Shroud Cleat Project

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Hey do like we do in Buffalo where I grew up, just put the boat on a cradle with skis and go ice sailing. (or just stay in by the fire and photoshop a pix of it to post like we really ice sailed !)
hey Jacktar....I knew there was something up with you LOL....(I grew up there as well...)

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Now that Zuma is out the way, his cronies are being dealt with and government can actually get on with being a government under new management, the corruption is being rooted out of local Cape Town government, the plans can and are now being progressed with water saving and usage control measures, water production measures as well as repairing existing poor infrastructure. Short answer - "W-day" is pushed out to early June.

Hoping it rains like hell this winter :pray::pray::pray:
Greg, beautiful scenery you have there, except the lack of water (yikes!), praying for rain for ya!

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
Thanks for the tips guys... I'm fortunate in my area there exists an undergound river that actually flows under the back section of my property... which when I see the cracks in the walls that need regular attention may not be such a fortunate thing! So I have a well point pump installed and in the last 15 years it has never run dry... the water is good enough to use for washing and flushing the toilet and if treated correctly can be made into drinking water. The water table is a mere 3m below my ground level and having the False Bay on one side and the Atlantic ocean on the other side I don't think the water table is going anywhere soon!

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Another mini project you can do using the shrouds. It is a cheap but reliable wind gage that uses a couple of zip ties, a zip tie with a screw eye and a length of bright red nylon edging. And voila !
DIY wind gage.jpg

doeska

Oct 10, 2020
Comet 30 feet Rotterdam
Well done Jacktar, chapeau! I am simply not handy enough to do that. Recently bought a 'shroud button' at the local chandler. Also a kind of clever fitting to fasten a flag halyard ( shroudbutton.rallyandregatta.com ) But it did cost 15 euros. So way more than yours.
met-val.png
met-val.png

Mats Johansson.

Sep 14, 2014
Well if you find a small plastic cleat you can just zip tie it to your shroud but it will slip so do not get sporty with tension on the line!

doeska

Oct 10, 2020
Comet 30 feet Rotterdam
Yes indeed. The 'button' I purchased can be moved easily along the shroud, but at the same time can be fixed in any desired position, and it stays firm even in very strong winds. Not cheap but a great fitting. Maybe you will design your own clever version. Would be great. Look forward! Regards, Mats.

PS. I copied this manual file from the manufacturer's website. Shroud button Better than a shroud cleat.

Manual-T.png

Attachments

Sep 14, 2014
Yar, might do that. pretty good at reversed engineering of vancy pricey stuff for boats.