Selden in mast furling system

Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 386 Lake St. Clair
When you unfurl your mainsail, does the sail come out of the slot on the mast? The reason I ask, when trying our boat out last weekend, all went well until we tried bringing our mainsail back it. It was jammed up. After inspection, I noted the bottom of the sail where the tack is connected was jamming on the mast. I was able to pull it out, then have someone pull on the furling line to get the mainsail to go back into the slot of the mast. It looks like there is a block on the end of the boom that can be adjusted. Would I need to adjust this?

Jun 2, 2011
Hunter H33 Port Credit Harbour, ON.
I have a 33 and have seen this happen after sailing close in high winds. Usually very tight on the out haul. It is the hard plastic luff tape on the lower part of the sail which is not engaged in the furling foil that comes out of the mast slot. If it happens I can usually force it in with the furling winch but I have had to go to the mast and poke it back into the slot before furling the sail. Maybe more so when the sail was new. I think if the luff tape was a little shorter it would eliminate this but I keep forgetting to mark where the ideal length would be before removing the sail in the years that I send the sail for service.

Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 386 Lake St. Clair
Thanks all. We plan to take her out on Friday night, so I'm going to take a close look then.