Skeg Wobble - Advice Needed

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
We were it in the Pacific on a fishing boat when one our group headed for the head. He was down for most of the trip. I had a pair of the wrist bands that applied pressure on wrist points. They seemed to help him enough to com out the stern and fight a fish.

Not sure of the effectiveness. It may be just anecdotal. Might be worth a try.
My wife is helped quite a bit by the wristbands. I think it’s a placebo but I’m not telling her that.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I've attached some close up photos of the shaft. The part never inside the rudder looks great, but lots of tiny imperfections below it. Have finally had a welder/machinist contact us back and able to bring it in to check it out.

Since converting to tiller we purchased and extra foot of stainless steel shaft that is already keyed for tiller attachment. But diameter is smaller than our shaft, so not sure if that's a safe idea to have ruder decrease in diameter at the top.

Thanks for the places to check out! I searched online and couldn't find anything similar so was going to have a new one fabricated but I'll check those first. View attachment 221246View attachment 221247View attachment 221248View attachment 221249
I would strongly suggest you replace that entire shaft. So that piece you got isn't going to serve you anyway. I would not put in smaller diameter shaft material. I'd have to see the whole design, but as a seat of the pants that would be my take.

Looking at the welds holding the tabs on, I would not approve those welds for my rudder replacement if I were doing what you are doing. You should have no putting or crevices in those welds. I personally would require those welds to be ground smooth or even close to polished.

dj

• Helpful
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I've attached some close up photos of the shaft. The part never inside the rudder looks great, but lots of tiny imperfections below it. Have finally had a welder/machinist contact us back and able to bring it in to check it out.

Since converting to tiller we purchased and extra foot of stainless steel shaft that is already keyed for tiller attachment. But diameter is smaller than our shaft, so not sure if that's a safe idea to have ruder decrease in diameter at the top.

Thanks for the places to check out! I searched online and couldn't find anything similar so was going to have a new one fabricated but I'll check those first. View attachment 221246View attachment 221247View attachment 221248View attachment 221249
That is serious crevice corrosion. Time for a new shaft and wings.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I was curious ... how are you going to go engineless? I don't blame you for disposing a diesel that may be in bad shape, but I'll suggest you can't go without auxiliary power of some sort. If I were you, I would look into an electric motor. Sailing Uma has already been referenced in this thread. You can check out how they make out with an electric powerplant - they talk about their need to be virtually engineless, but still need auxiliary power that is more than adequately provided with electric power. They evolved from a DIY motor to modern Oceanvolt system with a great deal of success all along the way.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
That is serious crevice corrosion. Time for a new shaft and wings.
With all due respect, it does not look like crevice corrosion, it looks like general corrosion. It's serious corrosion, that's for sure.

Apologies but it's rather a pet peeve of mine that everytime someone sees corrosion on stainless steel in the marine environment, they immediately call it crevice corrosion. It seems to be a fad of some sort that has gone way out of reality. If you are bothered by this comment, I'd be happy to have a serious in-depth metallurgical discussion about it.

This is not meant to be anything more than informative.

For the purposes of the OP - for sure that shaft is not safe for reuse. In my opinion in any case.

dj

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
With all due respect, it does not look like crevice corrosion, it looks like general corrosion. It's serious corrosion, that's for sure.

Apologies but it's rather a pet peeve of mine that everytime someone sees corrosion on stainless steel in the marine environment, they immediately call it crevice corrosion. It seems to be a fad of some sort that has gone way out of reality. If you are bothered by this comment, I'd be happy to have a serious in-depth metallurgical discussion about it.

This is not meant to be anything more than informative.

For the purposes of the OP - for sure that shaft is not safe for reuse. In my opinion in any case.

dj
Regardless of what name we give the corrosion, the cause of crevice corrosion and this shaft corrosion is immersion in deoxygenated water.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Regardless of what name we give the corrosion, the cause of crevice corrosion and this shaft corrosion is immersion in deoxygenated water.
Kind of off topic for this thread. If you'd like a more detailed conversation I'd be happy to do so. But I don't think this is the time and place. Up to you. Your statement above may or may not be correct. One would have to actually examine the corrosion and corrosion products to make an accurate assessment.

dj

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I'll suggest you can't go without auxiliary power of some sort.
Lynn and the late Larry Pardey would disagree, but I would not. They did two circumnavigations without an engine, but in a different time. Now even sailing into a marina without an auxiliary is frowned upon or downright prohibited depending on the location. Not to mention the safety challenges of not being able to motor from an approaching storm, handle a dragging anchor etc. I admire the gumption, and certainly give great kudos for the restoration work done, but I think the romantic notion of making do without an engine will cause more trouble than it’s worth.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
There's a funny story about the Pardies coming into a port on the East Coast of Africa. It was up a river. Larry radioed in asking for permission to come in. When the port found out they didn't have an engine, they said they couldn't come in. Apparently Larry made like static noises on the radio, turned it off, and sailed into the port... I don't recall which book this story is written up in, but it's pretty funny.

That being said, in modern ports with the number of boats around, it would be very hard to go engineless today. There are stated regulations in some areas that state you can't sail but must motor. Of course, one could avoid these but why?

