Should I put a 9.9 HP outboard on my 32' Catalina?

Aug 7, 2023
catalina catalina 320 norwalk
So, enough with the generalities ... what's the plan? Where are you going to mount a bracket? Do you have a plan for reinforcement? How would you operate an outboard from this platform? Do you plan to leave the motor hanging on a bracket or remove it? Do you want a motor mount to interfere with the swim platform? How would you deal with the ladder? Do you really want to make a spectacle out of your transom for the very odd chance that you might someday want to get out of a jamb with an outboard motor? If you keep the motor on a rail mount, would you really want to transfer it to a motor mount in rough conditions while balancing on this swim platform?

You are thinking outside the box, but I think it's a bad idea overall. It's a very undesirable modification for a circumstance that may never occur. Or if you are in a real jamb, you might not be safe in making it ready, limiting your ability to use it as intended. I would put more effort and expense into making sure the diesel is reliable.
View attachment 223464
I would mount it on the transom to the left or right of the swim ladder. I doubt the transom needs reinforcement given that it is a major structural element on the boat but it would be easy enough to put a piece of one by six treated decking there to spread out the load. I would leave it hanging on a bracket and fold it up to get the water out of the water. i'm not sure that it would be a spectacle given that people have dinghies with outboards and davits and solar panels and other things all over their boat. I don't think it will interfere with the swim platform. The ladder will still go down and you can still jump into the water although obviously the space will be smaller. I don't see how it could be a bad idea anymore than having a second engine on a jet is a bad idea. It can only improve safety. A back up system is always a good idea.

• Sad
Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
My Yanmar 3GM30 has 4000 hours ( 20 years old) on it. I'm thinking with an outboard too I'd have a lot of security, both in terms of propulsion and steering, plus the outboard could double as a dingy motor if I ever get a dingy solid enough for it. Any thoughts? Thanks!
That engine is barely broken in yet, what are your concerns?

• Helpful
Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
that is interesting. If I just lean on the boat when it is at the dock it moves away from the dock sideways with very little effort. That is why I figured 9.9 hp would be adequate to get it moving forward. A guy two boats away from me has a 9.9 hp on his boat . it seems about the same size as mine. Admittedly it looks a little funny. I'll take a picture and see if I can put it up here tomorrow.
A 9.9 will easily push and maneuver your sailboat. When i first bought my 36' 20,000 lb sailboat, the inboard diesel had issues so i did the same thing. I temporarily mounted a 9.9 to the transom and used it to motor from San Diego to Los Angeles. It pushed the boat at 4-5 knots in light winds and 2ish in stronger winds. The problem is getting the prop deep enough. You would need a long shaft outboard which is less than ideal as a backup dinghie motor and one of the extending outboard mounts in a previous post to get it deep enough. I had a tiller extension but locked the outboard so it couldnt turn and steered with the main steering wheel. Starting it was a little bit of a pain because you had to lean out over the transom a fair bit, at least on my boat.

As i got more sailing experience and understood my diesel engine better, i ditched the outboard and ended up selling it for a loss. When i learned to sail and subscribed to TowBoatUS the outboard turned outt to be no use.

If i had to do it all over again, i would have just spent the time and $ to hire a mechanic to rebuild or go over the inboard engine and fix what needed to be fixed. In the end it served its purpose for a while but i quickly outgrew it and regretted spending so much $ on it.

And, my engine is still running without much issue six years later.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2023
A 9.9 will easily push and maneuver your sailboat. When i first bought my 36' 20,000 lb sailboat, the inboard diesel had issues so i did the same thing. I temporarily mounted a 9.9 to the transom and used it to motor from San Diego to Los Angeles. It pushed the boat at 4-5 knots in light winds and 2ish in stronger winds. The problem is getting the prop deep enough. You would need a long shaft outboard which is less than ideal as a backup dinghie motor. I had a tiller extension but locked the outboard so it couldnt turn and steered with the main steering wheel.

As i got more sailing experience and understood my diesel engine better, i ditched the outboard and ended up selling it for a loss. When i learned to sail and subscribed to TowBoatUS the outboard turned outt to be no use.

If i had to do it all over again, i would have just spent the time and $ to hire a mechanic to rebuild or go over the inboard engine and fix what needed to be fixed. In the end it served its purpose for a while but i quickly outgrew it and regretted spending so much $ on it.

And, my engine is still running without much issue six years later.
Great story and interesting information. Thanks. PS: today you can get a Chinese outboard 9.9 for $1000 so it is not a big expense for the added security you get.

Aug 7, 2023
Great story and interesting information. Thanks. PS: today you can get a Chinese outboard 9.9 for $1000 so it is not a big expense for the added security you get.
if by chance you had pictures of the outboard mounted to your 36 ' boat I would love to see them.

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
True. I went with a brand new Mercury that had a twist shifter on the tiller. I could shift it into gear and apply throttle from the comfort of the cockpit. I thought i would end up keeping it as a dinghie motor but the long shaft does not work well for this.

Nov 6, 2020
Mariner 36 California
if by chance you had pictures of the outboard mounted to your 36 ' boat I would love to see them.
I probably do somewhere at home on the computer. I hated it every minute it was on the transom to be honest. It was an eyesore on my classic boat but not necessarily so on a smaller boat. Personal taste thing for sure...The guy i sold it to used it exactly for the same reason you are although i think his boat was built for an outboard.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I was a Catalina dealer too. The owner of Catalina yachts, Frank Butler and I were close friends. Years ago at the Annapolis Sailboat Show, a C320 owner approached Frank and was asked about adding an outboard motor to the transom as an auxiliary back up. Besides Frank’s remark. “That’s a bunch of crap”, he advised against it saying high winds, high waves and strong currents were not conducive for an outboard motor. At that point , a customer walked up and we went to look at a boat.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
I'll offer one other thought. Of all the motors I've had on boats, the most reliable have been well-maintained inboard diesels. The least reliable have been the gasoline outboards I've had on sailboats as their auxiliary, and for my dinghies. I'm selling my last gas outboard now and sticking with a Torqueedo Electric for my minimal needs for the dinghy in the Chesapeake Bay. In my mind if its down to quickly raising the jib or emergency dropping my anchor to stay off the rocks, or trying to get an outboard in the water and starting it, I'll take the jib with an anchor as a backup any day rather than a "backup" outboard. The jib and anchor are way more reliable - especially in an emergency situation - in my experience.

But as someone said, post pictures when you're done with the project.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
What's your strategy for using both of these together?
Cute. If you re-read my answer it's as below, not both at the same time:

"...quickly raising the jib or emergency dropping my anchor ..." and "...jib with an anchor as a backup ...". Which just means if the wind isn't suitable for the jib then I'd drop the anchor.

But you knew that.