Single handing

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
What is the difference between human and animal waste? I find their distinction between the two most curious.
Question:
Would it be possible to take a mast system with a boom, leave off the boom and use a lanteen sail? Or is their some rigging difference that would prevent making this switch?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Would it be possible to take a mast system with a boom, leave off the boom and use a lanteen sail? Or is their some rigging difference that would prevent making this switch?
The sheeting angles would probably be all wrong. The mainsheet would be pulling down on the leech and not getting any outward force. That would leave the sail with too much draft and no way to introduce twist.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
What is the difference between human and animal waste? I find their distinction between the two most curious.
Question:
Human waste carries human pathogens and human diseases. Animal diseases rarely infect humans (though the exceptions are infamous, plague, cholera, swine flu, etc.).

Sure, you can go boom-less in several ways. A lateen as you said or a junk rig. You could just run a line from the clew to the stern like many sprit sail rigs do. I know someone who put a square rig on their boat as an emergency sail when their mast broke halfway up. I suspect none of these is a efficient as the sloop rig with a conventional boom, but they all work to some degree.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The question is for a hunter 19 waterballast. It is up to the owner and his money but as a former dealer involved in that design , I would not recommend installing a lanteen sail for many reasons

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The sheeting angles would probably be all wrong. The mainsheet would be pulling down on the leech and not getting any outward force. That would leave the sail with too much draft and no way to introduce twist.
There is definitely a control for twist. Inspect this picture to translate marconi rig controls to the lateen's.

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
I am thinking I will have new sails made this Fall. If I do in fact do so. I am playing with the idea of changing the color of the sails to red or possibly yellow. Is their problems with having colored sails?

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
Is there a sail maker better than another? If so, what does that difference look like?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Is there a sail maker better than another? If so, what does that difference look like?
The differences seem to be more from loft to loft than manufacturer to manufacturer. Talk to some nearby lofts to get a sense for which one will measure your boat and understands how you want to sail to give good options based on that.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Question:
Possible. Sheeting would be the easy part. A lateen generally has the mast as free standing or set midship to allow the forward arm of the yard to cross behind the forward stay.

Your center of effort relative to your center of lateral resistance will be the major consideration.

-Will

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
Does the color of a sail have any bearing on the strength of the material? I was told, Coloring the sail material weakens the material, thus rendering it sail not as strong as a non-colored or white sail.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Does the color of a sail have any bearing on the strength of the material? I was told, Coloring the sail material weakens the material, thus rendering it sail not as strong as a non-colored or white sail.
What makes you think white is the natural color of any sail? Have you considered going beyond spit balling and doing some actual research on some of your more interesting or thought provoking questions. Wouldn't that be fun?

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Ashland WI
Hay Joe. Thanks for the pep talk on being lazy. I am not sure where to do my research. So I felt that reaching out to you more advanced sailor would do no harm obvious you find them irritating. Please forgive me!!!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Hay Joe. Thanks for the pep talk on being lazy. I am not sure where to do my research. So I felt that reaching out to you more advanced sailor would do no harm obvious you find them irritating. Please forgive me!!!
Sorry my friend, if that seemed harsh. I certainly want you to know that isn't the case at all. What I wanted to do is urge you to move to another level and perhaps contribute to the group with this interesting colored sail question. Look, the only verified "experts" on the forum are Peggy (a published authority on MSD's) Don (ditto on basic sail trim) and MaineSail (who has been ill and limits his participation) all the rest of us are self appointed raconteurs with varied experiences who simply like learning from each other.
So let me help you get started: get a copy of "The Annapolis Book of Seamanship" by John Rousmaniere, also "The Art and Science of Sails" by Tom Whidden....subscribe to Sail Magazine.... and most importantly..... learn to search GOOGLE. Read the books, follow what's going on in the sailing world with that and other magazines or explore sailing YouTube channels,... and learn all the parts of a boat so your google searches can be precise. You'll also find that every sailmaker has a website, so does every hardware maker, so does every rope maker, If you google the various companies that make products for sailors you'll find they all have instructional articles and vids. Some online chandleries are: West Marine, Defender, Hamilton Marine, Mauri Pro Sailing, Velas Sailing, etc (google for more) Some hardware companies are, Ronstan, Harkin, Garhaurer Marine, Scheaffer, Lewmar, Antal, etc (google, remember) Some sailmakers are: North Sails, The Sail Warehouse, Quantum, UK, Doyle, Precision, (geez there's so many) Some quality rope makers.... New England Ropes, Samson Ropes, Marlow, Yale Cordage, Robline.... (again, google)

YouTube has lots of good stuff, lots of crap too, but skim through that on a daily basis for anything that peaks your interest. There are many instructional vids on YouTube.... watch them... and just because they are 20 - 30 years old doesn't mean they aren't relevent... most of us have boats that old or older. (mine's 46).....

Okay, my brother,.... that should get you started. You know what they say: Give a man a fish... or teach him how.... much more powerful. Now.......... please find the answer to whether colored sails are not as strong as white sails and get back to us. :cool:

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Here's a suggestion. This thread has drifted off from "Single handing" so far that I would suggest starting new discussions for new topics. I find it cumbersome, if not annoying, to open a a thread on single handing to read about sail color, and the various other topics that just don't even come close to handling a boat solo. :huh: By the way, if you are going for a post count record on a single thread, you'll never get close to "Boat Babe" :clap: