Some SBO 'recognition' on Sailing Anarchy

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
What a twisted and myopic notion of "free speech." Vulgar language and denigrating others is not free speech, it is crass and uncivil. Free speech is not license to be rude, misogynistic, or racist.
It actually is, you have to trust the market to call out the speech that is vile. Vile is relative though, and the standards change. SA is having a hard time pulling through some of this. What was accepable filth is now getting cross-checked once and a while.

SBO moderators do a great job here, but its a free forum for entertainment purposes only. I wouldnt whine if objectionable material got missed.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Sailboat owners: people fixing sailboats, often with little experience on water or with common physics. Retired and filling time. Freespeech is limited. Pretty good technical info, but the number of experts suggest a groupthink attitude.
Wow, I doubt that the technical assistance you may need to operate and maintain an h170 will be enough to keep you here. Some members have plenty of blue water experience but most are coastal cruisers and recreational sailors. Some are retired and contributing with collected experiences. Plenty of engineers in the group with applied physics knowledge; no need for Theorical Physicists. The technical information provided is darn good! As far as groupthink, I think that is an asset that has taken time to cultivate; it helps weed out technical misinformation. Let us know if you have any technical questions we may help you with.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
Wow, I doubt that the technical assistance you may need to operate and maintain an h170 will be enough to keep you here. Some members have plenty of blue water experience but most are coastal cruisers and recreational sailors. Some are retired and contributing with collected experiences. Plenty of engineers in the group with applied physics knowledge; no need for Theorical Physicists. The technical information provided is darn good! As far as groupthink, I think that is an asset that has taken time to cultivate; it helps weed out technical misinformation. Let us know if you have any technical questions we may help you with.
I have defended existing members as such, mostly an all star cast. Youll note that i keep my nose out of most posts that are not related to the 170, but have no shame jumping into sailtrim.

This is the only forum i post. After owning the 170 it became obvious how little info there was out there so I hopped in. Seems the 170 gets too much attention now.

I like fixing and making my boat better as much as i like sailing. Im alway up to learn how a different boat is repaired.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
This has been an entertaining thread.

Because of our branded sites (Beneteau-Catalina-Hunter-Oday-Mac) we attract a bunch of new sailors, as was mentioned up-thread. The idea here is to keep the forum civil enough so new users/sailors are not afraid to post and ask questions. Unless I'm missing something, the only speech we prohibit is political and derogatory. You can certainly call people on bad information here, you just can't call them stupid.

I believe we're at the other end of the spectrum from SA. Both ends are important, and SA has done a great job of doing what they do.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
The worst part of it is that, evidently, some SA “contributors” feel that they are entitled to bring their arrogant, condescending and often vulgar, as you say, “opinions” to other circles where sailors interact, such as in social club racing, and spew it there to folks who do not understand its “culture”, or even wish to. Those folks sometimes go away wishing never anymore to do sailboat racing or the people associated with it.:(
I have to admit that I mixed it up in there on a thread where people were chastising cruising class racers as being idiots and a blight on "real" racers. Frankly, it was so bad, I considered withdrawing from racing until I got over it and just figured I really didn't care what they thought. That was the last time I went there a long tome ago. I probably shouldn't be commenting on that since there are plenty of really good people on those boards, but it does illustrate how successful some people are at chasing away others.

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
SBO is the best forum if you have a boat and want to become familiar with it and its systems. The answers to my posted questions (some considered stupid I am sure) helped me solve many problems and saved me thousands of dollars over the years I spent here. The atmosphere here is encouraging and collaborative. I would have been skewered if I posted them on SA. Also I think the Admiral would not have approved if I chose to follow the initiation rules. I read SBO religiously but look at SA only when I am bored on the plane and there is nothing left to do. SA is just entertainment. Most of the folks there are way out of my class and that is just fine with me. Rimas used to be fun to follow but that also got old. In my opinion the two sites are apples and oranges.

Oct 10, 2013
Catalina 22 Minneapolis
I don’t recall ever learning anything worthwhile reading posts there; but, I don’t go there often.:p
Although there are a lot of very experienced and knowledgeable people on SA, the signal-to-noise ratio is very low.

And I say this as someone who contributed to the noise part, because I started that thread over there... (Thanks for snitching on me, Jackdaw! Jeez, ratted out by another midwestern small boat owner.)

I mean no harm. I was just amused by those two threads next to each other, and as others have noted SA has a different tone so it seemed like a better place to laugh about it than SBO.

What can I say. It's cold, the lake is starting to ice up, and my boat is on the trailer. I was looking for some laughs!

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I mean no harm. I was just amused by those two threads next to each other, and as others have noted SA has a different tone so it seemed like a better place to laugh about it than SBO.
I have to admit that it was a pretty funny observation. You have a good eye! I have to admit that I didn't catch on until I read it at least twice. You could have posted it here, I think. There would have been some good replies …