Should I put a 9.9 HP outboard on my 32' Catalina?

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
The cost and time to reinforce a transom to take the cantilever force of an OB motor is a serious (materials and engineering) matter. It will near-zero the value of the boat. Insurance company may drop you, either immediately or, worse yet, when you try to file a claim.
Learn to service the factory inboard and either do the maintenance or pay someone to do it. A 32" Catalina is a large and complex vessel, and you need to be comfortable with systems like the aux. engine and stern gear. Either that, or sell it now and buy a smaller Catalina (like the 25 or the OB version of the old 27) that was engineered for an OB motor.
As for "backup propulsion" you already have two methods of moving the boat, sail power and inboard aux. engine. Beyond that, one could add the annual subscription for a towing service, which I did when needing a tow off a sand bar many seasons ago. (!)

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
rough equivalent of 10 hp?
10hp gas is not the same as a 10hp inboard diesel. Lack of power means lack of control. You want enough torque to power through chop and heavy, winds, response time (power/torque) to stop when someone cuts you off in a marina and an engine that doesn't try to go for a swim when things get tough. I saw a 32-34' boat with an outboard anchored in 3' waves last season. While the outboard was clearly for backup only (mounted on overhung transom w/swim platform), it was going for dunks every other time the boat bobbed in the waves. @Tally Ho brings up a few good points which I will elaborate on...
you would need a long shaft outboard for this application, but not necessary for a dinghy
Even a long shaft on my O'Day 25 is prone to coming out of the water and diving into waves in heavy weather. There's simply a night and day difference when it comes to control, response, power and overall functionality. If the inboard is like driving on dry pavement, then the outboard would be the equivalent of driving on wet grass that has occasional mud patches. I'm sure it'd be even worse on a 32' boat
4) trying to mount, start, steer etc. the outboard down low on the transom is not going to be very easy. Can you even reach it from the cockpit (does your boat have a flat transom)?
Fiberglass work on an enclosed area is never fun. Where would the gas tank live? Reaching the outboard is my primary concern. Imagine trying to pull start a stubborn outboard with half your body hanging over the transom. You'll also be very prone to seasickness in this position. I had an outboard mount snap (don't use cheap mounts with plastic). It took me an hour of dangling upside down in mild to moderate waves to get it on deck. That included taking breathers between waves, looking at the horizon, etc. This was the most seasick I have ever been.

Is two pages of reasons why enough?

Aug 7, 2023
catalina catalina 320 norwalk
I guess it isn’t a terrible idea, but as others have said, it may not be the best idea.

1) best option is to make sure your diesel and steering systems are in good shape.
2) depending on where you are sailing, a Tow US membership may be a better choice for the $$$
3) you would need a long shaft outboard for this application, but not necessary for a dinghy
4) trying to mount, start, steer etc. the outboard down low on the transom is not going to be very easy. Can you even reach it from the cockpit (does your boat have a flat transom)?

I understand the idea to have some backup propulsion that may also provide some steering, but I think having a dinghy and outboard that you could raft up to the boat may be easier to use…and even that will be an adventure in rough seas or if you are sailing single-handed.

Greg
Great points. My insurance gives me free towing but I am more worried about losing power in a dangerous area. it happened once 20 years ago but I was luckily able to get a sail up and sail right into my slip. I don't think I would ever be that lucky again. In the worst case I might have to get down on the swim platform to operate outboard. Transom is not flat or perpendicular to water but the outboard mounts gives you adjustment options.

• Wow
Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
In the worst case I might have to get down on the swim platform to operate outboard. Transom is not flat or perpendicular to water but the outboard mounts gives you adjustment options.
Consider that "in the worst case" in much weather getting out on the swim platform to operate the outboard might in itself be pretty dangerous. Deploying the anchor and trying to fix the problem or wait for help might be the best way to go.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Great points. My insurance gives me free towing but I am more worried about losing power in a dangerous area. it happened once 20 years ago but I was luckily able to get a sail up and sail right into my slip. I don't think I would ever be that lucky again. In the worst case I might have to get down on the swim platform to operate outboard. Transom is not flat or perpendicular to water but the outboard mounts gives you adjustment options.
So you'll have to hop overboard and reach under or to the end of the platform? I suspect that if it's at the end it's more likely to go for a dunk or come out of the water.

Where will you keep the gas tank?

Aug 7, 2023
The cost and time to reinforce a transom to take the cantilever force of an OB motor is a serious (materials and engineering) matter. It will near-zero the value of the boat. Insurance company may drop you, either immediately or, worse yet, when you try to file a claim.
Learn to service the factory inboard and either do the maintenance or pay someone to do it. A 32" Catalina is a large and complex vessel, and you need to be comfortable with systems like the aux. engine and stern gear. Either that, or sell it now and buy a smaller Catalina (like the 25 or the OB version of the old 27) that was engineered for an OB motor.
As for "backup propulsion" you already have two methods of moving the boat, sail power and inboard aux. engine. Beyond that, one could add the annual subscription for a towing service, which I did when needing a tow off a sand bar many seasons ago. (!)

Attachments

Aug 7, 2023
this appears to be about a 27 foot sailboat. I am not sure why he left the outboard on all winter

Aug 7, 2023
Or why they drilled at least 6 extra holes (not filled?) in the transom.

Greg
Yes I saw that. Perhaps getting it in the right position required a little trial and error. Seems they are having fun and not worrying about much!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That may be his auxiliary. You can see the depth of the motor when down. Not very deep. Going through any choppy seaway would present a problem.

Monohull sailboats float much like corks over waves. When trying to force a boat over a wave,
  • the bow and the stern can rise above the peak of the wave
  • If the happens while sailing it is a non-event.
  • Bow rises out of the water,
  • the wave rolls through,
  • the stern comes out of the water,
  • and the boat slides down the back of the wave into the trough.
With an outboard powering the boat, when you ride over the crest there is the issue of the outboard coming out of the water and racing in the air.

There is less of an issue when the auxiliary engineis beneath the boat bottom.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
I had a Yamaha 9.9 long shaft high thrust on my 1974 Catalina 27. It worked great, but you need the long shaft and high thrust prop for a sailboat. Also the transom will really need to be reinforced, and a place for the gas tank, etc. It's not a casual mod. If I were to do it I'd mount it on a spring loaded mount on the stern. Something like this, rather than cutting a hole in the transom like older Catalinas:

1710104325493.png

Lastly, the 9.9 outboard is like 87 lbs and has fuel and throttle connections, so good luck pulling it off the sailboat and putting it on a dinghy. No way I'd do that. Agree with everyone else - rebuild the diesel.

• Helpful
Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
The boat in that picture has a rather low freeboard which makes it feasible to operate. I'm guessing it's a 25' as the C27 has a higher freeboard if I remember correctly. My 25' has a higher freeboard than this boat. I suspect that there was a different mount on this boat. There's a wide hole pattern and a narrower one. The holes in the transom look like they were for a wider pattern but the mount you see is narrower.

You will never have the same amount of control with an outboard as you would with an inboard. I'm speaking from personal experience having both an inboard and outboard on the same boat. You'll also experience slower response, steering abilities will suffer as the prop is no longer in front of the rudder, much longer stopping time, prop will come out of the water at times (difficult and slow trip back to the marina during storms), it will be difficult and dangerous to operate, you will need remote controls to operate it in a safe and reasonable manner!

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2023
The boat in that picture has a rather low freeboard which makes it feasible to operate. My 25' has a higher freeboard than this boat. I suspect that there was a different mount on this boat. There's a wide hole pattern and a narrower one. The holes in the transom look like they were for a wider pattern but the mount you see is narrower.

You will never have the same amount of control with an outboard as you would with an inboard. I'm speaking from personal experience having both an inboard and outboard on the same boat. You'll also experience slower response, steering abilities will suffer as the prop is no longer in front of the rudder, much longer stopping time, prop will come out of the water at times, it will be difficult and dangerous to operate, you will need remote controls to operate it in a safe and reasonable manner!
no one said it would be equal to the inboard just that it would be a good emergency backup system.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
it would be a good emergency backup system.
Don’t you mean.. a good emergency back up to the auxiliary back up.

Our primary on a sail boat is sail power. If the wind blows we are sailing.

If it is calm we are sipping beer and looking for wind. If need is to get home because we left the kids in the back yard or playing on their gameboy, then we can fire up the inboard.

Better plan is to go sailing and take the kids. no worries.

Here is the power boater back up plan…
Pontoon Party
1710172568691.jpeg

Can you have too many?
1710172602669.jpeg

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
Rethink what you need on your sailboat to get someplace it is not a car. For instance if you run out of gas you cannot walk to the nearest gas station in two hours even though it may only be 5 miles away. Your Catalina is not a gas sipping VW bug, even if you bump up the horsepower to 100 you will still only be able to get about 15 miles an hour out of it Max. A little temporary electric trolling motor can get you to the fuel dock or around the moorage if you want but if you have an urgent need to get that boat to a safe harbor you need to put a sailor on it.
A Catalina 32 is never going to go 15 MPH regardless of HP. It is a displacement hull and is limited by physics to its top speed. The hull speed is around 7 knots.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
So, enough with the generalities ... what's the plan? Where are you going to mount a bracket? Do you have a plan for reinforcement? How would you operate an outboard from this platform? Do you plan to leave the motor hanging on a bracket or remove it? Do you want a motor mount to interfere with the swim platform? How would you deal with the ladder? Do you really want to make a spectacle out of your transom for the very odd chance that you might someday want to get out of a jamb with an outboard motor? If you keep the motor on a rail mount, would you really want to transfer it to a motor mount in rough conditions while balancing on this swim platform?

You are thinking outside the box, but I think it's a bad idea overall. It's a very undesirable modification for a circumstance that may never occur. Or if you are in a real jamb, you might not be safe in making it ready, limiting your ability to use it as intended. I would put more effort and expense into making sure the diesel is reliable.
IMG_2139.jpg

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
A guy two boats away from me has a 9.9 hp on his boat . it seems about the same size as mine.
Is that the picture of the ~27 foot boat in post 27? That’s not really “about the same size” as a Catalina 32 from a propulsion standpoint. A Catalina 27 displaces 6700 pounds, and the boat in the picture appears to be a lighter racer cruiser design than that. I’m guessing it’s not more than 6000 pounds. A Catalina 320 displaces 11,300 pounds, plus a lot more tankage and storage capacity than the 27. To a reasonable approximation that’s double the weight, and you need to move that much water out of the way every time you move a boatlength; not like a car that you just need to get rolling.

Hanging 100 pounds on the stern is also not going to do any favors for your boat’s handling. The ends of the boat are the last place you want that weight in terms of making the boat hobby horse. You also won’t want an expensive outboard sticking off the transom when you’re backing into a slip.

I think the time you spend engineering how to attach an outboard for that boat would be better spent making sure the diesel is in good condition. And the money it would take buying and retrofitting the outboard would be better spent on tow insurance.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
no one said it would be equal to the inboard just that it would be a good emergency backup system.
Please note you asked forum for their opinion. So far, you are the only one who thinks it would be a good emergency backup system.
Your dock neighbors boat, in the photo, is more likely a 25' boat or less going by that transom hung rudder.
tfox2069 posted he had a 9.9hp on his Catalina 27.
Note the displacement for a Catalina 27 is listed as 6,300 lbs. Your Catalina 320 is close to double the displacement at 11,250 lbs.
An outboard on your 320 is just not a good emergency backup plan for propulsion.

I agree with the others and added a couple of thoughts:
Keep you diesel well maintained, including changing the fuel filters yearly.
See your steering system well adjusted and lubricated.
Have an anchor ready to drop at a moments notice.
in tight quarters have fenders ready to deploy.

And congratulations on your 320. Very nice boat.

Edit: I see @Davidasailor26 posted about the displacement while I was typing.

Aug 7, 2023
Is that the picture of the ~27 foot boat in post 27? That’s not really “about the same size” as a Catalina 32 from a propulsion standpoint. A Catalina 27 displaces 6700 pounds, and the boat in the picture appears to be a lighter racer cruiser design than that. I’m guessing it’s not more than 6000 pounds. A Catalina 320 displaces 11,300 pounds, plus a lot more tankage and storage capacity than the 27. To a reasonable approximation that’s double the weight, and you need to move that much water out of the way every time you move a boatlength; not like a car that you just need to get rolling.

Hanging 100 pounds on the stern is also not going to do any favors for your boat’s handling. The ends of the boat are the last place you want that weight in terms of making the boat hobby horse. You also won’t want an expensive outboard sticking off the transom when you’re backing into a slip.

I think the time you spend engineering how to attach an outboard for that boat would be better spent making sure the diesel is in good condition. And the money it would take buying and retrofitting the outboard would be better spent on tow insurance.
tow insurance won't do any good if you are too close to big rocks when your engine fails. tow insurance seems to come with most insurance policies these days.