Singlehanding

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom Hopely

Still Looking and Sailing

Single handing is like anytthing else in life. It is what you do until the right one comes along. You do however sometimes pick up a straggler along the way who may want to go out for a daysail. But, for the main, it is just company for the next hour or two. On the other hand, single handing is like comunnung with nature, you and the elements. Sometimes very calm and sometimes not so calm. A good breeze and you're almost standing on the gunwhales as the toerail almost dips in the water. And then, ready-about, hard-a-lee! Sometimes gets exxciting with the tiller between your knees, letting go the lee jib sheet as you pass through the eye and taking in on the new lee sheet. Safety! Always in mind! Get whacked in the head and wind up in the drink, who's to blame? Like the road sign says, "Buckle up for safety." I enjoy sailing, however it is nice to have someone to talk to, so I crew occasionally for other single sailors. Smooth sailing!

G

Greg Madill

Nobody else

Seeing as no one else in the family is all that hot on going sailing makes it necessary to be self reliant on the water. Don't get me wrong. I do have passengers whenever they wish to go, but enjoying the freedom and peace that comes with sailing doesn't stop me from going it alone. There can be a lot said for being self-sufficient under sail. One learns to be better on every detail and condition of sail. Every journey provides you with a lesson to remember.

P

Pete Seymour

singlehanded

I single hand sail once in a while. If you do that especially in a light displacement boat, you can keep your sailing skills up to par while being aware of what goes on in front of you when you have a crew. The experiences can help you set up your boat for single handling. You have got to be able to do that if there is an emergency. So, go out and practice that skill.

D

Dave Smith

Great way to relax

Though I enjoy sailing with others, my favorite sail is alone; there is something amazingly calming about being on the water alone on quiet summer afternoons ( especially on the weekdays when the powerboaters are at home). My primary safety concern is staying attached to the boat - especially in the early summer while the water is so cold.

C

Cam Whetstone

Singlehanding with others aboard

I enjoy having others aboard. Not too many of my friends and relatives know the fore from the aft. My wife has gone out with me, but that is almost like singlehanding, except she usually makes great snacks and is a pleasure to be with. My two sons have no sailing experience. If my daughter were near, she would be a perfec partner--she was Cox'n Qualified in the Navy. My neighbor is an old salt. He has forgotten more than I will ever know. I have sailed as crew on his Columbia 26, and he has been co-captain on my Columbia 36. It is always a pleasure to go out with him.

D

Dan

The only way to sail...

As much as I love having my girlfriend aboard, I love singlehanding even more. The solitude, peace, beauty, quiet, and observing nature as only one can when alone with one's thoughts is the reward of a solo sailor. I regularly single handed an O'Day 35 on the Chesapeake Bay for several years without incident. Two and three day sails were the norm with the evening anchorages the highlight of the day. I love sailing double reefed into an anchorage and turning into a stiff headwind to drop a hook. I love sitting on the foredeck and letting out rode over the bow roller and feeling the anchor hit bottom and set. I use the traveller liberally while underway to avoid any surprise attacks by the boom, try not to get caught with too much sail up in a blow, dock bow-in with a spring line pre-measured to a side cleat, and watch those crab pots! What I wouldn't do is solo without a autopilot, a flaking system for the main, roller furling, or sail overnight or when you become too tired to think rationally and become a hazard to navigation (mostly yours.) Above all, enjoy your time alone. You'll learn more about sailing and the nuances of your boat than with a crew and your holding tank doesn't fill up as fast!

G

George Diesel

Single handing, my escape

Why do I sail single handed? I am a 100% disabled VietNam vet. and I find that sailing single handed helps me to find alittle peace in this crazy world. I don't listen to the radio or watch TV, I just listen to the wind and water and my little boat and they tell me all I need to know. Sometimes I think that sailing is my lifeline to sanity, so I hold tight to that lifeline. When the wind is wild as it often is in New Mexico, when the waves are moving in different directions my boat cuts through it all in a predictable way ,I see this as a lesson in life. God I love it. George

C

Capt Ed Teach

goin alone

I sail alone most of the time. Even when I have Pax most are non sailors. I also choose a boat for the day according to conditions or needs, I have a Windsurfer,Hobie 16, Teal and a Cal 25. This comes in handy as I can also choose a boat that will hold enuff beer for the trip

P

Paul Michaelis

independence

I usually singlehand finding that if preparations are taken to cover the most likely conditions the situation is quite pleasant. My boat is rigged for reefing down, all controls are led aft and the boat's rig is very well maintained. I have dealt with 40 mph winds, substantial seas and fog. All of these conditions can raise hackles at times but are part of going down to the sea. I wear a safety harness and inflatable flotation whenever conditions are less than ideal. I sail or power to a mooring depending on winds and currents, taking a mooring single handed in high winds always proves invigorating to say the least. I do not, however, go out intentionally in bad weather since I am not earning my living this way. I spent time at sea on destroyers, submarines and cable ships in weather that included North Atlantic winter gales and tropical hurricanes, the sea can be a fierce teacher and should never be underestimated. If you aren't prepared, don't count on luck to save you.

