SHOULD I sail this season?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Some impassioned feelings here. We live in a small mountain community about 90 miles from our boat. Here, there are some people who are very upset that people visit and walk around our lake. They think everyone should stay indoors. We do go to the boat. This is a good time for us to tackle some projects. We don't need to go anywhere. I have all the supplies we need on the boat. All (most) of the people we see are respecting everyone's space. A local YC had a sail to nowhere, a loop around the ports. Rules were famlies who live together only, no friends, no parties, no other contact. Seemed reasonable to me. We are very lucky to have a boat to go to, so I don't make a habit of publicizing where we are. The port of San Diego just prohibited recreational boating. They may have good reason, but it escapes me why being on the water with family or alone is a risk. On any given pre-COVID 19 days, the Harbor Patrol was hardly over-extended. But, as I said in the beginning, some people believe strongly that everyone should stay indoors and not engage in any recreation.

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Catalina 22 13425 A driveway in Pittsburgh
I think you have to re-evaluate on the fly. Not really possible to know what June will be like until we get there

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The port of San Diego just prohibited recreational boating.
This is happening in other areas. The state of Maryland recently prohibited recreational boating. It was a response to boats rafting up and partying, people hanging around launch ramps and marinas, and not wanting to strain the enforcement resources on the water. They did include an exception, those engaged in fishing for sustenance can boat. I hear there's been a run on fishing licenses and fishing equipment by sailors in Maryland. (Ok, I made that last part up, but when there's a rule there's always a way around it. :biggrin:)

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
there is a pandemic going on. that is 100% real!!!

i was the number 1 math student in my class in high school. won the awards etc etc ...... i'm 100% not sailing this season on the great lakes.
i'm 100% staying out of the way of those who are trying to keep society from collapse. food and shelter are all i require. being that i don't control these two simple needs. i'm 100% staying out of the way of those people that are trying to help me with my two simple needs. the local police do not need to worry about me on the water. they don't need me on the streets in the way of an emergency run. i hope the farmers farm. i hope the water gets pumped to my house, i hope the electricity stays on.

i 100% disagree with those that claim their odds for them to play on their toys is valid. this is a PANDEMIC, that i'm a 100% sure of.

i like you guys. i like sharing our points of view. i think (just my $0.02) that my going out on the highways and byways and waterways for selfish pleasures is counterproductive.

i'm more scared of roaming hoards of hungry people than than worrying then if i can play with my toys.

i hope and pray i'm wrong, 100% wrong

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN

i was the number 1 math student in my class in high school. won the awards etc etc ...... i'm 100% not sailing this season on the great lakes.
i'm 100% staying out of the way of those who are trying to keep society from collapse. food and shelter are all i require. being that i don't control these two simple needs. i'm 100% staying out of the way of those people that are trying to help me with my two simple needs. the local police do not need to worry about me on the water. they don't need me on the streets in the way of an emergency run. i hope the farmers farm. i hope the water gets pumped to my house, i hope the electricity stays on.

i 100% disagree with those that claim their odds for them to play on their toys is valid. this is a PANDEMIC, that i'm a 100% sure of.

i like you guys. i like sharing our points of view. i think (just my $0.02) that my going out on the highways and byways and waterways for selfish pleasures is counterproductive.

i'm more scared of roaming hoards of hungry people than than worrying then if i can play with my toys.

Then either the states (Governor Pritzker of Illinois likes to blame Trump) or the Federal government (people didn’t like it when Trump closed the borders) should impose martial law and lock down all travel and recreation. But that will not happen, as people need to buy food and medicine, and in general have some semblance of a normal life. The economy is already in a tail spin...imposing martial law will only make that worse.

If locking down the entire country for 2 weeks would put us past the epidemic, that would be one thing...and I think people would go with it...but we don’t know that that would get us past the pandemic.

LOOK, I am not encouraging unsafe behavior....I am saying that I can stay away from people, and self-quarantine on my boat as easily as I can do it home.

Greg

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The PH strategy is Social Distancing. The enforcement is orders to stay home. They have to do that b/c the message is not being heard or adhered to. You would not need such widespread lock downs if we were really the nation that we imagine ourselves to be. Clearly, the less-than-totally-foolish or inattentives can keep their respective distances.(I'm not referring here to forced contact, of course.)

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Jon, I get your point that it is irresponsible to do anything that risks increasing the spread, or takes away from the response efforts. But if I could go for a day sail (which I can’t because I live in Maryland), I would do that without fear that it would have some adverse effect. Grocers will stock their shelves just as effectively whether I’m sitting with my family in my house or in my boat. Healthcare professionals will not be any more burdened whether I’m sailing or mowing my lawn. The only way being on the boat is any different is the small chance that I would need some kind of emergency assistance, but the likelihood of that, looking historically at how often it happens, is pretty small. Even smaller is the likelihood that I need help, and am asymptomatic, and get close enough to a responder to possibly infect them.

I agree with KG - I’m sure the Maryland DNR is looking at the possibility of raft ups and other social gatherings that they may not have the resources to break up. So the only position they can take is to stop any recreational boating so there’s no way for people to get out at all. They probably know it’s a broad brush, but it’s the only one they have. That doesn’t mean sailing alone or with my family would be irresponsible, it just means they can’t allow it with the enforcement structure they have.

I’ll abide by their interpretation of the state’s order as long as it’s in place, but as soon as it’s relaxed you’ll find me out sailing.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
well, this is my first pandemic, maybe i'm extra nervous about the outcome.
here in toledo, all the factories are closed. all the stores that get traffic from the factories are closed. etc etc .......
during the 18 seasons i sailed on the ships on the great lakes i was not sick even one day. not getting bugs because we were not around bugs was nice.
huge portions of our society will not have the money to fead their family next week. this gives me concern.

i'll put on my Nixon mask and keep watching out the window. a mask helps, right?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I respect your opinion Jon and you ain't wrong but..I lake sail. When I go out, I anchor in a cove ALL BY MYSELF for the night. Sometimes I stay a day or two and anchor in a different cove each night...
In 45 years of sailing, I have never needed 1st responders.

