South Coast 26 Build and sailing trip thread

Aug 30, 2018
SouthCoast 26 Denver CO

May or may not keep the name. We need to get to know her before we petition Posiden to forget the old name.

I started a thread back here: https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/south-coast-26.193256/ asking what to look for and if anyone had ever owned one of these. The ship looked pretty good and going on the advice here and at another forum my girl friend and I bought it. We got it at a pretty low price we think, but we also know that is because it needs work. It has been sitting for a couple years. There are some obvious issues, and some that I am sure will crop up as we dig into it.

This thread is going to probably be a slow one. Time and money are involved, and I find I have one or the other. Some things are well with in my capabilities and others I am going to have to learn as I go. We hope to get her sailing this year (cold wind doesn't bug me, thats what long johns are for). And hope to have a lot of fun pulling it around to different lakes and reserviors this next summer, with a two week trip with my two daughters and my girl friend at the end of it on Lake Peck in MT. This first post is going to be mostly words and notes for myself. I know a few things that need to be done right off the bat so I plan to use this as a place to keep my notes and add to them as time goes on. The thread itself will be very pic heavy is my current assumption.

The goal with this ship is to make it sailable by one person. My girlfriend and I will be sailing together since it is our boat, but you never know when something might happen and you need to solo while someone else is on bedrest. Being able to do anything on the ship by yourself is important. Including raising and lowering the mast.

To Do List in no particular order:
1 Get the boat from Lake McConaughy to Denver Metro where I live.
Done!
2 Clean the thing, its been sitting!
3 Rebuild the entire trailer brake system and install new EVERYTHING.
Done
4 Rebuild the trailer lights.
Done
5 Rewire the ship - The electrical makes me twitch a bit, Everything is getting gutted and done right. Then I am going to put many of the switches needed to operate things right at the steering so it can be done with out leaving the wheel.
6 Tighten up all the bolts going through the hull. Some have play. I think some backing plates are in order, but haven't crawled around to check.
7 Sand and seal the wood trim, or replace.
8 Install a refrigerator freezer where the ice bucket cooler is.
9 Expand the storage shelves
10 Build a gin pole and incorporate a small electric winch for raising and lowering the mast
11 Oil change and general maintenance on outboard
12 Build mast holder that slides into rudder holder
13 Address the winch system for keel. Needs to be tested and either rewired or replaced.
14 Change the lighting of the interior to led
15 Install some book shelves
16 Possibly change out the front hatch with an RV fan and cover.
17 Repair main sail where threads have unraveled

More to come as I explore this and find other projects. Goal right now is a test run on the water in a month to 6 weeks. But cant really start till the girl friend gets back from elk hunting. She wants to do this together and I agree.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2018
SouthCoast 26 Denver CO
This last weekend I brought it out from Lake Mac to the Denver metro. Trailer has no brakes and it had the mast up when I picked it up. Girl friend was out on a hunting trip so I did this with the help of my oldest daughter. Who was a rockstar! Super helpful!

I didn't bother fixing the brakes while out there. Too much to deal with and get it back in one weekend. And parts were a who knows issue. The three things I needed to do were move the sailboat further forward on the trailer, drop the mast and check the wheel bearings. And of course drag it back.

Forgot to grab some pics of the bearings when I tore them down and checked them. Jacked each wheel up and checked for play. Only two wheels had play and I tightened the bearings (yes, I know not the right way but needs must) and shot some grease in them through the bearing buddy. I don't like the bearing buddy but it got me where I needed to go this week. I am going to just plan in the future to rebuild the wheel bearings every year or so. Cheep easy maintenance.

Next was getting the ship a little further forward on the trailer. Previous owner said it was a tail wagging the dog when he pulled it. Over a ft between the bow and the cradle.

As you can see the ship was WAY to far back on the trailer. Easy to fix, put in the water and move it forward.

She floated really easily. Though I did have to get the rear wheels pretty far in. The exhaust was blowing bubbles.
But end result was the ship was now MUCH closer to the front of the trailer.

I had them touching in the water but as soon as I dragged it out it separated a bit. Probably could have done it one more time and gotten it tight.

Next step was dropping the mast.

Thankfully Lake Mac has a hand crank crane. There is no way in hell I could have done this by hand. Nope. Not with out needing back surgery after. My kiddo was fantastically helpful on this. She ran the crank and I moved things this way and that. I built a small x brace for the mast to sit in and it worked alright. I will make a better one before the next trip. One that can store easily and be a bit stronger.

Since I had driven out that morning and done all this in the afternoon I was beat. We crashed at the lake and left Sunday morning to come back. I had a nice big truck to haul it with (not going to be the primary tow vehicle since it is for sale) that I used knowing it had no brakes. 5500 lbs is not good with out brakes. Nope, not at all. But the ford was able to stop it. Not fast, but it would do it. My daughter and I left Sunday morning at about 8 from Lake Mac and took nothing but side roads. Didn't get her speed up over 50 mph. I got passed by everyone! Finally got to the parking lot in front of my shop by 4 pm. It was a long drive. It usually takes 3 hours to drive that distance.

Now the real work starts.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I had them touching in the water but as soon as I dragged it out it separated a bit. Probably could have done it one more time and gotten it tight.
Trailer Sailor Trick.....
You need to do "the bump". While the skids are still wet, get up to about 10 mph and slam on the breaks. The boat will nudge up into the bow stop and then you can tighten the winch and put on the extra straps. "The bump" is much easier to perform when the trailer breaks are working.

Don't do this with the mast up!

Aug 30, 2018
SouthCoast 26 Denver CO
Trailer Sailor Trick.....
You need to do "the bump". While the skids are still wet, get up to about 10 mph and slam on the breaks. The boat will nudge up into the bow stop and then you can tighten the winch and put on the extra straps. "The bump" is much easier to perform when the trailer breaks are working.

