Self Sheltering?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I have had several days of having to do this. So I began trying to find as much information on this Virus and much more.
I would like to share information on possible help, to at least the Sailboating community.

Since John, @jssailem and I communicate closely on the Weather & Forecasting forum, I was especially concerned for the Pacific Northwest Sailors and Southwest Canada.
I wanted to share some of the information here and not limit the discussion.
______
We recently had a discussion on Mold Control inside our boats. I urged cautions on the the use of

OZONE [O-3]

Poor venting by design

However Ozone will kill all viruses, mold and mildew in your cabin.
Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I also have a membership in the Over the Counter [OTC[ drug testing site that tests claims and contents of OTC and best buys.
I like them because they are a sciencfic testing laboratory and they give much information and do reviews of real research and give you real science links.
To give them Credit...
ConsumerLab.com - independent tests and reviews of vitamin, mineral, and herbal supplements

Major topic of discussion is...
What are natural remedies for coronavirus (COVID-19)? Do supplements like zinc, vitamin C, or herbals work?
_____
Top of the list is Vitamin C and Vitamin D of course, but a few more that reduces symptoms or inhibit grow might surprise you.

Example from them...

Echinacea
Studies in laboratories (but not in people) have shown that certain species of echinacea may inhibit coronaviruses. However, there is no evidence at this time that taking this or any other echinacea product can prevent or treat coronavirus infections in people.

A laboratory study that has not yet been peer-reviewed or published found that a particular branded form of echinacea inhibited specific coronaviruses, including (HCoV) 229E, MERS- and SARS-CoVs, and the researchers suggested it could potentially have a similar effect on SARS-CoV-2, the coronavirus that causes COVID-19, although it was not tested
_____
Good information.
Stay safe...
Jim...

• Helpful
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I've heard from a Naturopath Physcian that the Vitamin C and D are good antioxidants that can help. Also that Zinc has potential as an antiviral.

Seek help from you physician about supplements.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Also that Zinc has potential as an antiviral.
Zinc (and Selenium) Pills and Liquids

Supplementing with zinc (such as with regular tablets) would not benefit most people unless they are deficient in zinc, which is more common in elderly people due to reduced zinc absorption. In such people, supplementing with zinc (e.g. 20 mg per day) may improve the chance of avoiding respiratory tract infection, as suggested by a study of elderly people in nursing facilities in France. (People in that study were also deficient in selenium -- which is uncommon in the U.S. -- and were given 100 mcg per day, which is about twice the daily requirement.) Others who may be low in zinc include vegetarians and people taking certain medications, such as those that reduce stomach acid and ACE inhibitors, on a long-term basis. The daily requirement for zinc varies by age, but, for adults, is about 11 mg.

Those links above from Consumerlab will not work. Exception is the first Blue Zinc link.
I do, but I am a paid subscriber.

Zinc throat lozenges do help if you are deficient.
Jim...

PS: This Zinc will not help avoid Galvanic Corrosion.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Studies not peer reviewed or published and lab tests without human subjects are "good information"?
Yes, it was good information about rumors around many OTC so called "cures"

When there are good studies on various OTC's, they note it with references.

Vitamin D is a good example to help our bodies ward off many aliments. You also need some Sunshine to activate Vitamin D.
Jim..

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
After listening to Task Force potential therapeutics for the virus, a bit of research I did indicates the Zinc in your bloodstream is also needed with them to , lets say "activate" the medication.

Sound very promising.
Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Other information about older people and the virus.

Most problems occur by being sedentary which lets the lungs accumulate fluids.

So get outside and actively work on your boats!!!:clap:

I am installing a new 16kBTU AC on my boat in an hour!:biggrin::biggrin:
Jim...

PS: I am taking beer for me and my helper. The AC weighs 76 lbs.;)

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Vitamin D is a good example to help our bodies ward off many aliments. You also need some Sunshine to activate Vitamin D.
Here is a link about Vitamin D. I knew a little about it but found the article informative.

I do agree with the healthy diet, get outside and stay active strategy.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
[QUOTE="JamesG161, post: 1620871, member: 123859"

I am installing a new 16kBTU AC on my boat in an hour!:biggrin::biggrin:
Jim...

