Singlehanding

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SailboatOwners.com

Do you singlehand your boat? Do you singlehand because of difficulty getting crew, because you like the challenge and satisfaction of handling the boat by yourself, or because you like the solitude and intimacy of being out on the water, just you and your boat? What's the hardest aspect of sailing singlehanded for you? Docking, reefing, flaking the main? How do you overcome these challenges? Do you wear a harness and clip in when you're singlehanding, or take other safety precautions? Share your singlehanding stories and be sure to vote in this week's Quick Quiz at the bottom of the home page. (Quiz contributed by Gary Wyngarden)

J

john King

feels good...

I do go out alone on occassion. It is demanding work and I ain't a kid. But I do think more about doing any chore on deck and work the boat carefully. Docking can be exciting as I am in a small area, (aren't we all), with lots of big buck guys around me as well as a USCG station in the same lagoon. So far things have been okay...

T

Tom Ehmke

Most of the time...

At first I singlehanded because of the difficulty of co-ordinating crew availability with good sailing weather. If the crew couldn't make it on a beautiful day, I went out anyway and in that way learned how to singlehand the boat. Now I singlehand most of the time because nothing except bad weather prevents me from taking the boat out when I have time to get down to the marina. Crew is always welcome but seldom a necessity. The greatest challenge for me is flaking the main. I have learned to make a quick roll up and tie while the boat is steered with a tiller tamer. I do the final flaking at the slip. On particularly windy days I motorsail into the channel and flake the main under the protection of some trees which line both sides of the channel. The only time the trees don't shelter me is when the wind is on the nose at that particular point in the channel and when the wind is on the nose... Docking has become a "breeze" since I read a number of suggestions on singlehanded docking on one of the threads by that title last season. All lines are lead back to the cockpit on my 272, so reefing the headsail is done from the cockpit. To reef the main, I point up, set up the tiller tamer, tension the topping lift, drop the main to a measured mark on the main halyard, make a quick trip forward to set the reef hook, and finish up in the cockpit by tensioning the clew reef line. I then ease the topping lift and tie off the foot of the sail at my leisure. No... it's not always as easy as it sounds. I use lots of sailor language to encourage myself when things go awry. Tom

T

Ttim Davis

Solitude

I often single hand my Hunter 34 for the pure joy of being alone on the boat with the wind and water. My biggest difficulties have to do with not having an autohelm. Setting the wheel seems to be good for 30-45 seconds while I raise or lower sails. Inevitably I will find it necessary to stop what I'm doing and put the boat back on course. Once under way and if breezes are steady, I can usually find the perfect setting for the wheel, and just maybe take a bathroom break. It had better not take too long though because she will eventually stray off course. Putting her into the slip is no problem unless I have a stiff side wind. I tie the bow line to the stay and hold the stern line in my hand while I maneuver into the slip, braking with the engine. When she is almost dead in the water I step on the dock and take a turn around the stern cleat. I then move quickly forward to retrieve the bow line from the stay to get the bow under control.

B

Bob Cassel

Solitude, challenge satisfaction

It's therapy for me. I've found that if I can account on myself first and formost, then when I do have crew on board, I'm more confident and they can relax more. I single hand about half or better of the time. When my wife is with me I still tend to do most of the undeway tasks single handed. Docking is something you plan for. Slow it down and be prepared: Rig some docklines, get the fenders out and have a plan. Lunch stops and head trips may need a heave to for it to be safe, but a well balanced helm and sail plan makes for at least a quick duck below achievable. Reefing is easy with the lines led aft, flaking the main is done with lazy jacks.

R

Rob R.

About 10% of the time...

That's about the extent of it. I love singlehanding, but I sail primarily on the weekend, and my wife loves sailing too... When I do singlehand, it is primarily because I ended up with some free time during the week, and had no advance notice. While I could call other folks to go sailing, I enjoy the challenge of running the boat by myself, as well as that special feeling that you get with your vessel when it is one on one. For those of you who know that feeling, nothing more need be said. Best Regards, Rob

J

Joe Mullee

If I want to sail.......

then it's usually singlehanded on my H34. I'm new to this whole deal and when I bought the boat last June it was like a new adventure. Every time I go out alone, which is most of the time, I'm working on something new and something old. From getting out of the slip, to raising the sails, to dropping the hook, it's really still all new to me. But it's a blast and I'm getting better all the time. I love the solitude. It totally relaxes me. I especially love when my family comes with me. My five kids enjoy it and I enjoy watching them captain the vessel. It's great. I'm still working on my wife. That's the #1 hope of the upcoming season. Please Lord, let her enjoy it too. The hardest part?? Backing her into the slip on a windy day with or without help. The next hardest part?? Everything else, but getting better. I always wear a harness tethered to the jack line when going foward if I'm alone. Period. One small wake or slip and it's a long swim to shore.