J

John Demarco

Single Handed

I sail single handed most of the time, usually never longer than a day. It can't be beat for all of the reasons already stated. I am married with a 5-yr old, neither of which truly enjoy the sailing spirit (atleast not yet!). The challenges and issues make you learn and plan carefully, and getting to know your boat under all conditions is invaluable (Hunter 31). I have learned somethings, however, from reading these posts. I have never thought of what it would take to re-board my boat if I ever fell off. I don't wear a harness, and I could not lower my boarding ladder from the water. This will now change. Confidence is a good thing, as long as it doesn't lead to complacency. An autohelm is the best thing for single handing, as I put mine to good use while doing all the "chores". :)

J

john

just to see if..

Have only owned my boat a few months, took it out single last fall, mostly from not having crew and wanting to go anyway, but also just to see if I could do it. Made me think ahead, have things ready and accessible. Motored out, raised the jib, all was well. Tried tying the tiller, but decided to just let it loose, went up to raise the mainsail. Sitting on the deck, cross legged around the mast, raising the sail, the boat found it's balance and took off ... it was exhilirating to be riding along up there with no one at the helm. I prefer sailing with others, but know i can do it.

D

David Alger

Sometimes you just have to get there.

I have only owned a sailboat for 8 years. Though I raced on other's boats before, I find the need to singlehand both a challenging and rewarding experience. Sometimes, when I wish to be alone, I hop aboard and take the boat out into Lake Michigan (about 5 miles is usually enough, stop the boat, turn on the music, grab a cool one and lay down in the cockpit while I drift and rock in God's cradle. Funny, when I've had enough, the troubles I thought so large are nearly as small as the change in my pocket. At other times, I must move my boat to another port. It is, at those times,when my skills are challeged, my sences are heightend and I feel the greatest sence of satisfaction. The sailing life is great. However, it is at its greatest when I am on the boat with my wife. We talk, laugh and luxuriate in our own little place in the world. For, you see, I have the opportunity to enjoy the two loves of my life and all is well with the world. Have a great day! David s/v "Emotional Rescue"

G

George Haus

You get to sail more

I sail single handed probably 95% of the time. To put this in perspective, between April 15 (put in) and Thanksgiving (take out) I go out on the average of 3 times a week. No one that I know wants to go sailing this much. I ALWAYS wear a co2 powered belt-pack life jacket (Stearns). Much more comfortable than the others - more likely that I actually put it on. Have a slip-knot attached 1/8" cord attached to my folding ladder so that it can be deployed from the water. Also, have a bit of weather-helm in my rudder balance so that the boat will start doing circles. Not fool proof, but better'n nothing. The best advice tht I can give anyone venturing into this to practice- practice - practice. I spend a good bit of time practicing reefing and putting up and dropping my sails.

S

Sam Morris

Hombre Solo

I do everything with my Hunter-40 including singlehanded sailing. See the related link. I singlehand only during daylight and light winds (up to 16 knots) although I have been caught by squalls. I use a safety harness and lifejacket. An autopilot is a must for flying the chute. My docklines are rigged for singlehand. Rarely do I have passengers who know how to handle lines in a current or even set and lower sails the way I prefer, so its as though every sail is singlehanded.

T

tho52mas@nccw.net

Almost no other way

I have a 12' Penguin that I sail alone. Always wear a ski vest and trail ropes with knots in the water and a empty jug on the end. This thing is FAST which is an illusion. It seams fast because its small. Nonetheless, I can take it out on a whim and have a blast practising going into the wind, reaching and trimming the sail. My other sailboat is a 19' mouette that is heavier, fast, and can seat a few, but why bother? Everyone just bitches or looks like they would rather sit and drink beer. You do that all winter, you can do it when you get home, but on tempermental Lake Erie, you better be sober and quick. And that's the challenge.

D

Don Williams

Sailing with or W/O

Yes, I single hand quite often. Most of the time I would perfer company but some time I go alone because I prefer it. My longest single handed experience was sailing my Hunter 35.5 from Pensacola, Fl to Isla Mujeres, Mexico via south Florida and Cuba. The most difficult part is docking and up anchoring in a stiff breese. With an auto pilot and advance planning, single handing is not that difficult. I try to plan my trips so that I never have a passage longer than one over nighter. Most people can stay for a singele night so it is not as dangerous as it might sound. I always wear a safety harnest if I leave the cockpit and add a life vest at night or when the weather acts up. Don W.

F

fred forbush

singlehanded tinker

I sail my 12 foot inflatable tinker traveller single handed. I purchased it for this reason and for its easy storing. I can easily sail this boat around catalina isl. Fred

M

M. Miller

Peace and Quiet

I love to take my boat out on Thursday afternoons(my time off) and sail with no distractions. Just me,the wind, and the water. Got so laid back one week I fell asleep at the helm for a while. I love to stay on the boat alone also. Almost the only peace and quiet I can get.

J

Jeff Rempel

Good

I usually single hand my Vision 32 and have for most of the 3 years I have owned her. It is actually very easy to sail alone and even in the summer on SF bay blowing 25 , has never been a problem. Once though got blasted and watched 2 boats w/ crew end up on the beach trying to 2 pull anchor and leave Angel Island. I was really sweating doing it alone. Just took my time, thought things through and it went well, but was very nerve racking. :) When i go out under the Golden Gate alone I harness up, but in the bay under most conditions just wear my inflatable PFD. Sometimes i actually find it easier to single hand w/ new crew aboard than to try to explain what's going on....lol Fair winds and smooth seas Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.