The isolation is for the health of the nation, but frankly the health of the nation will suffer a lot if we all sit and watch TV for a month or two.

I think the best we can hope is that everyone acts responsibly. The people I've seen have done so with the one exception of when we (all of us) try to buy groceries. And we will continue to need to buy groceries. That part of the equation needs some logistical leadership that is lacking right now.:oops:

The grocery stores are packed.

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Catalina 22 13425 A driveway in Pittsburgh
Devil's advocate:
There is the thought that if you are out on a boat and have an emergency requiring assistance, you are taking rescue resources that could otherwise be used for pandemic concerns. Being out on a boat raises risk and rescue overhead compared to being in a land home.

Jan 11, 2014
Jon, I get your point that it is irresponsible to do anything that risks increasing the spread, or takes away from the response efforts. But if I could go for a day sail (which I can’t because I live in Maryland), I would do that without fear that it would have some adverse effect. Grocers will stock their shelves just as effectively whether I’m sitting with my family in my house or in my boat. Healthcare professionals will not be any more burdened whether I’m sailing or mowing my lawn. The only way being on the boat is any different is the small chance that I would need some kind of emergency assistance, but the likelihood of that, looking historically at how often it happens, is pretty small. Even smaller is the likelihood that I need help, and am asymptomatic, and get close enough to a responder to possibly infect them.

I agree with KG - I’m sure the Maryland DNR is looking at the possibility of raft ups and other social gatherings that they may not have the resources to break up. So the only position they can take is to stop any recreational boating so there’s no way for people to get out at all. They probably know it’s a broad brush, but it’s the only one they have. That doesn’t mean sailing alone or with my family would be irresponsible, it just means they can’t allow it with the enforcement structure they have.

I’ll abide by their interpretation of the state’s order as long as it’s in place, but as soon as it’s relaxed you’ll find me out sailing.
The Maryland order restricts recreational boating, however, it allows for fishing for sustenance. No reason you can troll with your sailboat. Get a license, rod and reel, and go sailing. Just be sure to put a line in the water. Where there is a will, there is a way.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Most of the drastic actions by officials at least around here are the result of the actions of groups of individuals with disregard for physical distancing. In our case a lot of "stupid is as stupid does." Our governor has closed public access to beaches and public access to boat launch ramps because STUPID people were crowding beaches and going to an area we call "the sandbars" in power boats rafting up in droves, making it impossible to maintain physical distance from people not in their own household living together. Since obviously some people were ignoring guidelines with no regard for others more draconian measures are about all that works. I don't like the order but I certainly understand it when people act like guidance doesn't apply to them. What are the options - how about a DNR boat with a 50 cal on the bow? A few rounds across the bow and if they don't disperse a few rounds into the hull? How about police on the beach with AR15s? A few people spoil it for everyone.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014

@jon hansen I respect your feelings and opinion. Let's not forget there are 2 risks we are talking about, the risk of becoming infected and the risk of transmitting the infection. If we work to reduce the chance of getting the infection, we necessarily reduce the risk of transmission.

If as individuals we have done a good job of reducing our chances of being infected, then there should be no problem with engaging in activities in which there is little to no chance of transmitting the infection. Sitting on our boats or sailing our boats with only those we live with does not increase the chance that we will transmit the virus. Rafting with other boats, partying on the dock or conducting our selves in ways that violate the social distancing guidelines would be best avoided.

As for first responders, will you not go for a walk around the block for fear of having a heart attack or breaking a leg so first responders wouldn't have to come to your aide? How is being on the water any different?

The most important thing to do during the pandemic is to keep our wits about us. To engage the pre-frontal cortex of our brains and keep the limbic system in check. By being rational and prudent we can do both, stem the pandemic's spread and nurture our souls.

Be safe, be smart.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
It's interesting to hear comments, some very passionate, from WI to AL, from CA to ME & MD.
Each state has it's own Stay At Home order language based on it's population densities, tourist densities, COVID-19 threats and compliance issues.
Some states have issued more restrictive SAH orders for the greater good of its people. Unfortunately those who are considerate, practice the safe social distancing guidelines and put thought into how they can continue their various activities while not putting themselves and others at risk, get caught up in these orders.
I was told today by a new friend that I appear to be a rebel since I plan to go to my boat once a week, despite the NJ SAH order. I'd rather think I'm capable of weighing the risks to myself and what I am to others and can make decisions to eliminate those risks.
I'm lucky I'm in an area while I can go to the boat with no contact to others and can avoid others once at my marina. Others may not be so lucky.

As to me going to my boat might put an increased burden on emergency responders, well, I just don't understand that. Considering I've only needed emergency responder assistance once in my 66 years, how am I increasing the odds of needing them by going to the boat vs staying at home or on my street.

One thing we all should agree on, we all are entitled to our opinions and will have different levels of anxiety during this pandemic.

jerry

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 320 500 Stockton, Mo.
:banghead:A virus is a virus. Some more virulent than others. When we have a flu epidemic what do we do? Try to avoid exposure and stay healthy. Even more important now days. I think that everyone will get exposed eventually. How we deal with that reality is up to us. I worked in hospital laboratories for 40 years and worked with HIV, Hepatitis, influenza, and what ever else came into the laboratory. To sail or not to sail can be determined by local circumstances. If you can minimize exposure by sailing in your area, go ahead. Good hygine and distancing is the best defense. :biggrin: