Singlehanding

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim WIllis

Reply to Mark

In addition to the guy in Atlanta I had a video provided by the Single Handed Society (based in the SF Bay area) they had great info about emergency rudders etc as well as video people made while sailing in the Single handed transpac. Would love to discuss, as I never did do a write up. I made lots of mistakes, but in general everyting worked out fine, mainly because I spent a lot on equipment, was fit and had an auxilary inside steering station, remove on the autopilot etc. You can contact me via www.IslandGirlproducts.com where Phil has set up a link. Thanks Jim W

B

Bill Mock

Single Handing a Catalina-30

I live in Bellingham, Washington near the San Juan Islands. I do most of my sailing single-handed and I found that I had the most difficulty with tacking. My Cat-30 has only 2 winches and they are mounted well forward of the helm. Since I use a 100-percent jib which isn't as powerful as a 135 or 150, I decided to bring the jib sheets aft to the helm by way of a Ronstan track block. At the helm the sheets are rove through fiddle blocks with heavy-duty cam cleats, (one on stbd, one on port). These fiddle blocks are connected to the after port and starboard docking cleats. Although I haven't been in heavy weather with this set-up, I can now tack quite easily in 15-18 knots of wind. I could have installed new winches aft, but I wanted to try a low-cost, off-the shelf solution that required no modifications to the boat. So far, so good! Bill Mock Bellingham, WA

J

Jeff

Sometimes singlehanded

I was nervous the 1st time I went out alone. But I was having such a nice sail that when I was on the return approach to the harbor I decided to come about and stay out for another hour. It was very different ocean sailing alone but I loved it. I wouldn't want to sail around the world alone but an occasional day trip is very nice.

C

Cynthia

Love the Solitude

I love to sail alone. It's a great workout and I don't have to worry about telling someone else what to do. I always learn something when I'm doing everything myself.

T

Tim Schaaf

DON'T think so!

With regard to the oft cited "single-handers are a hazard to navigation", comment, I would like some statistical proof that this is so. In my experience, singlehanders disproportinately do NOT get into trouble, probably because we have to be very careful and foresighted. I know, I know, it is true that a singlehander cannot keep a 24 hour watch, or anything close to it, but I also know of few doublehanded or fully crewed boats where the on-watch does not also get distracted or frequently reads or sometimes goes below. Just because someone is on watch, does not mean they are constantly scanning all 360 degrees of the horizon, particularly at night. Self-steering systems have pretty much gotten us out of the habit of doing so, and the same thing happens on the big commercial boats and ships, like it or not. Radar helps a lot, and it helps singlehanders, too. Comments regarding the dangers singlehanders supposedly foist on others (and comments about their suitability as dinner guests) should be backed up by statistical facts, not prejudice. By the way, in my own statistical analysis of boats lost on the West Coast of Mexico, the most dangerous crew member is the pick-up-crew who is recruited to fill insurance requirements for a third crewmember. This person seldom has the skills of the other crewmembers, and never the commitment. In the case of a couple, the person who almost always puts the boat on the bricks is the guy (sorry, my fellow males), while the conscientious wife DOES sit glued to the helm and the horizon, and seldom loses the boat. Now and again the woman does have the accident, at about the same frequency as the singlehanders, many of whom are highly entertaining company. By the way, I assume many of us know of someone who singlehands a small airplane.....and, when you make a mistake, those things fall out of the sky.

J

Jim Haynie

Yes, Often

Knowing that I would often have to single-hand and that, even on those rare occaisions that my wife would join me, I just as well be doing so (you see, my "crew" actually is "a little over a hundred pounds of unpredictably moving ballast that bitches"), I selected my boat specifically because it would single-hand easily. Conventional wisdom from friends said stay under 35 feet, but I intentionally chose a 1988 Hunter Legend 37 due to its layout. The similar 35's by Hunter, Catalina, Benatau, and others all had the traveller (if they had one at all) positioned way out in front of the companionway where it was hard to reach. The Legend 37 of that era had it at the base of the companionway (yes, where you might be inconvenienced by it once in a while) in a spot that I can reach with ease from the front side of the helm. It self tacks very well with the autopilot and I sail it by myself more than any other way. Docking is easy if you use a springline from near amidships along either side as the FIRST thing to attach. This way, if the bow starts to pull off, just run the engine in forward lightly and the boat is drawn up to the dock to secure other lines. If the stern is pulling away it still works slowly or simply warping up with the boat hook usually works unless currents and winds are terribly against you. With her hefty alumminum toe-rail (also very desirable for short-handed docking) I simply nudge her up lightly and do not even worry about fenders and all that gear until I have her safely (though sometimes loosely) tied-up, then I go around and tidy-up all the lines and protective gear. Bought her in her 10th year after careful consideration of these factors and have carefully watched all the reviews and ads ever since--cannot find ANY boat that would be better to single-hand by any maker. Look for me on Serene Zelda on or near the Chesapeake Bay.

J

Jim Willis (agree with Tom Shaef)

Safety and Singlehanding

Radar with an alarm keeps watch better than any person can. That's what I did - went to sleep next to the radar with the steering remote in my hand! If I heard blip, I adjusted the radar for clearer signal. If it repeated, it wasn't a wave. I then looked out (pilot house) and looked for lights. I found that the radar was also good for seeing squalls and their direction

L

Lori

Ladies present and accounted for!

I have enjoyed sailing solo for many years. It was easy on my San Juan 24', and just as easy on my Ranger 29', especially since it had an autohelm. I just got a Hunter 35.5 and I'll let you know after this weekend -it has an autohelm also, and dutchman flaking along with the roller furling, so I should be set. I do it for all of the reasons listed: challenge, solitude, tough to always find crew. My work schedule is fairly flexible and my friends don't always have the time off that I can have. I am planning on taking my second cruise to Desolation Sound (Vancouver Island area, Canada) again this summer and will no doubt singlehand at times again. I don't use a harness, probably should.

K

Keith Branton

I am a frequent singlehander and leaving the dock is my problem. My pier faces west and our prevailing wind is NW. When backing out my stern gets caught by the wind before I have sufficient steerage way, and tends to push me down on the next boat. I have overcome this by having a fixed line on the pier at about my midships. led through a block fwd and then back to the cockpit, as I back out I pinch the bow in tight with this line then when clear dump it, retrieving it when I get back in. Works like a charm DRACO #2301

Status
Not open for further replies.