Should I put a 9.9 HP outboard on my 32' Catalina?

Aug 7, 2023
catalina catalina 320 norwalk
My Yanmar 3GM30 has 4000 hours ( 20 years old) on it. I'm thinking with an outboard too I'd have a lot of security, both in terms of propulsion and steering, plus the outboard could double as a dingy motor if I ever get a dingy solid enough for it. Any thoughts? Thanks!

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
Should I put a 9.9 HP outboard on my 32' Catalina?
No!

If you want security, you should have a reliable diesel engine.
Reaching down over the stern to maneuver ( where you have no way of seeing where you are going) is not my idea of steering.

What is wrong with your Yanmar?
Age and hours don't mean an engine is on its last legs if it has been reasonably well maintained.
I am old, but still running well.

gary

Aug 7, 2023
Well the outboard would only be used in the event of a Yanmar or steering failure. Once I had a Yanmar fail, and when I was about 30' from some serious rocks as I left the harbor. ThE Chinese outboards are only $1000. Seems like cheap insurance.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
You don't say how big your Catalina is. That's an important factor. An outboard on a boat designed for a diesel is seldom a good choice for a long list of reasons.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My Yanmar 3GM30 has 4000 hours ( 20 years old) on it
Oh my... a baby... it's just getting broken in.... Like a twenty something...

My engine was 50 years old when it coughed. Then like a typical 50 year old we put it in hospital care... gave it hand loving support ... Rebuilt it.. Fired it up... Mechanic thinks it's good for another 40 years at least.

Why stick something on the butt of your boat :ass: when you got a fire inside. Take care of the Yanmar and it will take care of you.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
The '83 Yanmar in our J/36 was working fine when we sold the boat 3 years ago. And it was salt-water cooled. Keep the belts snugged up properly, the hoses tight, replace the interior anodes, change the oil and wipe her down from time to time. You have a ways to go before you need an outboard.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
The motor won't have enough power to easily control the boat. I have a 9.9 outboard and a 15hp inboard on my 25' boat. HUGE HUGE difference in control and performance. I assume you have fairly high freeboard? If so, how will you be able to steer the outboard if your steering fails. I forgot the rudder once when I had a Starwind 19. So we we motored about and I attempted to steer with the outboard. Awful experience that I swore I would avoid at all costs. Very difficult and that was a 4hp on a 1350lbs boat

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
Yanmars are just getting broken in at 4000 hours. It should be good for more than twice that if maintained. 20 years old is nothing for a reasonably well maintained marine engine - be it gas or diesel.

Aug 7, 2023
that is interesting. If I just lean on the boat when it is at the dock it moves away from the dock sideways with very little effort. That is why I figured 9.9 hp would be adequate to get it moving forward. A guy two boats away from me has a 9.9 hp on his boat . it seems about the same size as mine. Admittedly it looks a little funny. I'll take a picture and see if I can put it up here tomorrow.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
You might want to consult your insurance carrier... that boat was designed to be powered by a certain size aux. substituting an outboard could leave you with a denied claim.. Fine print is a killer, powering or attempting to power a 30' plus boat with an outboard meant for a dinghy is only asking for trouble..

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I agree with the other posts that say a 20 year old diesel engine is not anywhere near end of life, IF maintained. Change oil, filters, coolant, and check/replace rubber parts as needed or scheduled by Yanmar.
Diesels need to work hard, so if properly propped you should be running it at least 80-90% of rated RPM. Your Yanmar should have the rated “continuous speed” stamped on the engine plate or in the manual. You should try to run at that speed (or close to it) because that is what it was designed for. If you run it too slow it will form carbon deposits in the cylinders and exhaust elbow, leading to shorter life. (I went to Mack Boring, Yanmar’s US distributor, and took a 2 day hands-on owners-training course taught by the guy who trains the dealer mechanics. He put a lot of emphasis on this.)

PS - Mack Boring is located in Somerset NJ and I highly recommend this course. They do it once or twice per year and they bring in the same or similar engine model you own into the classroom so you can wrench on it, with guidance from the instructor. They teach diesel theory of operation and hands-on maintenance including valve adjustment, major parts replacement etc. You will come away with a much greater understanding of your engine and gain confidence, and that knowledge will also enable you to interact more productively with a mechanic when you need one.

PPS - A cheap $1k Chinese outboard auxiliary that’s rarely or never used, fueled by (stale ethanol) gas, does not sound like a reliable or viable backup plan. Keep your anchor ready to deploy.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2021
Hunter 23.5 Atlanta
If she's a day sailor, and you want hassle free, just go electric! Thundersruck Motors has some straightforward DIY kits, and battery prices are dropping fast. quiet, instant torque, no diesel, and no belt, hose, filter, or oil changes.

I know it's blasphemy for you stink potters, but don't knock it til you try it. The only thing I miss is the sweet smell of diesel exhaust. I am kinda sentimental about that aroma!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Under "maintenance" don't forget to have the valve clearance checked and adjusted if necessary. That is a maintenance item that is very often overlooked. Yanmar says it should be done every 500 hours.. That having been said, the most common cause of an unreliable Yanmar GM series is dirty fuel, not anything having to do with the engine itself.. Outboards are susceptible to dirty fuel too.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
Rethink what you need on your sailboat to get someplace it is not a car. For instance if you run out of gas you cannot walk to the nearest gas station in two hours even though it may only be 5 miles away. Your Catalina is not a gas sipping VW bug, even if you bump up the horsepower to 100 you will still only be able to get about 15 miles an hour out of it Max. A little temporary electric trolling motor can get you to the fuel dock or around the moorage if you want but if you have an urgent need to get that boat to a safe harbor you need to put a sailor on it.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
You can still use your dinghy motor as an emergency backup in case your main engine fails and you don't even need to mount it (but you'll need a dinghy). Practice securing your dinghy to the aft quarter of your boat. You can move and steer with the outboard (in calm weather).

Aug 7, 2023
If she's a day sailor, and you want hassle free, just go electric! Thundersruck Motors has some straightforward DIY kits, and battery prices are dropping fast. quiet, instant torque, no diesel, and no belt, hose, filter, or oil changes.

I know it's blasphemy for you stink potters, but don't knock it til you try it. The only thing I miss is the sweet smell of diesel exhaust. I am kinda sentimental about that aroma!
that is interesting. What is your best guess about installed price for the rough equivalent of 10 hp?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I guess it isn’t a terrible idea, but as others have said, it may not be the best idea.

1) best option is to make sure your diesel and steering systems are in good shape.
2) depending on where you are sailing, a Tow US membership may be a better choice for the $$$
3) you would need a long shaft outboard for this application, but not necessary for a dinghy
4) trying to mount, start, steer etc. the outboard down low on the transom is not going to be very easy. Can you even reach it from the cockpit (does your boat have a flat transom)?

I understand the idea to have some backup propulsion that may also provide some steering, but I think having a dinghy and outboard that you could raft up to the boat may be easier to use…and even that will be an adventure in rough seas or if you are sailing single-handed.

Greg