Shroud Cleat Project

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Okay first of the detailed project posts. Yes you can try to purchase this cleat from WM etc but you will find the cleat will not tighten up on a 1/8th inch shroud used on the Original Design Catalina 22. SO-----Here is how=
1. Make a template of stiff cardboard, i made a half and just rotated it, transferring it with a sharpie on to a piece of roughly 1/8 aluminum flat stock. You can do it with stainless but it will take much more work, blades and time.
Shroud cleat fabrication (1) template.jpg

2 Cut out piece with tin snips or metal coping saw and then clean edges with grinder wheel.
Shroud cleat fabrication (2) smooth edges.jpg

3 On a drill press, drill the mounting holes in both the front and back strap pieces.
Shroud cleat fabrication (3) drill holes.jpg
4 Bend top of cleat outward and then assemble cleat with stainless machine screws and nylon lock nuts around a suitable sized piece of wire about shroud size
Shroud cleat fabrication (4) bend.jpg
Shroud cleat fabrication (5) assembly.jpg

5 Ta dah ready to go to boat, and best of all check out the price!
Shroud cleat fabrication (6) testing.jpg
Shroud cleat fabrication (7) price.jpg

Finally (I know hard to read but its about 5 bucks or so.
and look how nice it looks in use on the starboard spreader hoist.
shroud cleat final.jpg

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
I like the white and blue Bavarian Flag. I grew up just south of Munich

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Not to be too much of a kill-joy, but flying other countries national ensigns ... They are not trophies.
That is great information, jackdaw, but, "not to be too much of a kill-joy"? You're killing joy here:poke:.
That boat could be FILLED with all kinds of foreign nationals. You don't know. :tongue: or, he's just demonstrating the usefulness of his new creation. :twisted:

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Also, not to be a killjoy, those edges look kind of sharp to have rope over them. My 2 centivos.

Sep 14, 2014
PY26129-
My connection is somewhat closer I was made in germany near Murnau in Bavaria overlooking Lake Chiemsee. Dad was german born US soldier, mom was french born new wife.

Sep 14, 2014
Will (Dragonfly) yep a little of both , I am of bavarian-french descent but conveniently born in the US. Qualify for dual citizenship too, just too much paperwork. And Its for the joy of demonstrating the use of my little project too. Sail on guy.

Sep 14, 2014
Ron- Its soft aluminum not stainless and I rounded the edges with a file. By the way most of the cord is actually wound around between the shroud and back of cleat so not much impact, have used for over a year and so far no problems with 100% nylon chute cord.

Oct 25, 2011
PY26129-
My connection is somewhat closer I was made in germany near Murnau in Bavaria overlooking Lake Chiemsee. Dad was german born US soldier, mom was french born new wife.
Small World: I spent the first 17 years of my life in Wolfratshausen, just east of Lake Starnberg, where I learned to sail. This Christmas we chartered out of Sabine Marine marine on Pensacola Beach and spent a great, albeit cold week cruising Santa Rosa Sound.

Matt

Sep 14, 2014
Small World: I spent the first 17 years of my life in Wolfratshausen, just east of Lake Starnberg, where I learned to sail. This Christmas we chartered out of Sabine Marine marine on Pensacola Beach and spent a great, albeit cold week cruising Santa Rosa Sound.

Matt
Well next time your in the area, let me know, will give you ride on my Cat 22 here in Pensacola.

Sep 14, 2014
Not to be too much of a kill-joy, but flying other countries national ensigns on a boat is done when visiting that country's waters, or as a sign that you have a foreign national on board. They are not trophies.

http://www.usps.org/f_stuff/etiquett.html#foreign
Nice reference but baseline was taken from Chapman's who was asked by FDR to provide guidance on flags for private vessels in the event of being incorporated into the navy in time of war. Since we are not currently at war, my boat is not drafted and all this stuff is advisory and not enforceable I think I will just carry on for now.

Oct 25, 2011
Well next time your in the area, let me know, will give you ride on my Cat 22 here in Pensacola.
Thank you and if you;re ever in Montreal, let me know and, if the water is not frozen, lets go for a sail

Sep 14, 2014
Hey do like we do in Buffalo where I grew up, just put the boat on a cradle with skis and go ice sailing. (or just stay in by the fire and photoshop a pix of it to post like we really ice sailed !)

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
Sure wish we got snow here in Cape Town seeing all the fun you guys get up to in the winter months! Of course we need the water so rain would also be high on my current wishlist!

Check out a recent photo of our local major dam, Theewaterskloof Dam, which is one of Cape Towns major water sources! There's supposed to be 13 meters of water under the stranded boats keel....:yikes:

Yep, we are on 50 liters per day per person rations!

Attachments

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
Is mid-April still the forecasted "we are empty" day?
Now that Zuma is out the way, his cronies are being dealt with and government can actually get on with being a government under new management, the corruption is being rooted out of local Cape Town government, the plans can and are now being progressed with water saving and usage control measures, water production measures as well as repairing existing poor infrastructure. Short answer - "W-day" is pushed out to early June.

Hoping it rains like hell this winter :pray::pray::pray: