Some SBO 'recognition' on Sailing Anarchy

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I liked your use of paragraphs.
:plus:
I also did. Plus, I like the emojis.

I give a lot of likes. I have reasons for each, but I understand JD's point and he doesn't get as many "likes" from me because I know how he feels about cheapening their use by over using them. I don't count or use likes to judge content. I read content. If I can't tell the value of a post by what it says as a stand alone or in context, I move on. I didn't even know there was a like counter until someone pointed out how many lines I have. Now I finds myself checking it:cool:.

I just have fun here and hope my participation gives value to others as I get value from them.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I think, you're over-thinkin' it. :) The owners of sailing forums have to make money, of course. I don't find any pop up ads that are bothersome here, it's pretty clean. Stuff they sell is on the periphery of my screen. It's a top notch platform that I can use on phone or laptop with ease(other sites are nearly useless on my mobile device).

All the forums have a character of their own so you can choose. You're thing is racing new boats, Jack. Mine is classic boats and sailing - slowly - along coastal Maine.

For us to meet anywhere and talk, is pretty amazing. :)
This got a "like" from me because I agree. SBO is the only place I go because I have no need for SA or any of the others. If the content is too low-brow or high-brow, there is an on-off switch and absolute freedom to move on without comment. Personally, I feel like the conversations are perfectly suited to me. I'm often amazed at the breadth of general and specific knowledge in the SBO forums.

I think I'd be bored and leave within a few minutes in SA. I guess the only times I've ever looked inside SA or one of the others is when I've googled something and led there to read a part of a discussion. I've never read anything in those forums that made me feel like joining ... only in here.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
If the content is too low-brow or high-brow, there is an on-off switch and absolute freedom to move on without comment.

I think I'd be bored and leave within a few minutes in SA. I guess the only times I've ever looked inside SA or one of the others is when I've googled something and led there to read a part of a discussion. I've never read anything in those forums that made me feel like joining ... only in here.
I thought SBO was a lively group of fora compared to the sleepy little brand-specific
IP Home Port.
After a few days perusing SA, especially their heavily-populated political forum, I can't keep up!
Choose your battles.

Aug 16, 2016
Pacific Dolphin 24 Phoenix, Arizona
Latitude 38, Dolphin24, SA and Cruisers and Sailing Forum make up my daily dip into the sailing news and updates. All are different, but they each give me a bit of knowledge to round out my sailing knowledge/viewpoint/global point of view. Yeah, SA can get a bit crass at times, but they cover sailing news not found anywhere else and I can chose to click on to something else if I don't like it. Besides they have SCOTW! Not as good as Boat Babe, but at least it's something in her absence. lol We miss you Boat Babe!

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The boat babe showed up in Lattitudes magazine this month. What the heck.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
:plus:

I give a lot of likes. I have reasons for each, but I understand JD's point and he doesn't get as many "likes" from me because I know how he feels about cheapening their use by over using them. I don't count or use likes to judge content. I read content.
And that' cool.

Most people here know I love to share sailing knowledge, but am not here to collect friends. If I think you're off base or wrong, I'll say so. If you make the mistake of doubling down on dumb, it might be a rough ride. I don't suffer fools. That being said, I think overall the group here is great, and the mods to a great job of keeping it that way. So I would not change a thing.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
And that' cool.

Most people here know I love to share sailing knowledge, but am not here to collect friends. If I think you're off base or wrong, I'll say so. If you make the mistake of doubling down on dumb, it might be a rough ride. I don't suffer fools. That being said, I think overall the group here is great, and the mods to a great job of keeping it that way. So I would not change a thing.
and that gets a like from me..... ;)

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
So, likewise, why count the number of posts?
Great point. I sometimes (not every case) see the number of posts and think, “OK, is this someone who thinks everyone else needs the benefit of his magnificent insight on every single topic?”.

I’ll admit to having been chastised a few times for making a sarcastic reply or two, probably involving rum, by someone who seems to have been mysteriously banned. Maybe I don’t take my self seriously enough. I’m long past the point in my life that I feel any need to impress someone else (or maybe even the capacity to?). I’m finding it much more satisfying cultivating friendships. Frankly, I’m amazed that some apparently full time professionals have so much time on their hands to post so much!

[edit: and even I wrote this before seeing a post about making friends!]

Last edited: