Smart Plug- Yea or Nay

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
I have been thinking about upgrading to a smart plug-with the new plug in the boat and cutting the head off the 30 A twist and lock and putting the new connecter - smart plug on ..
Thoughts?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Pull the yellow plug and Get Smart.
1575562818623.png

Once you go Orange the world is beautiful...

4 years and still HAPPY:dancing:.

The alternative is frightening... I found this in the Marina office, Vancouver BC.
IMG_3038.jpeg

The example of the Smart plug showed no burn out.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Just changed mine (at surveyors suggestion). Left the twist lock on the shore end. It's a much more secure set-up and was easy to do.
Do you take your cable with you when you visit other docks? We don't have any "destination " docks so our cords are woven thru the slip fingers. I imagine guest docks having cords. I may be wrong.

Apr 12, 2007
Hunter 420 Herrington Harbor South
Changed mine at the beginning of the season :) Easy to do and so much easier to connect/disconnect. As with M. Davis left the twist on the shore end.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Smart Plug is a better system than the twist and lock. But unfortunately you don't get the thermal breaker anymore thanks to political loddying. It is still far superior connection and quality.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Always. I've never been to a transient dock that had shore power cords available for guests.
Thetus has them, but reserve them for folks too far from the outlet, and need to extend their cord.

I always take my cord when leaving for more than a day sail. I also take the original Marinco style cord as an extension cord.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My cord rides with the boat. Sometimes I have to look for the marina plug, or get a bit creative (like pulling the bow up to the dock in order to reach the plug - Port Browning BC, or backing in, or looking at the fairway end of the slip to discover a second plug source :yikes: Port Hudson WA). I have not been disappointed (knock on wood). Upon arriving at Roche Harbor last May the dock girl was carrying a new plug to the slip should I need it to connect to their system.

At my boat end I feel the power connection is solid and does not lead to misalignment. The boat is is where a fire on my boat could occur.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
We always take our shore power cords when Cruising, and I would continue to do that, we also have a 30-50 amp cord converter that we always take as we have had times where 50 amp was all that was available.
How long and easy or difficult was it to swap over?

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
We always take our shore power cords when Cruising, and I would continue to do that, we also have a 30-50 amp cord converter that we always take as we have had times where 50 amp was all that was available.
How long and easy or difficult was it to swap over?
Very easy to swap Smart Plug Receptacle inplace of Marinco. The cutout footprint is exactly the same, so no new or modified holes. Remove 4 outer screws, loosen screws holding the 3 AC boat wires, reverse that with the Smart Plug , making sure to use Bed-It butyl. Probably 20 minutes including getting tools (screw drivers) out and putting them away.

For the cord I have a prebuilt one from Smart Plug.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
+1 for the prebuilt Smart Plug. I also converted a Marinco cable with the Smart Plug boat end as a spare. I felt that if the prebuilt was ever somehow damage I would be SOL as most transient marinas/fellow cruisers can loan you a Marinco cable but not a Smart Plug cable. I also have a straight Marinco cable that I use when necessary as an extension. Thus 3 power cables, 1 50' orange prebuilt Smart Plug, one 50' converted to Smart Plug for emergencies and one 50' Marinco for an extension.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
One of the best mods that I have done. Much more secure connection and very easy insertion and removal from the AC outlet on boat. No more fiddling with correct orientation and the threaded retainer ring! I used the existing power cord and converted it to a smart plug end. The smart plug boat receptacle is the exact footprint as a Marinco plug, so no modification necessary there. Took 60-90 minutes and was quite easy. Yes, you do have to carry the cord set with you, but you would likely do that anyway.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I waited for a sale price on the smart boat inlet and the smart 30-amp plug. I cut my old/CLEAN 50-foot Marinco cord to 33 feet to fit my home slip without much slack. The end with the female plug, I cut about a foot of wire so I could make whatever adaptor I might need for whatever configuration. I do take my old/dirty cord when I plan on a marina stay, stored in the anchor locker. Sold the 16 foot cord with male connector to a slip neighbor.