Replacement strut for 40.5

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter Legend 40.5 Rock Creek
My boat was hauled this past week and I discovered that the strut was bent. I don't know about the shaft yet. My questions are as follows:
1. How/where do I order a new strut. I see some reference numbers on my current one.

2. Is this a job that I can tackle myself? Has anyone here done this? I can envision the steps but have never done anything like this. What would be first step? etc.

Thanks for any help you might give.
David Knauer

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
David:

Contact the HOW store. I believe that they have a source for these.

Personally I would have the yard replace the strut, but that is your call.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
The only complexity to replacing the strut on a 40.5 is removal of the rudder in order to pull the shaft. To drop the rudder, you need the use of a travel lift or a big hole.

Nov 1, 2007
-Hunter -430 Shediac, N.B.
Hi David I had a 40.5 before the one I have now. I change the shaft and had two choices drop the rudder or the strut. I dropped the strut. You have to take the four bold out and carefully remove the caulking around and underneath the strut. When you put it back in make sure you caulk it well and applied even pressure on the four bold as you tighten them that it set properly in the new caulking. Hope this help.
Jean Guy

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
I don't have your boat.

But just to say that I did replace my strut by myself several months ago ... no prior experience. So it is doable. On my boat, with the prop removed, there was enough of a gap between the end of the shaft and the rudder so that old strut could be removed and the new replaced without having to take off the shaft/rudder.

I wrote up the details of my experience on the Hunter Cherubini forum. If you are interested, here is the url to it. Might contain something of interest if you decide to DIY the repair. See post #10 in the thread:

http://forums.hunter.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=1123679&highlight=strut

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
I replaced my strut in the spring on my 40.5. It had snapped in half due to corrosion.

It does require some work but yes it's doable. You can order the part on the website as suggested above. It may not fit exactly, this was the case on my boat. It took a bit of work to aligniit properly. We actually had to bend it some; it is obviously critical that is aligned both vertically and horizontally.

It is a bit tricky because it will shift as you tighten the bolts. So it's a two person job to make sure you maintain alignment as you tighten. Also make sure you clean up whatever bonding material they used at the factory and replace with yours.

In my case I needed to remove the shaft to remove the strut. Removing the coupler can take a bit of work too and you will need an extractor. Patience and elbow grease were required in my case. Check and change your coupler if it shows some use, esp if you have a max prop or similar that has tons of torque on reverse.

Finally you will likely need to realign your engine, i had too as well.

While you're at it, i'd check that your shaft is strait, any good metal shop can measure that for you. I had to replace mine (about $700)

It worked out great for me but had to go through all the steps. I have no vibrations at all at any RPM and all feels very smooth, much more so than before.

I will try to post some pics tomorrow.

good luck

frederick
pardon my french
seattle