Shaft and Strut Material

Jan 18, 2021
Hunter 40.5 Burnt Store Marina
Hell all,

Anyone know what the original strut and shaft material for the legend series was? Just hauled out and definitely need some antfoul love.

Thanks

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Curious why, are you replacing them? Are you looking for information / recommendations on antifouling? To your question, you can verify the material composition with a Positive Material Identification (PMI) handheld gun. My guess is the shaft is 316 stainless steel, albeit could be copper bearing metals like Naval brass, various bronzes, and Monel alloys, and the strut is bronze. This site sells a strut and shaft for your 40.5 and you can also confirm the material with them in the links below or other supply houses like Deep Blue Yacht Supply: Boat Propellers, Prop Shaft Seals, Shafts, Zincs, and Marine Hardware (deepblueyachtsupply.com) .

40.5 shaft: Hunter 40.5 shaft, propeller shaft fitted and faced with 5 inch yanmar coupler (hunterowners.com)
40.5 strut: Hunter 40.5 strut (hunterowners.com)

If you replace the strut and/or shaft you might find these threads about a 40.5 strut and shaft replacement helpful:
Replacement strut for 40.5 | Sailboat Owners Forums
Surprise!! Shaft wear by packing nut | Sailboat Owners Forums

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021
Hunter 40.5 Burnt Store Marina
Definitely painting it. I got some velox plus for it. If the shaft and strut are aluminum I will need to epoxy primer.

Feb 21, 2013
I would be very surprised if shaft was solid aluminum vs. solid stainless steel is stronger and aluminum does not hold up in salt water. Please let the forum know if you find out otherwise. Thanks.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
Definitely painting it. I got some velox plus for it. If the shaft and strut are aluminum I will need to epoxy primer.
As far as paining suggest finding out what you boat marina neighbors use and what you diver (bottom cleaner) recommends for your area. I would be very surprised if solid shaft was aluminum vs. stainless steel (shaft in post #3 is stainless steel) since the latter is stronger and holds up in salt water. The strut will be bronze and should already have a barrier coat and painted. Suggest taking a photo of the shaft and strut and posting.