D

Dan

Single handing

Somebody asked me today, how long I have been sailing. After counting on my fingers, then counting boats; I realized that my first venture as a ragbag skipper was over 45 years ago. Like many people, my boats got bigger and more sophisticated until I sudenly found myself boatless (well, not counting inflatibles, sailing dinghies, laser, whaler, etc.) due to economic mal de mer several years ago. After rebuilding and trading of a near-derelict, I bought a "throw away" Newport 20 with rotted sails, foul bottom, and an ancient 6hp Johnson longshaft. She was in the water, and had been for sale with a broker for nearly 2 years when I found her and bought her for the cost of the moorage bill. WHAT A DELIGHT. I sail Tir Na Nog (Celtic for "forever young") several times a week, in and out of a rather tight slip that is 20-or-so tacks up a narrow fairway. For the first year, we did it without motor. But out of deference to the quirks of wind that sometimes make the last 200 yards dead to weather with no room to come about, we now sail with a 3hp Yamaha that ramins covered, stowed, and drained 19 trips out of 20. This little sweethart can handle two people well, and three is ok. She was born with berths for 5 (go figure). But, the deal is, that I can be underway without engine in 4 minutes and stowed in 6 minutes. She does 5 knots in a breeze, and when it goes light she can maintain steerage in a minimum of .5 knots apparent wind speed and as little as .25 knots of boat speed. This litle girl can work her way out of almost any tight spot and tack all day in two boat lengths of water. With the addition of a tiller pilot, basic instruments, and comm gear--who needs a crew? And ghosting across the bay with 2-3 inches of low tide water under the keel on a quiet night, it's hard to imagine messing it up with conversation. Anyway, size does matter. And, bigger is not always better when it comes to enjoying some the the things we got into sailboats for in the first place.

Apr 19, 1999
Pearson Wanderer Titusville, Florida
All of the above

I sailed dinghies for many years before moving to keelboats, so singlehanding sort of came naturally to me. Although I enjoy having company aboard, I prefer the challenge of sailing alone. I only wonder if it would feel as good if I had to do it for days or weeks on end and sleep became a problem. The hardest part of singlehanding is docking with an unfavorable wind. Having a well-thought out game plan and plenty of fenders and docklines ready (sometimes on both sides of the boat) helps. Practice and a tillerpilot make sail handling easy and reefing is a breeze (pun intended). The jib is stowed and the main neatly flaked on the boom by the time I make the marina entrance. I never used to wear a harness, but now I wear one when out alone at night. Peter H23 "Raven"

G

Geoff McLaughlin

Yup, all of the above too

When I first got my boat, I liked having one or two other crew, especially experienced crew, for obvious reasons. After awhile, I gained skills and confidence, and crew was harder to find, plus I wanted to sail 4-6 times a week. My schedule was flexible (then, not now!), and all my friends were on more rigid 9-5 deals. The kids were very small and wife was not comfortable herself or with the kids, so I went out alone a lot. The more I solo'd, the more I liked it (that was all Westport, Buzzards Bay, and surrounding). I now regularly go out in all conditions alone, and really love the solitude, time for reflection, peace. I do still like to have friends and family out, but most often, unless the chute is up, I have that syndrome of 'I'll do it myself' - I can do it faster, better, etc, the way I like it done. I have to fight that urge with the wife and kids, 'cuz I want them to learn, but with everyone else, I tell them to just hang out and let me take care of sailing the boat.

L

Larry Wright

Singlehanding - A trip to sanity!

As a service manager in a large heavy equipment dealership, the world gets pretty tense sometimes. After being deluged by requests for help, complaints, and overall demands for my time on a constant basis, I can think of nothing better than going out on my 340 and being alone with my thoughts. (Scary!!) The boat demands my attention at crucial times, but also provides me with the solitude to think through the days challenges, and come up with solutions to the future. The most challenging part of singlehanding this boat is backing into the slip on a windy day, but I've got the docks well protected with roller bumpers on the corners and have only dinged a rub rail once in 35 knot cross winds. A little aggrevation is the location of the sheet winches. I'm constantly having to set the autohelm and run back and forth to the main and jibsheets to adjust the sails. Bad design Hunter!!! I'm ordering the spinnaker (sp??) winches to bring the sheets aft, and will add some cam cleets if necessary. I always wear a life jacket when alone.

T

Tom Vandiver

Solo sailors a hazard to navigation

Based on my 40 years of sailing, anyone other than a few day sailors single handing are a definite hazard to navigation. No one can maintain an alert watch after a day or so without proper rest. Many accidents at sea have resulted from inattention or lack of a proper watch, which is in violation of any safety at sea rules. We are as concerned about solo sailors as we are concerned about weather, commercial shipping, proper navigation and piloting, or any other hazard. Other than a few hours day sailing, we consider anyone venturing off shore foolish,dangerous to prudent navigators, and a potential problem for the Coast Guard. Ask a solo cruiser aboard for dinner, in a short time you will know why they sail alone.

T

Tom Young

Some of my best days.....

