2020 policy survey results

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Thank you all for participating in the survey! I would normally run it longer but the results we clear. Not just clear, actually, but overwhelmingly in favor of no change.

So here's the result:

- No changes in the profanity guidelines

- We are going to make one small change to the Likes button. This was suggested by someone who left a survey comment, and I think it's a terrific idea. When you put your cursor over the Likes button you will now see two options:

1.png
The thumbs-up you're used to seeing and a light bulb

2.png
The thumbs-up can be used the same way it's been used in the past. For posts you like, find valuable, or enjoy for any reason at all.

3.png
And a light bulb that is to be used for posts you find helpful. This should only be used for serious content, great ideas, extra effort, or something that provides value to you as a boat owner.

We'll give this a try for a couple of weeks to see what you think. If you have comments please leave them here or PM me. Thanks!

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I like the light bulb idea. Don't know who thought of that, but that's a great idea!

dj

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I like the light bulb idea. Don't know who thought of that, but that's a great idea!

dj
An excellent idea. Too many "likes" are based on humor and political tribalism, whereas the light bulb icon adds the ability for respondents to discern.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I still don't know how I missed it but found the deleted survey.

I'm glad SBO kept the Like button. This seemed useful right from the start to eliminate posts just to say you confirmed reading the post (sometimes important), or you liked the content. A no-brainer for forums as it eliminates boring long scrolling threads.

On the profanity, I never knew there was a rule. If you can't come up with a better adjective than f**king -----, you should take an english class(not to mention in correct context of the word,...). Glad that didn't change.

Thanks for doing the survey, SBO!