The others, some of whom are unhappy because of destructive wear on the cover plate and inner bearing parts are using the SpeedSeal Life version. The cover plate on the "LIFE" model cannot be flipped because the inner surface is machined to accommodate the rotating disks that were designed to eliminate friction and subsequent impeller failure. It is those rotating disks that cause the wear due to the design allowing them to be aligned off center.
I got the disks sitting at the nav station. I’m using the flipped cover like the original cover but like the slotted holes for slipping it in place. I’m also using a paper gasket instead of O-ring for more coverage area.

I should have seen some wear on an earlier impeller change but it wasn’t apparent. On the pump side, can that scoring be filled in at a machine shop, or is it toast.