Shaft log hose stuck

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Yeah, if the clamps are still on and tight, you have to cut them off. Can you get a vibrating cutter blade in there and cut the gear off the clamp maybe?

How the heck did someone get the clamps on in the first place?

And how are you going to put new ones back on?

on edit...
After looking closer at your photo, I guess the clamps are cut, but stuck under the hose.
Can you pull those out from under the hose ? they are probably adding to the friction on the hose. Pull them out from the side if you can, from the gear end;-)

Drilling a hole or 2 in the hose, and running some stout wire or strong rope through the holes may give you something to pull with. I did the same thing trying to pull some sanitation hose out this summer. Get as far back from the end of the hose as you can to keep it from pulling through.

Toluene may soften/ dissolve rubber, but I am not sure if there are additives in the hose that make it more chemical resistant. Plus it is some nasty stuff, you probably don’t want to mess with it.

Good luck, this must be frustrating as all get out...but be patient, you will get it eventually...just don’t make it worse!

Greg

Last edited:

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Hole saw slightly larger than hose OD might help. Looks like you have to remove some fiberglass under the hose anyway. Hose clamps will grab saw so hold tight and proceed slowly.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
That hose is wire reinforced. See if you can get a grip on the wire that reinforces the hose and try to pull it out with vice grips. Then get some wood carving tools, you can buy them as a set and start carving the rubber away. The tools come in various shapes including curved so you can work away at the hose getting it out in pieces without damaging anything.

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
That hose is wire reinforced. See if you can get a grip on the wire that reinforces the hose and try to pull it out with vice grips. Then get some wood carving tools, you can buy them as a set and start carving the rubber away. The tools come in various shapes including curved so you can work away at the hose getting it out in pieces without damaging anything.
The hose on my Sabre was like that also & that's how I ended up getting the balance of it off. Slow & methodical with the chisels. Cleaned the log up with plumbers Emery cloth/sandpaper. It was almost like the hose was put on the shaft log right after being glassed into place. Boats, boats, boats. What you going to do..

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I just found the "Helpful" symbol on my Fire. Hold the 'like' symbol down and I can choose btwn 'Like ' and 'Helpful' . Didn't even know the choice existed before. How long have I been in the dark? On the choices I mean.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
How long have I been in the dark? On the choices I mean.
Not long at all.

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
I finally got it off and figured I'd give some closure to the problem. I'm not sure why I didn't try this earlier but if you look in the picture the remnants of the hose are outlined in blue. I stuck a long set of needle nose pliers way in the back (red arrow) and kept prying it forward alternating sides, while pulling on the front of it with a pair of vice grips. Only took a few minutes and it all finally came out!!

Thanks all for the help

log.jpg

Apr 28, 2005
Oday 302 Lake Perry, KS
Thanks for the final update!
Nothing is more frustrating than to follow a thread of good advice, learn good things along the way, and then.....crickets! Congrats on your success - and for posting the solution that worked along with pics.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
While a conventional stuffing box will work fine as long as you monitor it faithfully, you might want to consider a PSS shaft seal.
We changed our boat to that system in 1995. We are only -recently- on our third bellows replacement, and those have all been precautionary with never a hint of a failure.
As noted and observed, access (!) is the key... and a lot of that was set in place when the boat was built. (Some boats appear to have been 'built around the engine' with no thought to servicing. (sigh...)
Ours has easy access to this area -- we were very lucky in this, considering that we did not know enough to put engine and shaft access on the top of our "feature list" when shopping for boats! :)

Fair Winds in the New Year!

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
While a conventional stuffing box will work fine as long as you monitor it faithfully, you might want to consider a PSS shaft seal.
We changed our boat to that system in 1995. We are only -recently- on our third bellows replacement, and those have all been precautionary with never a hint of a failure.
As noted and observed, access (!) is the key... and a lot of that was set in place when the boat was built. (Some boats appear to have been 'built around the engine' with no thought to servicing. (sigh...)
Ours has easy access to this area -- we were very lucky in this, considering that we did not know enough to put engine and shaft access on the top of our "feature list" when shopping for boats! :)

Fair Winds in the New Year!
I would love to do a pss shaft seal, but I do not believe they can really be done on a C30. If anyone knows different please let me know, I would much prefer to have one

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Many C30 owners have the PSS. I opted for the Lasdrop Gen II on my H30. Same basic installation steps.

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
Many C30 owners have the PSS. I opted for the Lasdrop Gen II on my H30. Same basic installation steps.
I didn't think there was enough clearance for the over flow tube when going in reverse. Do you/ anyone have any pics/ tips for my boat?

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
I didn't think there was enough clearance for the over flow tube when going in reverse. Do you/ anyone have any pics/ tips for my boat?
Not sure about your terminology -'overflow' tube. Not sure what going in reverse would have to do with it. (?)
The newer models do have a fitting on top for a small dia. tube to vent out air on displacement boats like ours. The older model did not have nor need such a tube. I asked a company rep about this at the boat show a decade ago and he agreed, tactfully and noncommittally, that their attorneys had advised this move. There was a small possibility that the un-vented model might be resold or repurposed into a faster powerboat. For those applications, where the shaft alley could be sucked dry, water injection from the exhaust mixer is used.
Having said all that, our shaft has little "down angle" and never even usually needs to be burped upon re-launch.
I betcha that other Cat 30 owners have found a solution to this and can describe how they did it. :)

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
I second a LasDrop. Pretty easy install, soap the end of the shaft & feed it through. Easy, no messing around with bellows or set screws....

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
Not sure about your terminology -'overflow' tube. Not sure what going in reverse would have to do with it. (?)
The newer models do have a fitting on top for a small dia. tube to vent out air on displacement boats like ours. The older model did not have nor need such a tube. I asked a company rep about this at the boat show a decade ago and he agreed, tactfully and noncommittally, that their attorneys had advised this move. There was a small possibility that the un-vented model might be resold or repurposed into a faster powerboat. For those applications, where the shaft alley could be sucked dry, water injection from the exhaust mixer is used.
Having said all that, our shaft has little "down angle" and never even usually needs to be burped upon re-launch.
I betcha that other Cat 30 owners have found a solution to this and can describe how they did it. :)
The impression I was under from something I read about PSS shaft seals (which could very easily be incorrect) was that when reversing especially for long periods of time i.e. when starting in reverse to set your anchor or to charge your batteries, the cavitation can cause an air pocket to build in the shaft hose and you need the tube allow a way for the air to escape so you don't lose lubrication.

Hopefully I am incorrect because I would definitely love to install one

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
On my stuffing box shaft log, I have a hose 1/4” that takes raw water from the Heat Exchanger and moves it to a fitting on the shaft log. It appears to provide pressurized water to flow into the shaft log. I guess to blow out any air that may find its way up the shaft log.