Single handing

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
My letters have been on for about 10 years. Had a few occasions where the stern kissed the dock and messed up the letters. If that hadn't happened, I wouldn't be looking to replace them this year.

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
I gather you put the name on the sides of the boat not on the stern? I have not installed mine as of yet. I think I will put them in the sides as well, about amidship. What color did you choose. I have mine in a medium blue.

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
I am changing the line for my main sheet. I want to put an eye splice at the end of the line. I am having a difficult time finding a fid to use on the 3/8” double braid line. The fid I need should match the size of the inner core not the 3/8 OD of the line. This may elementary to some of you, this is my first time splicing and have watched a couple of youtube. I do not want to spend lots on a fid just for one splice. Is it possible to use the barrel of a ball point pen as a fid?

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
Dave,
Have your used this type of fid before? You make a hole with the fid, then slide the line in afterwards?
I purchased the 1/8 to 1/2” fid.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
It has been many years ago since doing that. Unless you know what you are doing, may I suggest ordering a new mainsheet from the forum store which would come with that splice

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
Dave
Are you saying this because most people do not make a secure eye splice?

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
Two questions:
1. Is there any set traditions on where one puts a boat name?
2. I have seen pictures where a boat is being trailered, the bow is strapped down just like the stern. Does this not create hull stress?
Thanks
Ric

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
1. Is there any set traditions on where one puts a boat name?
The USGC has the following requirements for vessels that are federally documented. For vessels that aren’t documented these are generally considered best practice but not requirements.
  • The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull.
  • Many recreational vessels will place the vessel name and hailing port on the stern, and vessel name on both sides of the bow, which is required for a commercial vessel. Although not required for a recreational vessel, this is an acceptable option.
  • The above requirement for vessel name and hailing port to be clearly visible may necessitate duplicating the name and hailing port on either side of the hull.

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
Is there a specific letter size, must the hailing port lettering match the size of the boat name?

May 17, 2004
Is there a specific letter size, must the hailing port lettering match the size of the boat name?
This site says 4” letters or larger for federally documented vessels - https://marinegraphics.com/uscg-requirements/?amp

I can’t find the actual USCG citation. I’ve seen lots of boats with hailing ports right around that 4” size. Most boats I’ve seen use a different font or at least a different size for the hailing port from the name. It seems there are no standards on that.

May 17, 2004
Is there a color preference? Can the lettering be reflective?
Anything goes there. I’ve seen anything from plain black to multi-color patterns to gold leaf.

When we were deciding on ours I took a picture of the hull, then used GIMP (like a free Photoshop) to superimpose different options and see what would look good.

This was the superimposed plan -
1669745990848.jpeg

This was how it worked out -
1669746392686.jpeg

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
(Mare Calmo) is a classical piece?
I am naming my boat after a musical piece by Gershwin, “Rhapsody” in blue lettering.

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
In my reading of late, it has been talked about, one main contributor to shroud failure is the spreader being loose in the mast bracket. Is it possible to purchase new brackets for a Hunter 19? Or can one squeeze the spreader bracket closed with a pair of channel locks? Would it be better to replace the spreaders? Can they be manufactured easier than trying to purchase them?
Thanks
Ric