I enjoy singlehanding for all of the reasons listed by other responders. The one thing I love the best is the feeling of satisfaction that can only come from a task accomplished alone. In todays business world the emphasis is on "teamwork", "quality improvement teams" and "continuous improvement workshops." My Dad once said a committee is a dead end alley you send a good idea down to get beat bloody. Our opportunities to test our mettle are few and far between. My longest singlehanding experience was crossing Lake Michigan from Milwaukee WI to Muskegon MI. The autopilot failed half way across and I had to hand steer. When I pulled into the harbor, rigged the docklines, tied on the fenders and docked it was such a sense of accomplishment. Although it is not a solo round the world event it was a big deal to me. Set your boat up right, file a float plan, have good communication equipment and always wear a harness when you leave the cockpit and you will be fine. I may not be a world class voyager but I sure feel like it after a succesful singlehanded sail.

G

gary@gjhconsulting.com

Love-Hate

Well... it's almost spring again. At least in my mind. ;-) And, again... I'm grappling with the idea of moving my B411("Paris") from FL (Miami) back to NY (E. Hampton). I do use a captain at times (J.C., e-mail me if interested) This will be my third round trip. I've single handed about half those miles. Inside (the ditch) and outside. Some night passages (none, single handed). I've always soloed the FL coast. I almost always motor/sail. Dusk to dawn I like to average 80nm per day. There's the high points! I answered our little quiz with "For the intimacy of being alone with my boat and the water". Which is true. However, after the first week... I'm starting to hate it. I love a nice long outside run, sunny day, 8 knots, following sea, a little help from "the wall" when heading north. (Hey! It happens!!!) I hate some of those long, boring, inside bays with the 100 foot channel you had better stay in. I love some of the ditch marinas. I hate some of the bridge tenders. I love NOT having to worry that I'm "over doing it" when I single hand it. I hate timing a trip for the crews' schedules! I love 89 cent fuel. I hate going aground when I'm taking one of MY "shortcuts". I love Norfolk (ICW-0)... coming or going (interesting!). I hate the outside run from Norfolk to Cape May... 'course I hate the inside Cheasepeke run too! I love "arriving" (New York or Miami). I REALLY hate planning a split run... airlines, layover marina location, rent-a-car! I can go on and on. End of rant! See you on the ditch. gary...

L

Larry G Turner

Sailing Alone is Great

I have only sailed alone a few times and enjoyed every minute of it. I day sail for a few hours at a time but I hope to spend the night anchored out someday. I can't add anything to what the others have said - the peace and quiet, solitude, feeling of accomplishment and all the rest contribute to the wonderful experience os sailing alone. I probably won't cross an ocean alone, but day sailing is a sonderful experience. The only difficult part is docking - but with sufficient planning even that can go smoothly. Larry, Catalina 27

J

Jeff G.

You bet!!

I used to co-own a boat with my brother and we sailed together with his wife on Lake Erie. It was fun but arranging everything with the 3 of us got very tiring. Now that I am alone on my own boat I can truly relax and enjoy. I have made accomodations to my boat to ease solo sailing, pretty much the norm. There is nothing like being able to make decisions and acting on them without the hassle of making sure it's "OK" with someone else.

G

gary@gjhconsulting.com

PAN-PAN PAN-PAN Hello all stations.

Tom. I'd only take one except to your "Solo sailors a hazard to navigation" note. I consider ALL moving vessels "hazard(s) to navigation"! If it's moving on the water... it can cause damage no matter what the level of your ability. STCW certifed or boat full of drunken weekend warriors.

S

S. Bullins

I frequently end up singlehanding simply due to the busy schedule of my two teenagers...it's hard to schedule around their high school activities! My 381 has all lines brought to the cockpit and "in mast" roller furling mainsail. I let the autopilot steer when I'm adjusting sails (I let it tack for me when the breeze is under 20 knots). Also, I tend to reef early and deep when I'm alone. The only tedius process is entering a slip alone. All I can suggest to the readers is practice walking the stern and manuavering in winds at your own dock as much as you can, preferably with a dock hand nearby!

B

Bud Harrell

If I had a partner...

I do it because I have no alternative. Being single, and not finding a life-partner who wants to sail, it is the only way for me -- and my dog Cleo... Hardest part is wanting to go it alone.

J

James rohr

Its a great way to improve sailing skills

When I first bought my boat it was lack of crew problem. I did'nt want to be stuck at dock, so I learned. First order of bus was to rerout all control lines back to cockpit. second was to tie a walk line from starboard bow piling to dock. next was a premeasured line that could be attached to starbd stern cleat, while backing in slip. next was two spring lines. two sets of hooks on pilings. spring on top,very long loops bow below.with two spring line on primarys and walk line attached i could completely control boat backing in. this setup made for easy getting into slip easy when single handing. One of the most difficult thing to learn is to get the boat perfectly ballanced so it will steer itself. once this is mastered single handing is a breese. the toughest thing with my O'day was getting the center of effort balanced. I know that on the 30 book specs call for 9" of mast rake. Don't believe it. this rig setting results in way to much weather helm. I found that 1"to2" gives an almost nuetral helm up to about 10 to 15 knots app. wind. The boat is also a lot faster I.E you don't always have the brakes on trying to keep the bow down. a properly balanced boat is a sweetheart to sail, one thats not is a BEAR.

Status
Not open for further replies.