Some SBO 'recognition' on Sailing Anarchy

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
I don’t recall ever learning anything worthwhile reading posts there; but, I don’t go there often.:p
My browser history will show visits to the site, but I only go there for the boat photos. I’m no where cool enough for their forums, my ball cap bill is curved.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I don’t recall ever learning anything worthwhile reading posts there; but, I don’t go there often.:p
Thats fascinating.... for me, I love posting here to share, but I find it 10x more valuable for me over there in terms of personal learning. The average poster on SA is a world class racer, designer, or sailor. And they call you on your shit. Here I argue mindlessly with guys that cannot get their mast on a Hunter 23 straight. On SA I discuss real issues with guys that have circled the planet solo on a Class 40s. Jackdaw both places.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Yeah- I know it’s a high-end forum. I just do not visit it often; in fact, not for several years now. And, I do not remember what was being “debated” the last time I did. I’ve never been one for “spectator sport.”

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Kinda funny... in a thread called:
I think sailboatowners.com is become a masturbation and impotence forum

View attachment 158681
I've read a few threads at SA. Found some good information and also found the group, in general, rude, misogynistic, and arrogant. Their over all tone is not to my liking.
Jackdaw's example IS funny, though.

-Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I read and post, but only in the Cruising Anarchy forum. I forgot why I don't read the main SA, so I just took a look....

Right! SA is too sexist for me, pretty archaic today.

But CA has an interesting group of posters. Great on boat design, new and old and many sailors that just love sailing. Every sailing forum has it's unique character that is a sum of the posters.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
In the past I visited SA almost daily after a few years I drifted away. Posts that were interesting, humorous, or valuable were too often drowned out by, as @Will Gilmore said, the "rude, misogynistic, and arrogant" tone of too many posts. To mix metaphors, the gems were too often lost in a garden of weeds.

Based on @TomY's comments I will check out CA.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
In the past I visited SA almost daily after a few years I drifted away. Posts that were interesting, humorous, or valuable were too often drowned out by, as @Will Gilmore said, the "rude, misogynistic, and arrogant" tone of too many posts. To mix metaphors, the gems were too often lost in a garden of weeds.

Based on @TomY's comments I will check out CA.
I'm Kris Cringle over there. But you'd recognize me as my name is on most of my photos.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
Sailboat owners: people fixing sailboats, often with little experience on water or with common physics. Retired and filling time. Freespeech is limited. Pretty good technical info, but the number of experts suggest a groupthink attitude.

Cruising forum: unemployed and fixing toilets and polluting in third world counties. Ssb radio is broken and cant afford overseas navigation charts. Trying to take jobs from thirdworld counties.

Sailnet: random library of babel. Search for anything youll find it. Answers found cant be correlated to true or false.

SailingForum: people turning yardwaste into lasers and sunfish.

Sailing Anarchy: real humans in a freespeech, free-market presentation of info. Anything after 10 posts is sailing noise, entertainment gold. Idea searches are extremly useful.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Maybe. But SBO “blocks” discussion of and within entire subject areas, which goes beyond maintenance of “civil” discourse. I don’t care b/c most of the time I’d find myself arguing with someone not interested in real discussion in those subject areas, etc., anyway.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
As a mod on a smaller owner site, I mostly agree with Brian...
:)

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
It's not like SA isn't moderated.
I've gotten the ban hammer as have many for posting anything not conforming to the agenda of most of the posters and scott.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
What one person calls SBO's "lack" of free speech, I like to refer as keeping our house civil and clean. There is nothing wrong with that.
That was me. I said that :)

Mind you, im not asking for any site to change. I like all the sites lets just honest.

This site has a "wall".

Like people at church and work. They speak a new language and act diffetently, than among people who accept them for personal traits.

This site is church and work.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Sailboat owners: people fixing sailboats, often with little experience on water or with common physics. Retired and filling time. Freespeech is limited. Pretty good technical info, but the number of experts suggest a groupthink attitude.

Cruising forum: unemployed and fixing toilets and polluting in third world counties. Ssb radio is broken and cant afford overseas navigation charts. Trying to take jobs from thirdworld counties.

Sailnet: random library of babel. Search for anything youll find it. Answers found cant be correlated to true or false.

SailingForum: people turning yardwaste into lasers and sunfish.

Sailing Anarchy: real humans in a freespeech, free-market presentation of info. Anything after 10 posts is sailing noise, entertainment gold. Idea searches are extremly useful.
What a twisted and myopic notion of "free speech." Vulgar language and denigrating others is not free speech, it is crass and uncivil. Free speech is not license to be rude, misogynistic, or racist.

Free speech refers to free expression of ideas and discussion of those ideas in the public square. Free speech means the government can not ban or punish those who criticize it. Free speech does not mean you can say anything you want at any time and any place.

Free speech means the government and its officials can not unreasonably deny access to the press, there is a pending court case on this as we speak. Free speech means that we can not condone the murder of a journalist who is critical of the state.

SBO, SA, CF, SailNet, et al. are not in the public square. As private enterprises they are free to regulate speech and set community standards. If you don't like the standards, don't go there. Just the same as if someone came to your home and began to carry on in an uncivil manner, you would be perfectly within your rights to ask the person to leave and never come back.

While there is no doubt that there are some decent civil folks on SA, it is not dominated by them. Many may be knowledgeable as sailors, however, IMHO they do little to promote the sport and when the attitudes displayed are carried back to the local level, it drives people away and out of the sport. Knowledgeable and talented sailors they may be, but they are not the type of sailors I want to sail with any more. I've sailed with some of them, it wasn't fun.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The worst part of it is that, evidently, some SA “contributors” feel that they are entitled to bring their arrogant, condescending and often vulgar, as you say, “opinions” to other circles where sailors interact, such as in social club racing, and spew it there to folks who do not understand its “culture”, or even wish to. Those folks sometimes go away wishing never anymore to do with sailboat racing or the people associated with it.:(

Last edited:
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Hey, you want 100% free speech, start your own forum. This is not a political nor religious forum, no need for free speech here, just boat talk. We are doing fine as we are. People post incorrect stuff and moderators make crummy jokes what more freedom do you want? Two cardinal rules, no name calling and stick to boat topics. Some have to write a book to express these principles, I prefer straight talk.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Hey, you want 100% free speech, start your own forum. This is not a political nor religious forum, no need for free speech here, just boat talk. We are doing fine as we are. People post incorrect stuff and moderators make crummy jokes what more do you want?
We have that already. It’s called Twitter.