PS: I am taking beer for me and my helper. The AC weighs 76 lbs.;)
[/QUOTE]

Jim,
Alcohol is known to inhibit the immune response. Better hold off on the beer and drink Milk. Just kidding; we need to take care of our mental health also!

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I am installing a new 16kBTU AC on my boat
Job done!
Old out , new installed and running...

3 hours, 15 minutes, 4 beers...

The day was perfect 72° with a South Gulf breeze..
________
Alcohol is known to inhibit the immune response
Not true!!
You can use cheap vodka to wash and sanitize you hands.;)
When they sneeze on you, see how fast your respond!:biggrin:
Jim...

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Today I had to drive to the Biloxi MS , Veterans Hospital for a test that had been planned for a month.
The streets were active and most places still open, but MS has only 80 cases and 1 death by Virus 3/19/20.

But...

The VA entrance road was changed.
I was stopped and detoured after telling the guards of my appointment.
They routed everyone through parking areas and side streets to another blockade.
A nice nurse standing back about 10 feet was asking more questions about my health and purpose here.
Did i have a temperature? Was i feeling sick? Why I was here? etc. [Armed security making their presence obvious]

They passed us to my appointment. My wife, Sue, decided she didn't want Valet parking which was close to my test area. Why? She did not want the valets in the car, after parking many other cars.;)

Dropping me off, I walked down the main hallway, but "pine pollen" had me "sniffling". Boy did I get wide space to walk.:biggrin:

Then I began tickling throat type cough, went to get a men's room paper towel to cover face and an extra hand protection.

When I got the the elevator, they were scrubbing all elevator entry surfaces down. The cleaner watched me touch the UP button with my clean paper towel, got a big grin.

Sat down after distance talking to check in.

I was still doing a little cough , once is a while.

They took me to an isolated room, asked about the cough and then stuck a temperature probe in my mouth.
97.2°.
The nurses looked very relived as I explained the sinus tickle cough.
-----
After test they told me, after today the VA facility was only taking Emergency or Critical Patient care for
2 weeks.

They are very serious.
_____
During the minor test, a person walked in and asked the nurses if they hand plenty of ... X, Y, Z etc, on hand.
They said yes.
He ask if they had scissors.
Nurse: Yes!
Person: Good you can cut "X" in half to make two. [I use X to avoid what they were talking about]
_____
We had Dominoes pizza for supper. We carried out.:cool:

Stay safe...
Jim...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Wow... Right out of the 70'S with short white shorts, long white boots dancing in the background of the Singer... Then you get to glimpse the dancer in chartruse and black green paisley... We were real sharp dressers back then.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Number of published studies indicating alcohol's effect on the immune system making one more susceptible to infections, cancer, etc.
Not hard to find those statistics nor indisputable.

Cheap vodka is not an acceptable substitute for a hand sanitizer, need a minimum of 60% alcohol content to be somewhat effective or approximately 120 proof......don't see much of that on the shelves. Warm soap & water washing of hands for 40 seconds much better.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Cheap vodka is not an acceptable substitute
I have been joking around about cheap vodka.
You can use this not so cheap vodka or blend it with cheap vodka to the Purell 70% level.
Everclear (alcohol) - Wikipedia

Many small distillers around the country have been offering to make a Purell substitute, if you bring in the bottles.
If you make brandy or vodka or most "first pass" alcoholic bottles it is only ≈40% alcohol.
You must do fractional distillation to reach the maximum of Everclear level.
Ethanol used to blend in gasoline must be "Dried" to go into that blend.[% Ethanol beyond Everclear]
Why?
Ethanol and Water form a Azeotropic mixture.:pimp:
______
In my youth, I did the "make it yourself" challenge.:shhh:

It took 4 passes of batch distillation to reach everclear. In simple terms...
Distill first pass, to the second pass , to the 3rd pass....
From making peach wine, 35 gallons, ended with 1 gallon of everclear.

Talk about "Greased Lightning".:yikes:
Jim...