Smart Plug- Yea or Nay

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
If I'm looking for a cord, how does the Marinco EEL (+ Smartplug connector) compare in quality to the premade Smartplug cord? Smartplug's claim to fame is electrical safety, so I assume that they make a good cord and as good a dock-side connector as possible (given the old twist-lock form factor on that end). But the Marinco is more likely to come on sale, so if their cordset is solid as well, I might watch for that one and replace the boat end with the Smartplug connector (the overall price difference isn't huge, but I'll save a little if I can).

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
If I'm looking for a cord, how does the Marinco EEL (+ Smartplug connector) compare in quality to the premade Smartplug cord? Smartplug's claim to fame is electrical safety, so I assume that they make a good cord and as good a dock-side connector as possible (given the old twist-lock form factor on that end). But the Marinco is more likely to come on sale, so if their cordset is solid as well, I might watch for that one and replace the boat end with the Smartplug connector (the overall price difference isn't huge, but I'll save a little if I can).
I'd bet that the Smartplug ends are soldered to the lugs on their cord. . Fabbing your own will use screws. Just spitballing here, but I'd bet the factory Smartplug cord is better. Adapter pigtails to get from Marinco to Smartplug sort of defeat the purpose.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
I'd bet that the Smartplug ends are soldered to the lugs on their cord. . Fabbing your own will use screws. Just spitballing here, but I'd bet the factory Smartplug cord is better. Adapter pigtails to get from Marinco to Smartplug sort of defeat the purpose.
Agreed that I don't want an extra pigtail - either way I think a single male twist-lock to female SmartPlug cable is best.

Given @Maine Sail's many comments about solder for marine electrical (e.g. at Marine Wire Termination), I would guess that a screw connection might be as good as solder (or even better). And I would think SmartPlug put some thought into it when designing their retrofit connectors (e.g. 30 Amp Connectors | Female Connectors | 30 amp rv power cord). I would think they might have shied away from those if they thought user installation was risky. I'll probably just plunk down the $$ for a Smartplug cordset, but I thought I'd still ask the question.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I thought I'd still ask the question.
Keep asking. In my previous life we always preferred soldering over screw posts so long as solder doesn't wick up the wire too far and cause a stress point. My guess is Smartplug has good quality control and has the proper tools with the right amount of heat to get the bond with the lugs.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I have been thinking about upgrading to a smart plug-with the new plug in the boat and cutting the head off the 30 A twist and lock and putting the new connecter - smart plug on ..
Thoughts?
Not the great experience you all have for sure, but I was soo happy this was taken care of by the previous owner and do not miss the twist in lock I had on my O'Day 25. I know that several people have seen my setup and are copying it, it is some $$$ but works so much better, that I had planned to make this change if my boat didn't come with one already.

Levin

Apr 7, 2007
Hunter 340 San Diego
Two words... Dielectric greese. Put it on the inlet of a standard twist lock inlet plug and say goodbye to burnt out plugs. As someone who literally burned up two cords before I was given this advice trust me it works. A decade later and no change in usage and not so much as a black spot on the plug. A lot cheaper than the Smart Plug and takes only moments to apply.

Take care,
-Levin

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
This may help solidify the decision...

SmartPlug vs. 1938
While reading Maine Sail's article I noticed that the back cover on my Smart Plug was missing. I contacted them to order one. They responded quickly and they are sending it no charge, along with a spare plug cover. Not only a great product, but excellent customer service too. It doesn't get any better.

Last edited:

PSR

Sep 17, 2013
Catalina 27 4743 MB Yacht Harbor, Richmond CA
Best mod I've done. When I pulled the old plug it was burnt. Mainsail had a really good article about it and I bought one right away.
Same for me. Mainsail convinced me. I guess you have to take the cable if visiting other marinas-probably a good idea anyway...
Someday marinas will want to change the shore connections to SmartPlugs for the sake of insurance benefits, if not for safety.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
UPDATE-We purchased the Smart Plug connectors and will update them in the spring when it is warmer than 22 degrees out!
Granted, no snow yet but too cold to get out there and start cutting !
Thanks to all!
Maine Sail-the video of the marina fire eased my wife into the deceision! :biggrin:

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Here is the End result and reason we installed the smart plug! We bought the smart plug in the winter and we were going to install it in the spring while on the hard and finally did so after the weather got better. Looking at the plug on the stern of the boat this is what I saw! Installation took about two hours-removing the old one-Cutting the end off the EEL cord and than re-installing the new Plug etc. on the cord and on the boat. This is a job that anyone can do, the instructions were a little oblique but if you can do any electrical work on a boat you can do this.
I did borrow by buddys wire cutter that made cutting the cable and stripping the wires easy.
As you can see there was a burnt spot and one of the prongs was pushed in! Saved!:D
Thanks for everyones encouragement and input!
As soon as we get a season on this I will let everyone know-Wife thinks it looks way easier to use for her!

Attachments

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
There were no questions in my mind that my 35-year-old cord and onboard outlet needed to be replaced. I had obvious signs of arcing, I read Mainsails post and bought and installed mine. I open the package at home and demonstrated for my wife how easy it was for HER to use the new cord vs "twist lock"

She never even asked "how much was it"

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@daviddp Who knew that a Smart Plug could save your boat and make ones home life good.

Maybe that is why it is called a “Smart Plug” instead of “just another but better designed Plug”...

Naaaaa.:laugh: That would just be silly and you could never get all of that on the packaging.