Don't do this with the mast up!
Thank you! That makes a lot of sense! Next time she comes out of the water that is happening.

Jan 19, 2010
another trailer sailor trick is to take your spring line (or other long dock line) and place the loop on one of your winches, then take the line around the outboard and to the other winch. Then using the second winch, make the line tight and cleat it off. This will take most of the outboard weight off of your transom and transfer it to the winches. Now you can trailer down the road and not worry that hitting a pot hole might tear your transom off.

A lot easier than taking the O.B. off every time your trailer.

Aug 30, 2018
SouthCoast 26 Denver CO
another trailer sailor trick is to take your spring line (or other long dock line) and place the loop on one of your winches, then take the line around the outboard and to the other winch. Then using the second winch, make the line tight and cleat it off. This will take most of the outboard weight off of your transom and transfer it to the winches. Now you can trailer down the road and not worry that hitting a pot hole might tear your transom off.

A lot easier than taking the O.B. off every time your trailer.
I never took the motor off. Just stressed about it all the way back... Your way is much better.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Yeah, but do not be too aggressive the first time you bump it. You want the boat to move, not anything more. :)

Aug 1, 2011
Looking at that little chock and the angle it’s at and, well, what would happen if the boat hit it at 30 mph. The hole is too high for a bow thruster. :)

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
I'm not a fan of the brake bump so have devised other ways to bring the boat to the bow stop. The double winch is the simplest. Extend the current winch post 2', or higher, above the bow eye and add a second winch to lift the bow as you bring the boat on to the trailer using the primary winch to move the boat forward. If you make this second winch high enough you can use it to raise the mast with a gin pole. If you mark where the bow stop should seat on the bow you can put the boat in the proper place everytime. It all has to do with making the boat, while sitting in the water, the same angle as the trailer is on the ramp or at least close. If you want to build a new or highly modify your trailer, my latest trailer design works better.

Attachments

Aug 1, 2011
A rotating keel stop positioned at the "pivot point" allows the boat to settle into the trailer when it's not at an optimal angle. Removes the need for other winches and stuff, and gets it right before the trailer comes out of the water. A brake bump will not be happening with 7500 lbs of boat.....

Jan 19, 2010
... A brake bump will not be happening with 7500 lbs of boat.....
@Meriachee. You know I have a lot of respect for your opinions but this advice is not based on good data. The South Cost 26 has a displacement of 3300, not 7500.

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=1328

I have trailered a Balboa 26 (3600 lb displacement) from central Virginia to Oriental NC and sailed it on several lakes in between and I did the bump every haul out. It is not a violent act. Someplace above 5 mph and below 10 mph followed by a gentle tap on the breaks cinches everything up and then you get out of the car, tighten the straps and your are ready for a long distance (and safe) haul.

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=484

Jan 19, 2010
I would suggest you trade out that weak looking winch cable for a sturdy strap and a larger trailer winch.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Everyone has there techniques.
I pulled my boat up to the trailer post wile in the water. Then I attached the manual winch on the trailer to the bow and tighten end the boat to the trailer. I then ran a line from the starboard cleat around the post and tied it to the port cleat. When I pulled it out of the water it was snug up to the trailer post. Never needed to slam on the breaks to bump the boat.

Aug 1, 2011
I was referring to the little Catalina. I wouldn’t even think of bumping it, the pads would bend.
Sorry if it sounded like I was referring to another vessel.

Aug 30, 2018
SouthCoast 26 Denver CO
I would suggest you trade out that weak looking winch cable for a sturdy strap and a larger trailer winch.
I have a spare that came with the boat. Needs some tlc but it is a nice strap winch. Some spot welding and it should be good to go.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Plus one on the bump but slow and after each brake, tighten winch. I am not a fan of placing any line around the keel to winch up particularly a Southcoast as you could be pulling it down with the boat at an angle causing some issues from a retired dealer perspective. I use to own a SC 22. The company went out of business long ago and of all things part of the reason was due to molds destroyed by a hurricane.

Also you may want to raise the chock one bolt hole upward on winch stand

Aug 30, 2018
SouthCoast 26 Denver CO
Spent the last week working on getting the trailer up and running. Not all week mind you, but off and on. Now that it is in front of my shop it is much easier to get out, do some work, and then get back to actually working when needed. I pulled all the old wiring, lights and brake lines off it. None of it was any good any longer. This is most of it, though not all.

I repacked all the wheel bearings and installed trailer brakes on the front axle.

Bearing buddy used to make sure bearings stayed cool on the drive out, totally blew through the seal.

We went with electric brakes (I realize that is going to start some conversation) but rebuilding the hydraulic brakes wasn't appealing to me and upgrading to a four wheel disc run by a new hydraulic surge wasn't something we have in the budget right now.

I ended up reusing the drums since the spindles are odd size. Next brake change I need to change them out. Hope to get a few years down the road first.

Hung some new lights. And ran new wires all the way.

Old and busted.

New hotness. The plate I had to fabricate a bit from an old heat shield in the scrap pile. Needed one more bolt hole.

Hey, it worked. May upgrade down the road but as long as it holds I don't care that much.

All the wires got run through the frame and inside the box frame on the tongue up to the connector. Turned out pretty well. All connections are done with but connections with built in heat shrink and a center solder. Love those but connectors. Use them all the time.

Hooked it up to the tow vehicle (GX470) and noticed there may need to be a little bit of adjustment of how the mast rides before I do a test drive...

I got a good idea from a buddy. When the tiller is removed I can fit something in there to hold the mast. That is another construction day though.

The girl friend and I have also been cleaning the insides out with some bleach and elbow grease. Not done inside yet but we made a huge dent. No pics yet. Will do a before and after when that is done.