Shaft log hose stuck

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
I am attempting to replace the shaft log hose on my 1984 C30. It is the original hose and was surprisingly in far better shape than I thought it would be. The hose is obviously stuck onto the shaft log and anyone familiar with a C30 will know that the clearance between the bottom of the shaft log and the hull is very small. Essentially the hose is crammed between the hull and the log. I cut away most of the hose, but the bottom third of the hose won't come out.

I have tried spraying in-between the rubber and the shaft log with aerokroil and silicone spray, and I have tried attaching vice grips to the remaining part of the hose and pulling like hell. Today I made a garret wire out of wax covered string and 2 screw drivers to attempt to cut/wiggle/wedge it in-between the hose and log to "break the seal" nothing seems to be working and if I can't get the remaining hose out I am dead in the water (or dead on the hard) however you want to look at it.

The picture here isn't the best but the remaining piece of hose is stuck tight. Any suggestions would be truly appreciated:beer:

Shaft Log.jpg

Please excuse the appearance of the bilge. It is going to be cleaned and painted with bilgekote before I splash this spring

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Try attaching a hook through a drilled hole in the remnant, attached to a 'come along' or your main sheet block and tackle to get some oomph on your pull.
Or, try to cut the underside of the remnant with a exato knife.
Or, remove the shaft log with a gear puller.
Or, drink more and use C4 on the guy who used 5200 to seal it in the first place! :yikes:

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
Or, remove the shaft log with a gear puller.
Or, drink more and use C4 on the guy who used 5200 to seal it in the first place! :yikes:
The shaft log is glassed in so using a gear puller is a no go.

There is no 5200 used from the factory on it, just old sticky hose. C4 may become an option depending on my frustration level, but I have to read through my insurance policy more carefully to see if "random" explosion is covered under my hull policy ;)

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
IF you have enough to work with you might try drilling thru and thru and inserting a decent screw driver. push/pull to loosen. The heat gun is a good suggestion to use with this. Depending on how much and what type of weasel piss you sprayed, I'd keep a fire extinguisher close at hand if use do use the heat gun..

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
Looks like you have tried removing the two hose clamps, but couldn't. Try clamping your largest vice-grips on the screw end of the clamp and use the shaft log as a fulcrum and see if you can work out the clamps from the sides of the log. Put a piece of wood on the log to protect it from scratches. You might need a pipe extension on the vice-grips to get enough force. With the clamps removed, you should have a fighting chance to remove the hose.

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
How about a 1/8" drill bit inserted between log and hose and let it walk itself around log

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Pick a dull bit or make it dull on concrete or maybe a nail u need the friction to break the bond not something sharp to damage the glass log

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I couldn’t get mine off the stuffing box when I replaced mine. Much easier to work on than your situation, but I think I had to cut it length wise and pry it off the stuffing box.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Maybe a dremel grinder to cut away the piece sticking out from the bottom,then cutting around the perimeter of the f/g pipe.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Just guessing here. Can you remove the clamp? Might give you a bit of room to wiggle.

Your description makes me think the hose has swollen. Perhaps a hose puller tool could help.
E886A1EF-D01D-4CD6-89A8-C51277D89048.jpeg

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
I couldn’t get mine off the stuffing box when I replaced mine. Much easier to work on than your situation, but I think I had to cut it length wise and pry it off the stuffing box.
That's how I got the rest of the hose off, there is just absolutely zero clearance underneath it to cut the bottom section.

Just guessing here. Can you remove the clamp? Might give you a bit of room to wiggle.

Your description makes me think the hose has swollen. Perhaps a hose puller tool could help.
View attachment 173195
The clamps are in there just as tight, couldn't get them to budge either. I might try the vice grips and come along method next.

I have far bigger projects to tackle before the spring and this was not one of them I was counting on :banghead:

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Before you bring in the heavy equipment, try a Dremmel vibrating blade cutting pieces away. Oscillating tools can reach into those tiny spaces.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
You said the shaft log is glassed in. And no clearance between shaft log and hull. So if you were to see-saw with a steel wire the remaining of the hose flush with the hull, how much shaft log would then be exposed ? If enough to slip a new hose on with 2 clamps, that might work. Just an idea !

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
Before you bring in the heavy equipment, try a Dremmel vibrating blade cutting pieces away. Oscillating tools can reach into those tiny spaces.
Good idea, It makes me a little nervous that if I slip or judge it wrong I can end up doing an immense amount of damage to the log though. Definitely a tool in the box that I can use if needed.

You said the shaft log is glassed in. So if you were to cut the remaining of the hose flush with the hull (see-sawing with a steel wire), how much shaft log would then be exposed ? If enough to slip a new hose on with 2 clamps, that might work. Just an idea !
That might work, I'll have to look at it a little more closely. The hose clamps that are stuck in there may be an issue though.

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
One thought a friend just gave me; Is there any type of chemical like acetone that would soften or partially dissolve the rubber without hurting the fiberglass in order to get it out?

• Helpful