Since you are opening up so much room with the engine removal, why not at least go electric? Or put an outboard on the back? Novice sailors starting out with no motor? Sounds like a formula for some expensive lessons...

A real life example from me just happened tonight. I'm anchored in Posito Blanco (small port on the southern Coast Of Gran Canary). I'm anchored in bay where there is a fair bit of ocean swell, so I was down tucked in behind an area to minimize the swell and be closer to getting into the port. I run a hard dingy with no motor, I row. Someone just anchored a boat next to mine where I absolutely know when the tide changes the two of us are going to be hitting each other. So I pulled my anchor and motored out of where I was then reset my anchor and I'm now back in more swell, but I'm in a good spot. I was blocked in by three sail boats on one side, a rock wall on the other and shallow water and rocks behind me. It would have been really difficult to sail out of there as the wind would not have allowed me any sailing angle to avoid all obstacles. I would have had to kedge myself out if there. That means loading my dingy with an anchor and line, rowing to a position dropping it them pulling my boat over to there. I'd have needed to do this at least 5 or 6 times to get my boat to where it could be anchored. That's just way too much work for me these days...

dj

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
Lynn and the late Larry Pardey would disagree, but I would not. They did two circumnavigations without an engine, but in a different time.
Yep, also James Baldwin did it with his boat Atom. I enjoyed 2 of his books. It definitely takes uncommon skill!

I admire Sailing Uma for their ground-breaking efforts with an electric motor. They discuss the pros and cons. They have spoken often about the need for them to become better sailors. They have to choose their weather windows entirely based on wind ... which means they have to go in some pretty disagreeable weather much of the time. They can't choose to take an easy ride on smooth waters and fair weather when there is not enough wind to get anywhere!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I would strongly suggest you replace that entire shaft.
:plus:
Looking at the corrosion on the shaft-unless you have it surveyed be a metallurgist you really can’t tell if the corrosion is surface or if the Integrity of the shaft had been compromised.

A rudder is a critical safety system on your boat. If as you indicate you plan on crossing an ocean you want everything to be life saving quality. The ocean will test your preparation. If any is wanting the ocean will punish you for your negligence.

Yes the Pardies sailed with out an engine. Lynn was an excellent sailor with extensive experience and knowledge. The most dangerous conditions for a sailboat is when it is sailed near the shore. Give yourself a chance and use your sails but have a reliable auxiliary on the vessel to get you out of trouble.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Looking at the corrosion on the shaft-unless you have it surveyed be a metallurgist you really can’t tell if the corrosion is surface or if the Integrity of the shaft had been compromised.
Just as a depressing note; a metallurgist would have to perform destructive testing on this piece to actually determine the full extent of the corrosion damage.

As @dlochner had implicated "crevice corrosion" - which I objected to that diagnosis based on your photos - there very well could be crevice corrosion in locations not visible in your photos - most notably initiating at the root of some of your corrosion pits.

There is no NDE test that can detect with sufficient accuracy the extent of the damages due to corrosion on that shaft. So since you would have to destroy the shaft to properly examine/test it - there is no reason, other than academic, to do anything further other than replace that structure.

dj

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
so let's step back and look at what we're talking about here. a short, fat, early eighties, french, around the cans, weekend racer design, tippy, fin keel, race rigged sailboat that was designed as a rule beater, not a passage maker.
can expect an awful ride in a blue water seaway, where it will need to be reefed, big time, almost all the time, manned by total newbies with a wife that was queezy on a floating dock. AND, through out the engine just because.

.... never liked sailing in a dense fog! jon

... but , i'm aware when i'm in one

PHAD!

Oct 26, 2008
so let's step back and look at what we're talking about here. a short, fat, early eighties, french, around the cans, weekend racer design, tippy, fin keel, race rigged sailboat that was designed as a rule beater, not a passage maker.
can expect an awful ride in a blue water seaway, where it will need to be reefed, big time, almost all the time, manned by total newbies with a wife that was queezy on a floating dock. AND, through out the engine just because.
Jon, the couple is in their 20's. They are excited, unafraid, unjaded by experience, plunging into work on a dream undeterred by fear of mistakes. Don't you know how delicious that is?

• Ha
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Besides, how irresistible is a gal in a Tevek suit to a sailor?
Nice tirade, ‘though Jon!

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
There is a US product similar, I'll have to look it up. Ah, meclizine. Haven't used that one but am told it's quite similar.
Meclizine is the generic name for the “less drowsy” Dramamine active ingredient. It’s much cheaper if you buy the generic.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
Besides, how irresistible is a gal in a Tevek suit to a sailor?
Nice tirade, ‘though Jon!
a tirade implies anger. i was not, am not angry.

befuddled maybe.
the design numbers say very tender. loading a ship is a science, so is loading a sailboat. mounting things willy nilly is a very bad idea. one only hopes he consulted a trained designer. sailboats, not kitchen rebuilds.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Meclizine is the generic name for the “less drowsy” Dramamine active ingredient. It’s much cheaper if you buy the generic.
BTW: Most of those mal-de-mere pills are just some version or other of an antihistamine. Even benidryl will help (but you will want to take a nap). If you want to try an all natural antihistamine, try milk thistle.